K1000s cage mod
Aug 30, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the two K1000s sound inherently different? Would be even better to test the same K1000 with and without the front cage. I'm not hardcore enough to expose my K1000 drivers.

That is most definitely the reason... just as there are several different R10s that sound different. Search head-fi on the topic, some people say the late K1000s sound best, while earlier ones are more bass heavy, some say there are many different variations, even with ones that have a close serial number.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is most definitely the reason... just as there are several different R10s that sound different. Search head-fi on the topic, some people say the late K1000s sound best, while earlier ones are more bass heavy, some say there are many different variations, even with ones that have a close serial number.

I would be too afraid to damage the K1000 to chop the grills.

As a member of team binge and purge, I have had multiples of many different headphones and have experienced variability in most of them, including the K1000.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This coming from a man who balances beer on top of his K1000's! Pretty sure those drivers wouldn't be happy with a splash or two.

Neil

LOL! That's a photoshop job I did. I treat my K-1000s like they are royalty and made of solid gold and diamonds.
k1000smile.gif

At any rate, someone else in this thread already said it - I guess I just am not hardcore enough to chop up my K-1000s like that. For me they are much too delicate, valuable and rare to be chopping them up like this, no matter how good the mod may sound.

But as always, the risk/reward and tolerance to take such a gamble is relative, and will vary greatly from one person to the next. If I wiped my butt with hundred dollar bills, and owned several pairs of K-1000s, then yeah, maybe I would consider doing a mod like this for a (potentially) small gain in audio quality. Truth be told, I suppose I am not a big fan of headphone modifications in general, you could say I am a headphone 'purist' - but hey that's just one man's opinion. I mean what's next? Orpheus mods?
biggrin.gif

At any rate, best of luck to the OP if you decide to do the mod. I genuinely hope you enjoy it. I will cross my fingers for you that the drivers and extremely thin and fragile coil lead wiring comes through the mod ok, and survives for many years after the mod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who are curious, I uploaded some closeups of the mod in the photo gallery.

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...0&ppuser=10738

As a huge K-1000 fan and a headphone 'purist', that picture honestly gave me the chills when I looked at it.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 25
Yes there is variances between K1000s, but both the models used were in the very late serial # range. Both were Equinox hardwired. Both were attached to the same binding posts at the same time on the same amp sourced by the same source.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 25
Just a quick note...Ori mentioned that there were differences in the wiring.
I apparently have a thicker wire than he's seen before.
For those with k1000s that have really really tiny wires, it may be more of a risk, but apparently, mine luckily was pretty thick and so less of a potential for damage.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 25
Yeah but foo_me al's had a thick wire too. Utep10's didn't.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 25
There's a line beyond which an increase in sound quality does not justify the decrease in overall listening pleasure. I'm sure many filthy rich K1k owners will disagree, but IMO, this mod is well past that line.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 25
That last picture...

How much do these K1000s cost? He wrecked them...

Why was he banned from Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back