K1000 - how many have tried running it balanced?
Jun 4, 2005 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I was fooling around with the idea of driving the K1000 balanced with the dac1's xlr outs while I am still waiting for the SAC amp.
I just gave it try, while the volume needs pushing on classical/soundtracks with really low notes, it does a plenty satisfactory job with other music I have.
Now running the K1000 via a speaker/pre amp style out obviously runs them balanced.
On the other hand, using a 1/4" termination on the XLR to stereo converter imo makes the headphone loose bass and detail significantly. What I also notice is that notes get the slightly lisping effect, this disappears when run balanced.

I would like to know what the experience of other people has been in this regard.

Kunwar

Jun 4, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 4
ballanced drive roxors.

it is soo nice.

its largest disadvantage is that a ballanced output amp is a pain in the bummm to setup, and requires more parts than an conventional type with one end of the speaker tied to ground....

edit: what you are describing (with speaker terminations) is not necessarily a ballanced con figuration. ballanced implys that one "side" of the speaker wire is driven positive while the other is driven negative. the signals "equalise" at the load. VERRRRY high slew rates are possible, and even higher power outputs are easily obtainable.

from first post: woot. this thread has inspired me to "sacrifice" my sr125's to the lords of ballanced amps. its a worthwhile task, they are proud to have been chosen for the honor.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 4
By "Balanced" you mean Dual Mono? Where the ground is not common to both channels?

Then everyone who has hooked them up to speaker outputs has tried them "balanced."

Or are you referring to having an amp with balanced line inputs and outputting dual mono with discrete channels?

I am building a Balanced Gilmore Dynalo (mid), so I am curious to hear what my K1000's sound like on it.

Balanced Dynahi (Mite) would be interesting as well. (if not total overkill)

-Ed

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
By "Balanced" you mean Dual Mono? Where the ground is not common to both channels?

Then everyone who has hooked them up to speaker outputs has tried them "balanced."

Or are you referring to having an amp with balanced line inputs and outputting dual mono with discrete channels?

I am building a Balanced Gilmore Dynalo (mid), so I am curious to hear what my K1000's sound like on it.

Balanced Dynahi (Mite) would be interesting as well. (if not total overkill)

-Ed

As you mentioned ed, pretty much running out of speaker outs might be considered balanced. I have however only run it straight out of the line out xlr L/R output terminals of the dac1. That was what I am referring to .
I have hotwired the cable which allows switching on the same tracks, only occured to me yesterday. Which is why I gave it a shot.
I am talking of an amp which has balanced inputs and balanced outputs. I remember reading that the SAC amp has a common ground connection, correct me if I am wrong though.
The sac though has a single power supply running both channels so it won't be balanced.

As for how it sounds, right now differences are apparent although they might be due to the output stages on the dac1, XLR vs. headphone out. But seoaration and staging is better, volume is pretty good. but gets too low on classical stuff, As for now the inbuilt equaliser on foobar suffices to provide a clean 3dB boost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back