K1000 long journey I've settled on an amp finally!
Mar 28, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not impressed by looking inside. Fair enough. But I encourage all to listen before passing judgment. Personally I wouldn't care if it was powered by fossilized dog turds if it was the amp that sounded best in my system.

... and what price do you put on getting "off the grid"? Rechargeable lead acid batteries are tops in my book. I wish I could have an outboard lead acid power supply for my Wadia CDP!

currently I own both the Fist Watt F1 and the RWA Sig 30 on different days I prefer one over the other. If I was on a budget and did not have a cdp with built in volume my choice would be RWA for an all out assualt the pass/fiest watt amps with a great tube pre are great.

Enjoy the Aelph 30 that is one great amp
k1000smile.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #32 of 48
I currently own the F1 and chose it over the Sig 30. Having said that, I could easily have lived with the Sig 30 for both my Omega SuperHemps and K1000. The Sig 30 just sounds good and as Alwayswantmore said, it doesn't matter to me what's inside.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...for an all out assualt the pass/fiest watt amps with a great tube pre are great.

Enjoy the Aelph 30 that is one great amp
k1000smile.gif

If I had a tube pre I probably would have ended up with the F1 too. But lacking tubes, it was not the right amp for my system.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering how this amp would be with the K1000? Has anyone ever tried it? Sophia Electric S.E.T. Music™ Baby Amplifier

Back in 2003, I posted a long review, comparing the K1000 with Sophia Baby to the Sennheiser HD580 with Sudgen Headmaster. You might want to take a gander.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #36 of 48
What preamp are you using with the F30? I am currently using a Modwright 9.0SE with my Pass Lab Aleph 3 and K1000's with good results. I have just bought a TVC preamp (Prometheus) but due to the low input sensitivity/gain of the Pass Labs amp and the TVC unity gain, the volume isn't always loud enough particulally if the cd is cut at a lower level than normal.
Regarding the query re .Sophia Electric amplifier, I also have a Sophia Electric SET EL34 which I find is an excellent match with the k1000's and doesn't need a preamp as it has a volume control on the front panel.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What preamp are you using with the F30? I am currently using a Modwright 9.0SE with my Pass Lab Aleph 3 and K1000's with good results. I have just bought a TVC preamp (Prometheus) but due to the low input sensitivity/gain of the Pass Labs amp and the TVC unity gain, the volume isn't always loud enough particulally if the cd is cut at a lower level than normal.
Regarding the query re .Sophia Electric amplifier, I also have a Sophia Electric SET EL34 which I find is an excellent match with the k1000's and doesn't need a preamp as it has a volume control on the front panel.

Mike, how do you like the pass compared with the sophia el34 for driving the k1000s? could you give a description (or maybe post a comparative review)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...for the K1000? Curious as to how the Aleph would compare to say the Sig 30 or the new Woo5 300B.
smily_headphones1.gif
k1000smile.gif

yeah, that woo 5 is quite an interesting looking piece. who's gonna take one for the team and try it out? it's hard to imagine not liking that one (or than the wallet hammering it requires...).

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #38 of 48
There is so much discussion of the K1000 amps but never the source.

I recently tried my K1000 with the resolution audio Opus 21 player (and S30 integrated amp) and the result is extraodinary. I had been using a Wadia 830 - the sound of the Wadia is much more aggressive than the Opus 21, and therefore does not match very well with the K1000.

If you love the K1000 - like I do - I can only recommend testing different sources as well as different amps.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need some help guys. I've got a space problem and unfortunately it's a little bit confined. Big time heat would be an issue. Space available would be say: 14x10x6. Would the RWA SIG 30 be the way to go?

If heat is an issue, even if it's not, the Sig 30 is an excellent choice for the K1000 and for high efficiency speakers (if that is ever a consideration).

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #41 of 48
has anyone tried good old classe 70 with k1000?it's only around $300 used and it sounds great,sound much fuller than all other amps i have tried.(i have not heard sig 30 anf f1 though).

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in 2003, I posted a long review, comparing the K1000 with Sophia Baby to the Sennheiser HD580 with Sudgen Headmaster. You might want to take a gander.

That was a great review and really well written. Very descriptive and a pleasure to read. Considering the 580 and k1000 were, at one time, pretty similar in price it's surprising how they've diverged over the years. The k1000 was introduced only 3 or 4 years before the 580 and both had a similar production run length. Both were considered top of the heap and now one is a high-priced, worl class classic and one is a budget 'starter' can. It's amazing how perceptions change over time
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #44 of 48
I made a big gamble in the last week. Bought the farm as my father used to say.(K1000 x2, SAC K1000 amp, Connector-see sig). I patched together a couple of connectors and listened to the K1000 for the first time with the GS-X. At high gain, I had to push the attenuator up about 3 clicks from the max to get at my preferred sound level, but I didn't feel any distortion in music I am very familiar with. This is my kind of sound, very detailed. I can, however, feel the need for more power, a little more heft to the base, and I will probably get it with the SAC K1000 amp. My plan is to be content with my rig, for now and try to be patient as I wait for the GS-X Module.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #45 of 48
Well, I might have misspoke and short changed the GS-X/K1000 a lot. I've spent the las hour learning how to adjust the speakers and locking them in for "the best sound for my ears." Now, the sound stage has opened up and the bass is all I could want, can still see that there a lot of tangibles, to explore, with more power.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back