K340 help: amplification or aesthetics?
Aug 19, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 22
All right I don't really want to get rid of the 340s-- Philodox's cat might bite me. I expect I could sell the current amp relatively quickly for about $300+/-.

So, to change the question: Is the darkvoice 336 (?) my only highly recommended amp at or below about $400. Any solid-state options?

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #18 of 22
You are forgetting the MG Head...don't discredit it so easily. That and I would go with tubes if that's fine with you, SS just does not quite do the trick with K340.

On the case of bass-light vs bass-heavy - the bass-heavy versions sound more like they are deteriorated. Maybe that is where the amplification needs people speak of come from, but the treble is too weak and unattractive on em it seems - while with the bass-light, likes of Philodox's, the bass itself is not a problem at all once there is enough juice flowing.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsr3823 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All right I don't really want to get rid of the 340s-- Philodox's cat might bite me. I expect I could sell the current amp relatively quickly for about $300+/-.

So, to change the question: Is the darkvoice 336 (?) my only highly recommended amp at or below about $400. Any solid-state options?

I wouldn't settle with the Darkvoice 336i for the K340. For the genres you mentioned it might do the trick, but I went from that to an M^3 (more well rounded, useful for a wider range of music, smoother sound, tweakable but not necessarily better bass, especially depending on tubes used in the 336i) to a Cayin HA-1A (better still), and I'm still left with the clear sense that I'm not driving them to their full potential. If all you want is a little extra bass, consider an M^3 with variable bass boost, which makes the K340 sound quite good but not superb. Edit: MaloS' suggestion is also probably a good one.

I think I'm actually going to set up the Cayin/K340 now and take a walk down memory lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back