K1000: Upgrade your stock pigtail (on the cheap)?
Jan 4, 2007 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
Anticable is regarded by many to be a great sounding, yet very inexpensive speaker wire. Anticable's design is solid copper with a very thin layer of insulation to greatly reduce the dielectric effect. Link to TAS review.

It can be bought pre-terminated for $10 / stereo pair foot (i.e. 8-foot pair runs $80). The wire can also be bought in bulk for 50% less money.

My DIY cable is about 4 feet long, using some design tips from Anticable’s website. Total cost was about $20, plus shipping (assumes you use your existing Neutric DIN plug).

antibackcg3.jpg

antisidetc3.jpg

antifrontep5.jpg

The sound is a definite upgrade from the stock pigtail.

NOTE: Be aware that Anticable is stiff (think coat hanger), so it will not snake like a normal cable.

For my next move, I’m contemplating cutting off a couple feet of the stock black wire + doing a direct solder of AKG to Anticable -- eliminating the DIN and one layer of solder connections.

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 7
the connector is an XLR not a DIN
wink.gif

and i doubt it would be an audible difference, you need to replace your headphone cable first
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Nice idea but as you said, that anti-cable is really unyielding.

I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like you have bare wire
termination into your amp. For anyone that has the spades
on your anti-cables, I strongly recommend cutting those off and
using bare wire for your connection. The SQ change was well
worth the small effort it took.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the connector is an XLR not a DIN
wink.gif
and i doubt it would be an audible difference, you need to replace your headphone cable first
smily_headphones1.gif

My bad on the DIN vs XLR. Not sure why you would doubt that there's an audible difference (Good source; very fast IC; great amp; and now the addition of an improved pigtail -- it all adds up). BTW: Stephan Audio Arts get hundreds for their replacement pigtail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice idea but as you said, that anti-cable is really unyielding.

Clearly this solution will not work everyone. In my case, my listening chair is directly adjacent to the rack, so I only need a few feet of flexibility in my cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like you have bare wire termination into your amp. For anyone that has the spades
on your anti-cables, I strongly recommend cutting those off and
using bare wire for your connection. The SQ change was well
worth the small effort it took.

Yes, DIY bare wire -- which BTW -- is a time consuming process to strip off the red outer coating.

I'm also in the market for some good bananas plugs, so I can manually switch between K1000s and a set of Omega Hemps currently in transit
k1000smile.gif

Someday I may still bite the bullet an get the SAA hardwire. But I would love to hear it prior to making the investment. In the meanwhile, this was a very inexpensive, yet noticeable upgrade for my rig.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, you may try some continuous-cast copper magnet wire from Percy later on. I've been using my K1000 adapter using this stuff, and it is way, WAY better than the stock cable. No comparison whatsoever.

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/d...bum=349&pos=22

Interesting. Is it flexible? Does it have insulation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back