K340 - wow
May 31, 2006 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

barkas

Head-Fier
I just received my AKG K340 (stock)
340smile.gif

I can just say - wow. Unamped out of my audigy 2 (headphone out), these are without any doubt the best headphones I have ever heard (not that this is saying much), there are things in some songs I was never able to hear until now. I have to add, I came from sony ex71 to shure e3c to UE Super.fi 5 Pro, and haven't owned any other headphones of note.

I may have to fix some things, though, the self-adjusting headband doesn't seem to self adjust any more, and the ear cushions aren't that good any more. Any suggestions what replacements and where to get them (in germany, if possible)?

May 31, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 31
NM about cushions and headband, I found another thread.

But, I just opened them
smily_headphones1.gif
and they have white diaphragms with black covers and a black dynamic driver housing. Does anyone know what version that is?

May 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 31
After electrostatic headphones and the K1000, the K340 is probably the worst headphone ever to try and run directly from a soundcard.

I sense much amps in your future, but beware the dark side.

May 31, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
After electrostatic headphones and the K1000, the K340 is probably the worst headphone ever to try and run directly from a soundcard.

I sense much amps in your future, but beware the dark side.

Hahaha, I just got the image of a very confused person trying to plug an electrostat into his Audigy and getting really angry.

"Stupid bastards at the yard sale lied to me!"

May 31, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 31
Glad to hear you are enjoying them... wait until you hear them with a good amp.
340smile.gif

The elastics are easily replaced. The pleather earpads should be quite easy for you to order since you are closer to AKG than the rest of us. I would recommend the velour earpads that were recently released though as they improve comfort and tune the bass a bit. You can also ask about the K501 headband if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket as this increases comfort a tad and makes them look dead sexy.

As for mods, there are other threads on this subject... and once I get around to it I will be making a K340-centric thread with a lot of info. Just no time lately, and my home computer recently died and was just resurrected last night.
tongue.gif

May 31, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Hahaha, I just got the image of a very confused person trying to plug an electrostat into his Audigy and getting really angry.

"Stupid bastards at the yard sale lied to me!"

I had this same problem after I got my first electrostats.

wtfipodjack.JPG

[/threadhijack]

May 31, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 31
You may order the earpads from AKG Germany. Just check out the www.akg.com and find the nearest dealer for parts.

May 31, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
I had this same problem after I got my first electrostats.

wtfipodjack.JPG

[/threadhijack]

HAH! You win, again!

May 31, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 31
I realize the ipod won't be able to drive these phones, but the audigy with the external module and dedicated headphone out should be able to, the ipod with cmoy (gain 11) drives them, too.
I might even build a PPA or PIMETA or (omg) a M^3
smily_headphones1.gif

I have come in contact with www.rw-soundsystem.de, which is the parts dealer of AKG here.

May 31, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
I realize the ipod won't be able to drive these phones, but the audigy with the external module and dedicated headphone out should be able to, the ipod with cmoy (gain 11) drives them, too.
I might even build a PPA or PIMETA or (omg) a M^3
smily_headphones1.gif

I have come in contact with www.rw-soundsystem.de, which is the parts dealer of AKG here.

I think there's a difference between just driving them and driving them well. Those babies REALLY need juice, man. I think you'd need a minimum of a PPA or PIMETA to truly wake them up in the morning.

May 31, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 31
I might be able to check if they are getting enough current soon. At least I didn't hear anything obvious like clipping.

I'm also not really sure if you don't overdo it a bit, I mean, recabling, the M^3 amplifier ...
wink.gif

The guys at rw-soundsystem.de wanted to sell me leather cushions
frown.gif
They probably thought I had misspecified the part number.

May 31, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
I just received my AKG K340 (stock)
340smile.gif

I can just say - wow. Unamped out of my audigy 2 (headphone out)?

Man, I've just spit the coffee all over the table.
Unamped, stock, Audigy, there's definitely lots of headroom for improvement and a far greater wow factor.
In any case, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back