k240s or MS-1s unamped
Jan 30, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 28
I prefer my AKG K240S to the Grado SR60 and SR80 that I've heard. The Grado had an involving sound, but the highs just pierced my eardrums, I felt like I was being fed razorblades directly into my ears, not very pleasant. The comfort of the Grados are horrible too, it may be alright for very short listening sessions, but don't underestimate the importance of a comfortable headphone.
The AKG K240S are not the perfect phone, by no means, but they seem to be able to handle any kind of music I throw at them. For me they are very comfortable, but your ears do heat up after a while. The build quality and look of the phones is also a lot higher than the ca $100 suggests.
But driven by a portable player just doesn't do them just, but with just a little bit of more juice, even the lineout of my onboard soundcard can power them, they start to shine. My NAD receiver drives them beautifully.

With the AKG K240S you will not be disappointed, but they do need some amplification.
The Grados are more of a gamble, both with comfort and with the highs.

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 28
The MS-1s are said to be more neutral according to most persons. The high frequencies are attenuated compared to the Grados. I'm just trying to avoid buying an amp right now.

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 28
you're a head fi member, you wont be able to avoid it for long
600smile.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #19 of 28
Lol funny you should say that. I was just checking out the Pocket Amp2. Man I really need to stop coming to this site. I need to just make a purchase and never come back!

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 28
I don't understand why people recommend full sized cans for portable use.They all sound slugish and uninvolving to me.Am I the only one around here who is sensitive to underdriven headphones?Portables are really all fairly low quality sources.Expensive headphones driven by these things gain you nothing.Until meridian comes out with a battery powered GO8 that you strap on your back,stick with portable headphones for portable players.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 28
Well, most of the current DAPs run phones like the ms1 quite easily. Much better than say, many current unamped portable cd players (which are oten quite anemic in dynamics and volume). I wouldn't use a high-end full size like the sennheiser 5/6**, dt880, Rs1, etc. though. Even amped. Unless, I already had it as part of my home rig and felt like going outside and having people stare at me and tell me to turn it down.
600smile.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I don't understand why people recommend full sized cans for portable use.They all sound slugish and uninvolving to me.Am I the only one around here who is sensitive to underdriven headphones?Portables are really all fairly low quality sources.Expensive headphones driven by these things gain you nothing.Until meridian comes out with a battery powered GO8 that you strap on your back,stick with portable headphones for portable players.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

what underdriven ?

I defy anyone here to show me a source that will not drive my pair of MS-1s to more than enough volume to do hearing damage.
In three years of plugging these suckers into every manner of sources,including those cheasy little MP3 players i get more volume than most do amped but with far less efficient headphones.
amping these puppies only improves thiongs a BIT but the lack of an amp is no great loss.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Lol funny you should say that. I was just checking out the Pocket Amp2. Man I really need to stop coming to this site. I need to just make a purchase and never come back!

your wallet will thank you
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

what underdriven ?

I defy anyone here to show me a source that will not drive my pair of MS-1s to more than enough volume to do hearing damage.
In three years of plugging these suckers into every manner of sources,including those cheasy little MP3 players i get more volume than most do amped but with far less efficient headphones.
amping these puppies only improves thiongs a BIT but the lack of an amp is no great loss.

Most portable players have enough gain to make most full sized headphones play fairly loud,but I have never heard any that sounded good to me due to being underdriven.None sounded as good as a $15 koss which are designed to be driven by low powered portable players.Very dynamic sounding.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 28
ssportclay, point taken. Yet the MS-1 is so insanely easy to drive that it has more volume and dynamics then the KSC clipons unamped through my little MP3 player, and the KSC is actually designed for portable use. The difference is easily noticable. Unless you're going to be using your MP3 player outdoors where you need isolation and a more discret looking 'phone then definately a canalphone/earbud/clipon would make more sense but if you plan on using it indoors or out of other devices aswell then I think the MS-1 is the good choice. fwiw, even after owning the Koss plugs for more than 4yrs I never once took it outside, oh the shame of it all.
tongue.gif
(and j.h christ has anyone worked out a way to get those buggers to stay yet)

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 28
guess i'll just have to buy the 240's for now, and see if they make me want to commit suicide, and then buy ms-1's.....or if i like them and chill out and save for a900's
smily_headphones1.gif

ms-1's have been tempting me but idk.

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #28 of 28
If the MS-1 weren't out of stock right now I would have ordered them last night! I can almost smell them. I think I'm going to eventually get them and break them in for a few weeks, and try the Senn Pads (yellow ones). Then I'll probably buy a cheap amp that's portable. Not that is needs to be because I won't be leaving the house with it. What do you guys think of the "Pocket Amp2" from Gary at http://www.electric-avenues.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back