K142HD and K240 (SABA H200) crossbreeding
May 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DJDuck

New Head-Fier
Hoy!

Not sure if this is the right subforum for this so feel free to move it :)

I just had an idea that may either be incredible or incredibly stupid.
This is what we are working with:
You can skip this part if you know the K142Hd and K240 sextett headphones.

AKG K142HD - Bought new about a year ago, studio monitor headphones. My first high end cans and I've been using these as my every day listening cans ever since I got them and I think they're really good. However, not perfect for music. Because they are monitors, they have a very flat freq. response, in musical terms almost flat to a fault. Don't get me wrong, these headphones sound great but the lows don't hit hard enough and the highs are slightly rolled off for regular music. They're perfect for mixing, monitoring, editing, etc... but not for casual listening really. Not that that's bad, it just not what they were intended to do. They're simply too neutral and natural for casual listening and can come off sounding boring.

SABA H200 - Basically custom K240 sextetts. Made by AKG for SABA, they feature the K240 drivers, baffle, cable, gimbal, pads and then some. Custom backs (headband attaches to back instead of the round thingy), custom headband with the same auto-adjust system as other AKG studio phones. They need good amplification, as they basically do nothing when connected to a Galaxy S3. Connected to my laptop (which is how I use them right now) they make a bit more noise and are listenable, but still not very loud. Connecting them to my laptop or turntable through a Sony MXP-290 mixing console gives them a much needed boost.
The sound is nothing short of awesome. Well pronounced and punchy bass with lots of headroom, super clean and lush midrange, detailed highs but not overly bright and in no way fatiguing. Overall they have a very easy-to-listen-to sound and can be listened with for hours and hours with no fatigue whatsoever. They sound musical but still manage to keep a well balanced natural and neutral image, just a bit more exciting than K142. But they look a bit ****tier than original K240s, they're not ugly but boring. I got them from a thrift store sale for 5 bucks boxed. Very slightly used, basically mint. Only cable needed to be repaired where it enters the headphone because the outer insulation was broken, so I just slid a piece of heat shrink over it and shrunk it, works great. Also the original 6.3mm jack housing was cracked so I replaced it with a quality 3.5mm jack. I like using 3.5 because going between 3.5 and 6.3 is easier than going between 6.3 and 3.5 :D

So after listening to both of them, I've decided that I like both of them. But I only need one pair.
Soooo.... I figured that maybe I can get the best of both worlds. Could I perhaps build one pair of the two? 
What I want to do is take the pads, baffle and drivers of the K240s and the headband and back of K142HD. Why? Because why not. By doing this, I could combine the awesome K240 sound with the looks, quality and semi-openness of the K142HD. Plus try custom damping and stuff. Transplanting the K240 baffle should be easy, they look to have the same size opening and same gimbal, all I have to do is re-solder the wires, basically. 

So the question is, should I do it or not? What should I expect?
Also, the L and R metal badges on the SABA fell off quite easily, but the K142HD badges are hard glued, how hard would it be to remove them without ******** them up entirely?

Also here's a picture of the H200 that I found on the internet http://saba.magnetofon.de//bildupload/h200.jpg

May 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 2
Anyone?
I'd really like to hear from others before I pull apart two working pairs of headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back