K340 Recable Time
Dec 7, 2006 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Well I have all my parts to recable my K340's, save for some heatshrink to make it look better. Got a couple questions though. When recabling, I am supposed to wire the dynamic driver and the PCB in parallel right? So it would be Plug>Dynamic Positive>PCB Positive and PCB Ground>Dynamic Ground>Plug? I should also cut the wires going from the PCB to the dynamic driver, right? Also, for the 1/4 TRS, I got a Cardas 1/4 stereo plug, which doesn't really look like it has any solder cups for the ring or sleeve. Should I just use lots of flux and try and get it to stick on the surface of the ring and sleeve?

Aditya

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 7
ask Larry. he probably won't divulge all his secrets but whatever he does to the K340s is pretty darn amazing.

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I did my recable, I just replaced each section of wire with my new wire. I did not change the wiring part. I don't think it is wise to do so.

Many people have had good results bypassing the PCB for the dynamic driver. According to AKG's K340 Service Manual, neither driver has a crossover, and both are run full range apparently. The dynamic driver is attached to the PCB, but it is just a straight trace, so by bypassing the PCB, you get rid of 4 solder joints, 2 copper traces, and 2 extra wires to the dynamic driver. The PCB is there so the headphone can accomodate the step up transformer for the electret.

My main issue I guess is more so with the Cardas 1/4" plug rather than the K340 recable. Though while I was looking at the PCB, I noticed that there were two holes that led to copper traces but I can't really see where the traces go. The problem is I have no idea of the transformer's pin-out, so I can't really trace their path either. Anyone seen this before on their PCB?

Aditya

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, I just finished the first half of the recable, and let me tell you, soldering Cardas wire onto a Cardas 1/4" plug is a royal pain in the ass! The wire itself was rather fragile, and on my first attempt, I ended up losing about half the strands in one of my exposed segments, so I had to cut down by a cm or so. Getting a soldering iron in there is also insanely tough, as there really is no open area where I can stick the iron in to solder the ground connection. Thankfully the signal wires were faster, but my goodness, I'm happy I don't have to do recable jobs often! Granted, I will soon be soldering Cardas GRFA's for my SOHA soon, and hopefully that will go somewhat more smoothly...

Now, to perform the actual recable procedure...

Aditya

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 7
I found this really helpful when recabling. Check it out
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=akg+k340

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow, thanks a lot for that! I was going to solder the wires to the original "hot" pads on the PCB, but now I see that the wires going from the driver to the PCB are attached to the same traces, so it may not be much, but thats still about a cm of trace I don't have in the circuit.

Now, I also have some 18ga 6N UP-OCC wire from Neotech, which I could use to replace the thin wires from the dynamic driver to the PCB. Could I use this stuff with good effect, or should I buy some small guage copper or silver and use that? Since these wires will be carrying the signal to the electret, I have heard that a fine gauge wire works best, since the larger gauges can muck up the treble. Would it be worth it to do this at all?

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back