K1000 new drivers in the last units...
Oct 3, 2006 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
"AKG used for many years a driver in the K1000's (I don't know the name of it). But in the last units they produced, they put in a special, upgraded driver, called the 101".

This is what a person of AKG told me... do you knew this?

Best!
Nicola

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 9
I've heard such rumors before, but having heard a fairly old unit (7xxx) and a quite new unit (10 or 11xxx), and another owner of two K1000s, one my fairly old pair (again, 7xxx) and a very new pair (11xxx), I think either the time frame and definition of "the last K1000s produced" is off, or this is just an unfounded claim/rumor. And honestly, I really can't see AKG seeing fit to upgrade ANYTHING in the K1000 late in the production cycle, given that they've discontinued them as it is, despite their being cheap to make nowadays. Near the end if anything, they wouldn't want to put any more money into the R&D/retooling of those headphones if at all possible.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 9
I can see that the color of the driver (membrane) is different by my precedent K1000 I bought from UK.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I bought one of the later production units. I'm at work and don't have the number but maybe their new driver had something different that doesn't affect the sound?

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 9
May be the new driver are harder to be broken... I know some K1000 had problem, but this is also because someone use them with too BIG amps.

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I've heard about the Disney drivers. Is there a link to a story or is it just discussed on headfi. It would be interesting to read.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 9
I did ride the Disneyland Space Mountain last year (at night; quick stop with my marching band peeps), and the sound was pretty amazing to me. In fact, I was concentrating on the way the "techno" was being played through the speakers behind my ears in the chair rather than the ride, which got very repetitive quickly.

Maybe it's because I was tired, but the bass was very quick and snappy to me, and the sound was just...idk, I'm pulling this from a tired memory, but yeah, they sure didn't sound like "ordinary" speakers to me.

And this was in the California Disneyland. The Florida Disneyworld does not have it. In fact, Disneyland>Disneyworld for the rides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back