K1000 Mega Meet In San Francisco -- 5/26/07
Jun 6, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #62 of 93
Hi gang. I got my ACI sub woofer today. My X-2 should be here tommorow. I've started a new blog to share my experiences with these new toys (including the SDv2).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244295

I have high expectations for this sub with the Ks. But still short one interconnect, so impressions will be coming over the next couple days.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 93
Wow, looks like you guys had a fun meet. Nice to see some familiar faces.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still trying to figure out how Leeav manages to make the K1000's look normal.
biggrin.gif

Strange to see so much universal praise over an IC... Ori must have something really special there.
cool.gif

I shudder to think what the balanced version costs though.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #65 of 93
Balanced version of the interconnect? I was quoted the same price as unbalanced. I think. Neilvg would know since he bought one!

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #66 of 93
Good to know... still a little out of my price range at the moment. Especially with the new trip the Wife and I have planned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #67 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by iceyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice and interesting pics. why AKG hasn't created another version of k1000?!

Evidently too small a market at the high end of headphones.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #68 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shudder to think what the balanced version costs though.
frown.gif

The balanced version is a bit more expensive, around $900-$1000 for me since I got it around 1.5M. I believe it would around $700-800 for 1M.

Neil

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #69 of 93
Ah makes sense XLR connectors are more pricey. Kicks it up a notch but not too bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #70 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah makes sense XLR connectors are more pricey. Kicks it up a notch but not too bad
smily_headphones1.gif

That's funny most locking RCAs are more expensive then the balanced (at least last time I checked... a long time ago). I would think locking RCAs should have more price to it, but I digress... I don't want to derail this wonderful thread
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #71 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the price difference has more to do with the labor it takes to make the cables themselves. Ori has mentioned that making the X-2's are very labor intensive.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #72 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium

I think the price difference has more to do with the labor it takes to make the cables themselves. Ori has mentioned that making the X-2's are very labor intensive.

That's correct, it's mainly the extra labor of assembling the cables. The core is similar to the unbalanced X-2 but the balanced X-2/B has extra assembly steps, which add about 30-40% extra time over a similar length of X-2.
The connectors themselves are not that expensive, but it does take a bit more work to "finish" the XLR cable.
To put it in perspective, Neil's cables took a day and a half from start to finish, not accounting for overnight burn in.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #73 of 93
That makes sense... Day and a half for a cable
blink.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes sense... Day and a half for a cable
blink.gif

Given that Neil believes the X-2B tops his top-of-the-line Virtual Dynamics cable and many, many times the price shows that Ori's efforts are justified. It was a nice looking and substantial cable to boot. The Aleph 30 with the X-2B on it sounded better than I have heard it in several prior meets.

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #75 of 93
Oh man how did I miss this thread?

Al, sorry I flaked out on you at the last minute, but finals got in the way, and it's been busy busy busy since then. I had to find a new apartment, move into it, find a sub-letter for the summer, fly to DC, and now I'm finally in DC, settled into my internship.

Thanks for everyone's impressions. I think it's time to finally order the Equinox hardwire after the summer, but I think I won't swap out my F1 anytime soon.

Edit: and this thread definitely does not make it any easier for me to know that my entire K1000 rig is in Berkeley while I'm in DC with only the Denon and my Zen Vision M.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back