K3000 on headphile!!
Feb 17, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sounded unique. They're much darker than even the HD650, so take that into consideration.

Thank god for this, I thought I was going to have to buy them.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW: When I bought them I paid $1300. Two weeks later one side stopped working, so I sent it back to Larry and he fixed it and sent it back. A week or two later the same side stopped working again, so I sent it back to Larry. He told me it would require new drivers, which were another $300 or so -- he offered to buy them back from me for $900, and I took the $900, as I didn't want to risk them breaking again after the repair.

They failed twice in three weeks - I'm a bit surprised you weren't refunded the full purchase price. Is this standard practice in the U.S, or was the damage caused by you?

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by animaal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They failed twice in three weeks - I'm a bit surprised you weren't refunded the full purchase price. Is this standard practice in the U.S, or was the damage caused by you?

In general answer to this, a custom order or commisioned item (which these were) is generally not refundable whether headphones, a car or any product (if fixable should something happen).

New K1000 drivers were used and after just two weeks a coil wire failed at the connecting post (factory connection failure by AKG). I attempted and thought to have fixed it (fix was free), though later it stopped working again.

However, before I heard about this second failure, the customer took it upon themself to open the headphones and attempt a repair. The coil wire was then fried down too short to even reach the post after that.

Basically at that point I could have said "you're on your own" but offered to put in a new driver (at cost and labor) or buy them back less that cost (which I did). Thankfully I was able to innovate a permanent fix, as K1000 drivers skyrocketed in price (along with CD3000). The same headphone built today would be 1600-1700 just for the starting parts, with no mods! There will be no more pairs though...

Now seems like a good time to mention this general tip... For all customers of any equipment that anyone sells, DON'T TRY TO FIX SOMETHING YOURSELF! Unless you are willing to accept the chance of not being able to get any further service, or paying possibly much more in the end.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #36 of 39
um yeah, never diss Larry or there will be.....difficulties.

it is understandable that you might question the return without hearing the full story btw so I'll let you slide just this once.

k1000smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #37 of 39
It should be perfectly understandable why I attempted to fix them, considering the difficulties and cost shipping to and from the US, plus the risk involved (necessarily underdeclaring them both ways, as Customs does not understand 'returned for repair'). Especially having them failing again so quickly after a supposedly permanent initial fix was extremely frustrating.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #38 of 39
of course that's understandable. point is there's no blame here just a series of unfortunate events.
regardless, that's a sweet pair of cans and about as rare as they come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back