K240 as introduction to AKG?
Mar 18, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Fair enough... if you prefer inaccurate "excitement" to hearing the music as it actually sounds, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not hi-fi, of course. I really wanted to like the K240S, but a headphone that imposes lower frequencies on the entire spectrum isn't going to be on my head.

Hmmmm, I think you're still trying too much of an objectivist approach there - I see it more in terms of "pick your personal poison". For example, for you the K240S bass seems to bleed too much into the midrange - that's surely a problem, if one perceives that. However, that doesn't happen to me with the K240S - to me, it still seems fairly transparent for whatever reason (individual fit, base tone/harmonics listener type, system synergy...). Now, the easy explanation would be: Lini, you're a basshead. But am I? Strangely enough, I usually prefer bookshelf speakers to otherwise similar floorstanders (e.g. my own Opal 607 to the 615 - and I'd probably rather enjoy a ProAc Tablette than a Quadral Titan
wink.gif
) for bass precision and better imaging - and I dislike the DT770Pro/250 mainly for its overpowering bass coupled with totally drowned out mids, while I do enjoy the DT531 very much. I also did like the K501 very much for quite a long time - it's just a bit too bassless for the music I like these days. Planning to give the K601 a try, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Hmmmm, I think you're still trying too much of an objectivist approach there - I see it more in terms of "pick your personal poison". For example, for you the K240S bass seems to bleed too much into the midrange - that's surely a problem, if one perceives that. However, that doesn't happen to me with the K240S - to me, it still seems fairly transparent for whatever reason (individual fit, base tone/harmonics listener type, system synergy...).

Maybe so, but it's hard to see why bass would bleed into the midrange for one person and not for another, unless the headphones themselves varied. I tried them with a Go-Vibe and a Pimeta, which are both 'standard' amps that have no unusual bass response. The Pimeta in particular with dual stacked buffers should be able to drive the K240S nicely (it certainly cleans up the Koss 60-ohm drivers), but I definitely still got the bass bleed with many recordings.

Hmmm... could be that I'm a bit "bass-phobic" actually, although I'm not the only head-fier who feels the K240S have lots of issues. Didn't care for their comfort either (but that one *is* purely subjective).

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

The K240S sounds nothing at all like AKG's high end cans. It's like deciding not to get the HD600/650 because you didn't like the sound of the HD280 Pro... frankly, it doesn't make any sense.

I thought that there was a 'house' sound linked with these phones. (Rather like the Senns and actually, less so, the Beyers.

My feelings were that the AKG's were strong in the middle frequencies and rolled off a bit up top? Some of the high end a bit light in the bass? I just figured, light in bass, rolled off top - you're left with middle which is what I believed the AKG's are well known for. I really can't understand how the 240s is supposed to be a studio phone unless that's just advertising hype.

Maybe that makes a bit more sense, but I'm not really tempted by them basically because there was a lot of lurve for the 240s on these forums, and I just couldn't connect with them.

btw - please don't start talking down to me. I will not reply if you do.

Ian

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I thought that there was a 'house' sound linked with these phones. (Rather like the Senns and actually, less so, the Beyers.

My feelings were that the AKG's were strong in the middle frequencies and rolled off a bit up top? Some of the high end a bit light in the bass?

Yep, I think that's the classic AKG house sound. The K240S are definitely rolled off on top, but unlike the K501 they have too much bass (IMO), making them an opposite in that department. I didn't think they fit the classic AKG house sound, and thought they *did* definitely sound like "DJ" phones. The marketing speak on the box the headphones came in suggested that's who they're aimed at.

Quote:

btw - please don't start talking down to me. I will not reply if you do.

Huh?
confused.gif

P.S. the OP was talking about the AKG K240M or DF, which I understands sounds much different than the K240S.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Yep, I think that's the classic AKG house sound. The K240S are definitely rolled off on top, but unlike the K501 they have too much bass (IMO). I didn't think they fit the classic AKG house sound, and thought they *did* definitely sound like "DJ" phones.

Huh?
confused.gif

I'm referring to 'colours of squares' and 'don't make sense to me'. Sometimes, the 'flavour' of your postings are not very kind. That's what I'm referring to. Until this week, I have blocked your postings because of the tone of a lot of what you say. I turned it off this morning and up you've popped again!!

If the 240s don't represent the classic AKG sound, then the answer to this post is maybe they are NOT a good intro to the AKG range? I feel that way if the others are very different. I didn't realise that they were supposed to be DJ phones! Again - strange because they don't block sound from the outside. I find the 240s a strange headphone in that it is NOT a studio phone as they say and to me, it is not a good dj phone either because it isn't closed.

The 501 has perked my ears, but the 'middly' sound of the 240s was just not hi-fi to me and I'm not certain whether the 501 is a 'development' of the same drivers yet. The lack of bass (as some put it) may be useful for clarity in orchestral stuff because I have found for my ears, that strings do no not sound good on Senn 650's. Much better on 880's although (and please don't get offended) there is still a top end edginess with strings on them. Maybe a good string tone is hard to get (and I work all the time in orchestras and bands so maybe I hear them from a different perspective) The new 880 seems to edge it down a fraction and sound a tad more 'comfortable' to me.

edit: by edginess - I mean that mellow sound that you hear in an orchestra when you sitting in the oboe seat. If headphones get this 'mellow' sound, it seems to affect their perceived resolution.

The 501 or 601 could be a compromise but ... more money. I'm not sure that it would be satisfactory for me.

Ian

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I'm referring to 'colours of squares' and 'don't make sense to me'. Sometimes, the 'flavour' of your postings are not very kind. That's what I'm referring to. Until this week, I have blocked your postings because of the tone of a lot of what you say. I turned it off this morning and up you've popped again!!

Well yeah, take a look at my post count
icon10.gif
. Sorry if I've sounded that way, I basically had a full blown case of Seasonal Affective Disorder this winter. Anyway, it's your option of course whether or not to reply to my posts... I'm aware I've been on the hostile side sometimes and am trying to keep it under control.

Quote:

The 501 has perked my ears, but the 'middly' sound of the 240s was just not hi-fi to me and I'm not certain whether the 501 is a 'development' of the same drivers yet.

To my ears, the two phones sound *completely* different. That's not to say someone who disliked one would like the other, and vice-versa. It's really up in the air how any given person will react to the K501's bass response, but they're very coherent, clean cans otherwise (albeit on the lean side), IMO definitely "hi-fi." The top end is smoother than the DT880, if that's a concern (in fact I'd say it's very slightly rolled off).

Not sure about the 601, but makes sense it would be an improvement on the K501, as it's a much newer model and the numbering system suggests it's higher in the AKG lineup. Plenty of info to be found on both cans elsewhere on head-fi, particularly the K501.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I basically had a full blown case of Seasonal Affective Disorder this winter.

Not sure about the 601, but makes sense it would be an improvement on the K501, as it's a much newer model and the numbering system suggests it's higher in the AKG lineup. Plenty of info to be found on both cans elsewhere on head-fi, particularly the K501.

In that case, my apologies for being obtuse back to you. (On that occasion). That's one of the reasons I recently popped over to Florida - basically for work and also for sun. UK is bad too for that. Have you tried those light screens?

I think that headphones are a problem for musicians. (Unless you use them as a working tool and don't take too much notice and just get the job done.) I know for a fact that they hugely influence the way that I play in a studio. (This is why I have so many!!!!) If you hear an oboe or sax sent back to you in a studio on some of these phones, you'd think I was playing a Wallmart plastic toy not the expensive stuff I play.

There is a certain mellow sound that you get from live strings, even if you're sitting by them that headphones don't easily capture and I suppose my description of headphones basically comes from the string tone and funnily enough, the sound of spoken voice. (Especially men)

Most headphones don't really work for me because I start to focus on perceived weaknesses in order to assess their usability at work. I suppose I should stick to one headphone and learn its signature, but because I work in so many different fields of music, I hear different ways in different studios.

In the UK, AKG's are not easy to come by and audition and I'm kicking myself for believing posts on Headfi and getting the 240. I wish that I had gone for a 501 as a middle of the road to give me a proper taste of AKG. Still, it's all tax deductable.
tongue.gif

Ian

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 28
Ian: I'd say, the midrange of the classic K240M and the K240S are fairly similar, but that's about it. But then, I'd find it difficult to pick out one single representative for the AKG house sound, anyway. But the same actually goes for Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser just as well. It's probably Grado that offers the most coherent line-up in terms of sonic signature.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Ian: I'd say, the midrange of the classic K240M and the K240S are fairly similar, but that's about it. But then, I'd find it difficult to pick out one single representative for the AKG house sound, anyway. But the same actually goes for Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser just as well. It's probably Grado that offers the most coherent line-up in terms of sonic signature.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Hi Lini,

Sorry. I should have replied earlier.

I must have got confused with different versions of the 240. I always thought that the 240s meant that the s stood for studio, which perked my ears up at the silly price. (EXTREMELY low) Also, there were loads of comments on Headfi saying how good they were. I was very disappointed with them but if your mix is a bit muddy .... boy do these show it.

I know that Fewtch likes the 501 but he also shows signs of disliking emphasised bass and he comments on a slight lack on low frequencies. This is useful for orchestral/chamber music, even if timps lack the 'thwack' followed by the 'rumble' on them. Fewtch has a keen ear and he did attract my attention to the 501 and then I went and saw the 601!!!

However, I'd like to hear them before buying. In the UK, this is difficult. You're even lucky if the shop advertising them actually stocks them. They seem to order them when someone wants them so demo is out of the question.

I suppose my main working phones are Senn650, Beyer DT880 (new version now) and the Grado 225. AKG may fit in nicely with these to monitor quality and what different listeners could hear at the other end of the recording process.

Ian

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 28
Got my K240M`s, but the pads are a bit worn-off.

Is it possible to put new pads on them??

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
Got my K240M`s, but the pads are a bit worn-off.

Is it possible to put new pads on them??

Absolutely. Here in Germany, Thomann has new pads for EUR 12,60, for example. If you don't know where to obtain them in the Netherlands, enquire with AKG (which would also be a good idea if you want these newfangled velour pads that haven't been available for too long instead).

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #27 of 28
tnx sgrossklass, I have ordered the new pads at thomann and a pair of K81`s..........I hate this place, better said my wallet hates this place.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

The K240S sounds nothing at all like AKG's high end cans. It's like deciding not to get the HD600/650 because you didn't like the sound of the HD280 Pro... frankly, it doesn't make any sense.

What about the AKG K240 M???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back