K1000 in "The Iron Giant"
May 19, 2007 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
So we were watching "The Iron Giant" movie in my History 9 Honors class the other day. I happened to spot one of the generals in a army base wearing a pair of K1000's. Can you believe that? I really wished I had that movie to get the frame where it is. If anyone has it, watch it and look for them. Record that spot and grap the screenshot of them.

May 19, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 33
That movie is soo sad
frown.gif

May 19, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 33
It makes me cry like a bitch every time I watch it. And I know what you're talking about. it's in the scene inside the submarine. I remember thinking the same thing when I watched it recently.

May 19, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by splodinjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me cry like a bitch every time I watch it. And I know what you're talking about. it's in the scene inside the submarine. I remember thinking the same thing when I watched it recently.

If the submarine sonographer uses the k1k for acoustic placement and movement, that says something about the soundstage and transparency of the headphones
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 33
There's nothing wrong with being emotionally moved by an animated feature. I've been brought to tears several times by some of the better anime that I have seen.

May 20, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the interior of a submarine be quite noisy with all the equipment and humming?

Well in an animated movie, I'm sure it's dead silent
biggrin.gif
As for real life, I would think it would have to depend on the era. Today, nuclear submarines are very quiet: they have to be to not be detected by sonar. But usually when you see photos of sonar operators, they have sealed headphones so that they can listen with isolation. A WWII diesel submarine would be quite noisier since it's smaller and has a combustion engine. But by then, destroyers had sonar equipment, and would "listen" for enemy submarines: submarines have had to run silent for quite some time now. Das Boot (German, "The Boat") is the best submarine movie ever made IMO.

May 20, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Wow, they look a lot like the K1000s (except they seem to be circumaural).

May 20, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 33
Thanks for getting that.

I wonder if they did that on purpose to make them look like them or if it was a pure accident? Probably purpose, it's pretty hard to think up that design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back