K340 ist die Bombe!
Jun 18, 2005 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bookkeepers_son

Head-Fier
Well, there you go. Title gives it away. I got the K340 today. Primary inspection shows it to be in good condition, just some scratches on the stainless steel trim on the outside of the earcups that niggle a little bit, but overall they were fine. Wanting to do a quick and dirty deal, and not being inclined to set-up the tube system, I unhooked the cables from the speakers and plugged them into the ASL adapter. I used an original (clamshell) Rega Mira. I'm just a lazy person nowadays with regards to using my supposed-to-be higher end system (but it's there when I need it
smily_headphones1.gif
) The Rega Mira when used with a good quality source like my old-but-still-graceful Naim CDP is more than enough for my flat-earth taste these days.

Anyway, plugged in the K340 into the ASL, let it play half a song to energize the electret, and then I put them on. OMG! The K501 definitely didn't make this kind of first impression on me. The highs were clear, clean, and exquisite, as only electrostatics can do. The midrange is very full, smooth, and a bit lush. The bass is sufficient. Not as tight and overdamped as the K501, but goes lower. Grados still have more bass impact, even with my SR-60, and my memory of my long-gone RS-1. I actually don't like breaking up the frequency range like what I just did, as what's more important for me is if it plays the tunes, and lord, does it ever! The RS-1 back then didn't hit the spot for me, which could be because I knew what I would be getting, having lived with the SR-60 for years before I got the RS-1. The K340 was like a left hook to my face out of nowhere. More importantly for me, as a self-confessed flat-earther, is the PRATy nature of the K340 which keeps you involved in the music. But in the same vein, I don't dwell too much into staging and all that jazz (anymore), so staging-lovers, take my views with a grain of salt. In that department, the RS-1 driven correctly has the K340 beat. I am sure that modding the K340, especially replacing wire with some OFC copper or something more exotic/modern would up the soundstaging ante, but right now, I'm satisfied.

Also another caveat is that I am not a classical music buff (I listen to smaller works, though). But everything else...Some music I played throuh K340: "It's For You" - Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays, Only Living Boy in New York - EBTG, Wichita Lineman - Cassandra Wilson, Comeback - Josh Rouse...

So, there you go, the fun begins...Alessandro MS2s coming next week! And I have to try other amps still...

Thank you K340 fanboys for bringing my attention to these wonderful cans, philodox (you're right, I might not need HP-2s anymore.....nah
smily_headphones1.gif
, aerius, and others.

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Do you know which version you have, i.e. AKG logo on headband, what color passive drivers?

I've never met headphones that change bass so much with positioning on ears. With back of ears touching pads, I get gobs of bass, but in more "normal" position, almost no bass, kind of like AkG K1000's with drivers swivelled all the way out.

Speaking of K1000, your setup with those Cary amps are just screaming for K1000.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Do you know which version you have, i.e. AKG logo on headband, what color passive drivers?

I've never met headphones that change bass so much with positioning on ears. With back of ears touching pads, I get gobs of bass, but in more "normal" position, almost no bass, kind of like AkG K1000's with drivers swivelled all the way out.

Speaking of K1000, your setup with those Cary amps are just screaming for K1000.

That's weird, cause I get great bass when in the normal position. I've tried them with the Cary. The great thing about that amp is that it bypasses a normal gain stage, making it ideal for headphone use. The K340 loves current. I thought it sounded best with KT-90s in pentode mode
smily_headphones1.gif
KT-90s also have less warmth than EL-34s counterbalancing the K340's innate warmth. I also tried my K501s, and those loved EL-34s in triode, the polar opposite of what matched with the K340s.

I haven't opened them up, and the way things are going (me being happy about the sound), I probably never will, or at least delay it 'til necessary, so not sure about the color of the drivers. Can you see them through the holes?
BTW the AKG logo is on the headband.

Yeah, K1000s...maybe later..after HP-2s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Congratulations, welcome to the team.
340smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Pics!!!
340smile.gif

Alex, Ray's K340 is the one I modded for him I told you about.

Ray, I took the liberty of ordering a steel plate and screws from Alex for you b/c I didn't have such things when i modded your right-side headphone. You can put it on yourself to make it look nicer.

bigplug5dm.jpg

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Ahh well thats cool. I have already cut the 2 plates and just need to drill the hole and then packed up and shipped. I will get them out tomorrow.

-Alex-

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Alex, Ray's K340 is the one I modded for him I told you about.

Ray, I took the liberty of ordering a steel plate and screws from Alex for you b/c I didn't have such things when i modded your right-side headphone. You can put it on yourself to make it look nicer.

Hey, Jon...Ray here. Not sure what you're talking about. Is the steel plate some kind of strain relief? If you're going to send it down, I'll take it, thanks. We could probably pass on UPS this time
smily_headphones1.gif
Or I might make it to the So-Cal meet in August (schedule willing and if in Irvine). I'd like to meet my K340's other master
smily_headphones1.gif

Which brings me...I haven't posted any impressions yet on the recabled (and re-stuffed) K340s on the board. Well, I'd like to say that it improved on the K340's strengths and enhanced some of its weaknesses. That dark, luscious mids was not lost and, in fact, gained more effortlessness by probably lowering the noise floor. The bass that was full before remained full but gained a sense of tightness, and its now more extended on top, whereas before, you get this exquisite-sounding high frequencies but slightly lacking air at the very top. Overall impression is of much cleaner sound, less strain, more extended both ends, but topper is that heavenly midrange becoming even "more heavenlier"
smily_headphones1.gif

What the mod didn't really change was that the K340 remains a power hog. With the various amps I've tried it with, I get the impression that it does not really care if the amp used is tube or solid-state as long as it has enough grunt to drive it. You know what, though, I tried it with my iPod, and volume maxed, I get enough level to enjoy Rickie Lee Jones and somesuch and cool jazz. Not advisable, but it reaaaaallly sounded effin' great! Thanks again!

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookkeepers_son
Hey, Jon...Ray here. Not sure what you're talking about. Is the steel plate some kind of strain relief? If you're going to send it down, I'll take it, thanks. We could probably pass on UPS this time
smily_headphones1.gif
Or I might make it to the So-Cal meet in August (schedule willing and if in Irvine). I'd like to meet my K340's other master
smily_headphones1.gif

I made a few extra custom brackets to hold down the wiring on the other side since the stock cable goes into only the left ear there is no bracket on the right side to hold the cable down. I am sending one to you and one to Jon. It will get shipped out today. There will be a bracket and 2 screws. All you have to do is take the 1 screw out and take the outside cup off. And then screw down the bracket so its holding the cable down like so:

03.jpg

Enjoy your headphones!
340smile.gif

-Alex-

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 14
[AK]Zip said:
I made a few extra custom brackets to hold down the wiring on the other side since the stock cable goes into only the left ear there is no bracket on the right side to hold the cable down. I am sending one to you and one to Jon. It will get shipped out today. There will be a bracket and 2 screws. All you have to do is take the 1 screw out and take the outside cup off.
[AK]Zip said:
Hey, man, thanks! You be feelin' the K340 love, brother, spreadin' it around...it's a love thang, y'all
340smile.gif

[AK]Zip said:
Enjoy your headphones!
340smile.gif
[AK]Zip said:
Thanks, I know you're enjoying yours, too.
340smile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
my thoughts exactly
wink.gif

Just to perpetuate the situation[of inflated used pricing]: I find the AKG K340 to be one of the most natural sounding headphones, if not the most natural sounding headphone, that I've ever heard for music such as blues, jazz, classical, opera, piano, etc.[I use a different headphone for electronic, metal and modern pop type music], regardless of price. I've tried most of the hi-end headphones.
icon10.gif

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back