K1000 - It's the cable (stupid)!
Aug 29, 2003 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Number9

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to chirp in and add another voice to all of those who have evangelized here long, long before me, and say: that when it comes to listening to the AKG K1000's at their best - change the stock cable!. Don't wait. Run.

I really got to like my K1000s over the past several months, but I had some caveats, and the big one was a metallic "sheen" on some instruments, notably acoustic guitars. Some called it brightness, I did not view it as that, but it could get tiring after an extended listening session.

Some have said suggested that the angling of drivers makes a difference. I tried, but could not hear an improvement. So I ordered a custom Canare-quad cable from MoLtoSoLo. It arrived last week, and even though it is probably not fully burned in yet, the jury is in. This is what I hear:

Metallic sheen: Gone. Totally. Ain't there anymore.

Plus, two other side benefits: I find with MoLtoSoLo Canare-quad cable, the bass is fuller (more weight), and the mids have better focus (voice for example, is much better centered).

I know, everone's mileage may vary. Some have been vocal here saying they hear no difference and think the stock cable is just fine, but my experience indicates that changing the cable is the way to go.

BTW...MoLtoSoLo's cable is a substantial affair. That is a serious looking cable, and sounds very good too.

Sep 2, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 2
I am glad to hear the cable actually removed the metallic "sheen". After I used the fatter cable, I feel the K1000 is very easy going. It's not so picky about amps now, I can easily get a decent sound from most of the amp I have tried.
Enjoy the music
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back