K1000 recable installation
Mar 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

foo_me

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone who does the hardwire recable of the k1000s?

I know you can get cables from various places like Stefan and Moon Audio, but it seems that they all just sell the cable and no longer are doing the installation.
I would like to get my k1000s hardwired with the Equinox cable.

I have read about the difficulty of doing it and possible damage, but still, anyone here knows of someone who does?

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 11
I believe that Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio will still do it, but he may have stopped.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 11
yeah, thanks, I read in a 6moons review of the equinox cable that he did, but that was a couple of years ago...I figure he's quite a bit more busy these days.

Still I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...

Any others?

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drubrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We never stopped doing Hard wire jobs on the K1000. We hard wire all phones that can be hardwired.

Drew, can you do the Silver Dragon V2 as a K1000 hardwire? How do you think the SD would compare sonically with the Black Dragon?

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman657 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio will still do it, but he may have stopped.

Vinnie does not do hardwire anymore.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

We never stopped doing Hard wire jobs on the K1000. We hard wire all phones that can be hardwired.

Cool!...now, i just have to wait for my cable to get here...Sorry for getting that wrong then

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 11
If you are going to run the K1000 off a 1/4" jack style amp then you have to go with the Black Dragon in my opinion. Unless you have a more robust amp with plenty of power like a Slam High Power version of one of the SinglePower amps. As these phones are power hungry. The Black Dragon is a larger gauge wire. Less resistance, which helps make it easier to get plenty of juice to the driver. So for lower powered amps go with BD. If you are going to use a standard amp and run the K1000 off the binding posts then any 3 of our cables will work well. It all depends on the flavor of sound you are looking for. I will be sending Silver Dragon V2 pigtails and Silver D V1 1/4" adapter to the National meet if you are going. One of the K1000's that will be here is hard wired with the Silver D V1. I will also be sending the Black Dragon pig tail, Cardas 1/4" and Blue Dragon 1/4". As well as anything else I can find laying around. Hope this helps.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

If you are going to run the K1000 off a 1/4" jack style amp then you have to go with the Black Dragon in my opinion. Unless you have a more robust amp with plenty of power like a Slam High Power version of one of the SinglePower amps. As these phones are power hungry. The Black Dragon is a larger gauge wire. Less resistance, which helps make it easier to get plenty of juice to the driver. So for lower powered amps go with BD. If you are going to use a standard amp and run the K1000 off the binding posts then any 3 of our cables will work well. It all depends on the flavor of sound you are looking for. I will be sending Silver Dragon V2 pigtails and Silver D V1 1/4" adapter to the National meet if you are going. One of the K1000's that will be here is hard wired with the Silver D V1. I will also be sending the Black Dragon pig tail, Cardas 1/4" and Blue Dragon 1/4". As well as anything else I can find laying around. Hope this helps.

Thanks Drew... I am VERY interested in the Silver Dragon V2, but will not be at the meet.

What type of termination will the SD V2 have?

I'm most interested to hear others impressions of how the SD V2 does with warm amps, like tubes and the RWA Signature 30 (which I own). BTW: I went solid silver for the ICs, and love the airy detailed sound. So I'm thinking that Silver Dragon V2 for the pigtail -- or even better, hardwire -- may be the best way to go with a warm amp.

As far as I can tell, most headfiers have only tried Equinox or Black Dragon for hardwire, so I'm hoping that SD V2 might be an undiscovered silver bullet for the K1000s driven by warm amps (pun intended).
evil_smiley.gif
k1000smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

P.S. There will be a Sig 30 at the meet. This amp has 30 wpc, and uses 5-way binding posts. But the posts are spread too far apart to use dual banana plugs (i.e. it needs single bananas, spades or bare wire).

Thanks for helping to sponser the K1000 room. I'm very anxious to hear the results!

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I can put silver/rhodium bananas or Cardas 1/4" Silver/rhodium spades on it. What ever everyone desires.

I have installed Blue/Black/Silver Dragons and Cardas cables on the K1000. They are out there somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

You need to prod your Silver Dragon K1000 owners to be a bit more vocal on headfi (or maybe they're too busy just enjoying the music
biggrin.gif
)

My only preference is that the Silver Dragon be compatible with 5 way binding posts found on 2ch amps -- and if bananas, that they are single so they can accomodate the Sig 30.

Thanks again for your support on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back