'K1000 Valkyrja' test drive in Europe
Jun 6, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Bah! You're cheating man. That means real cost is about €735, you can do better...stay tuned.
cool.gif

I had planned to solder full cable there but it didn't fit.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

BTW i always had the feeling that Nordost cables are way way overpriced, these flat cables look so cheap you know, like computer wires ("nappe" we say in French). There's absolutely no shielding on these cables.

There is no shielding on the cheaper Nordost cables, just teflon.
Valhalla and Valkyrja have threads wound around the conductor which eliminates RFI/EMI. The background is dead black with the Valkyrja, it made soundstage huge.

Quote:

But hey congrats Patrick82!, at least that's a nice attempt to improve and correct the Achilles' heels of ALL headphones...da poor stock cable.
icon10.gif

I hope in 10 years all headphones will come with this cable.
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #32 of 336
Some more pictures.

single.Valkyrja.3meter.speaker.cable.JPG

You can almost feel K1000 getting shocked when seeing so big cable...
eek.gif

holding.Valkyrja.JPG

Will try to stick this in...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Valkyrja.closeup.JPG

See the threads wound around conductors.

Valkyrja.drivers.side.JPG

Tiny binding posts.

Valkyrja.Krell.amp.JPG

Valkyrja connected to speaker terminals of amp. "The hole" on the right.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #34 of 336
It is normal that if I open this thread an advertisement of commercial cables appears on the top of the thread in the 1st page, that doesn't appear in the other threads?

Andrew

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #35 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
It is normal that if I open this thread an advertisement of commercial cables appears on the top of the thread in the 1st page, that doesn't appear in the other threads?

Andrew

Yes, it's normal.
Context sensitive google ads.
Big brother is watching you.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #36 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Yes, it's normal.
Context sensitive google ads.
Big brother is watching you.
biggrin.gif

Ok, I understand...
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #37 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Someone should make a test drive in USA too! Maybe I could send a pair there. 10 people could make a mass buy ($200 each) which makes each one of them own 10% of both the cable and K1000. Each person gets to own it for 1 month every year. They can also sell their share to someone else which gives the other person 2 months every year etc...until there is only one owner left.

Timeshare headphones!
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #38 of 336
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, they're charging just over 4000 quid for a few metres of silver coated copper cable? Uh...

Well, at least it's shiny, I guess.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #39 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, they're charging just over 4000 quid for a few metres of silver coated copper cable? Uh...

Well, at least it's shiny, I guess.

You are wrong. It is 4000 quid for a few meters of silver coated copper cable plus the prestige of owning the artifact of human foolery.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 336
patrick82 I applaud you for taking K1000s to the limits.

Question: Your photos do not show the circuit board in the K1000s? have you removed the board? What does the circuit board do?

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #41 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
patrick82 I applaud you for taking K1000s to the limits.

Question: Your photos do not show the circuit board in the K1000s? have you removed the board? What does the circuit board do?

Yes, he removed it. From everything I've heard, what it does is get in the signal path. He also said specifically that it makes it easier to recable them if you remove the PCB.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Yes, he removed it. From everything I've heard, what it does is get in the signal path.

Have you removed yours?

I'm going to assume that without a circuit board, you would need something that keeps low frequencies from being sent(or in low quantities) to the K1000 drivers
No clue, just speculation here

If I do get a reciever that does this, I may remove the circuit board on mine

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
So the circuit board is just a high-pass filter?

Interesting if that is the case. I'm using an $800 balanced Vandersteen crossover between my amp and source. The crossover rolls off highs at 6db per octive. My crossover is set about 60hz, but I could go to 80hz. If this is a high pass filter, I don't need it. I am very interested to learn more about this thing.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #45 of 336
I find the ridicule of Patrick82 in this thread to be absurd.

I imagine most of you would believe that a $200 ~ $300 cable upgrade to the HD6x0 would improve the sound quality. You realize most normal people would think that that would be absolutely insane?

Talk about glass houses and throwing stones.

Patrick, I'm glad you tried this recable. It is a useful point of reference. It's too bad I don't live in Europe, else I would have loved to compare your K 1000 against my stock and my Equinox recabled one.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back