K1000 first impressions.......
Feb 1, 2007 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Stax-i-nox

100+ Head-Fier
[size=small] Well, this was a very pleasant surprise! After having been a Stax devotee going on 15+ years now, I am firmly in the K1000 camp as well, and will probably spend more time there.
k1000smile.gif

I just got these K1000's a few days ago, and I could not put them down for 4-5 hours! I have never heard such great sounds coming from cans. Granted, I have not heard any top contenders, other than the Omega 1 that I just sold. ( I don't think I heard that Omega at it's best, as I did not have the best amp for it) The sound from these K1000's is extraordinary, extremely clear, very "real" sounding. The soundstage...WOW....amazing. So far, I can see why there is such devoted following with these headphones. I LOVE not having anything touching my ears...it's simply magical to listen to music through these without anything touching the ears. I am using a digital amp from Acoustic Reality, the eAR1...it's been discontinued, but at the time, it was a high end contender. The CD player is a Sony Xa7es, with Jena Labs cables, running through an Acoustic Reality pre-amp that is also out of production. I am just blown away by the sound of these phones.

What amps are considered the "best" with the K1000? I will eventually get the Stephan Audio Arts 6ft cable as well. All the K1000 owners, what amp do you like best, without breaking the bank.
smily_headphones1.gif

The big difference I hear compared to my Stax equipment, is the resolution is much better than the Stax Signature with the T-1 amp...(of course, my stuff is 1987-88 vintage)......the music is "clearer" sounding and more like live. The Stax is still good, don't get me wrong, but it has a warm, euphonic coloration to it, a slight "veil", compared to the K1000.

I have noticed that placement is super critical in getting the best sound, inc the bass. By moving them just a little, it makes a huge change in the overall sound....if the placement is wrong over the ears, the sound gets thin . These are incredible headphones! Question: Why did the ever stop making them?
k1000smile.gif

[/size]

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 15
What is not breaking the bank to you?

In the under $1000 range, I'd recommend the Aleph 3. In the slightly above $1000 range, I'd recommend the Aleph 30. In the high-$1000s to $2000 range, I'd recommend the Red Wine Audio Signature 30 or the FirstWatt F1. And from there, the sky is the limit. I tried them out of a pair of $15k MBL monoblocks, and they sounded excellent.

The biggest improvement with amping the K1000s is a huge increase in dynamics, bass becomes more impactful and more present, they no longer become excessively bright and edgy, and they have more body as well, all without losing the clarity, resolution, and transparency that they had to begin with.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Yep, they really are that good. Best dynamic phones currently on planet earth IMHO.

*cough* shameless plug.

I am selling my Aleph 3 for a very reasonable price in the FS forum. It sounds spectacular driving the K1000s. Click the link in my sig for more info. Also, the Alpeh 3 sounds amazing driving my STAX Lambda pros through the SRD-7 box. One click gives me an AKG K1000 eargasm, another click gives me a STAX Lamda pro eargasm.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Cary CAD-300SEI integrated is also a very good option (but tube rolling can be very expensive). It hasn't got much press here recently, but I've spoke to one K1000 owner at length who really loved this amp.

This will more than likely be my next upgrade if I ever do. Right now I'm using a Pass Labs Aleph 30 that humanflyz mentioned and I don't have much desire to upgrade.

Also with a proper amp bass should be less of an issue. I use mine about half way out (say 30 degrees) and the bass is still impactful. Tilted all the way out the soundstage is much larger, but you do lose some of the bass intensity.

And congrats on the headphones....I'd love to hear an Omega 1 someday.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small] Well, this was a very pleasant surprise! After having been a Stax devotee going on 15+ years now, I am firmly in the K1000 camp as well, and will probably spend more time there.
k1000smile.gif

I just got these K1000's a few days ago, and I could not put them down for 4-5 hours! I have never heard such great sounds coming from cans. Granted, I have not heard any top contenders, other than the Omega 1 that I just sold. ( I don't think I heard that Omega at it's best, as I did not have the best amp for it) The sound from these K1000's is extraordinary, extremely clear, very "real" sounding. The soundstage...WOW....amazing. So far, I can see why there is such devoted following with these headphones. I LOVE not having anything touching my ears...it's simply magical to listen to music through these without anything touching the ears. I am using a digital amp from Acoustic Reality, the eAR1...it's been discontinued, but at the time, it was a high end contender. The CD player is a Sony Xa7es, with Jena Labs cables, running through an Acoustic Reality pre-amp that is also out of production. I am just blown away by the sound of these phones.

What amps are considered the "best" with the K1000? I will eventually get the Stephan Audio Arts 6ft cable as well. All the K1000 owners, what amp do you like best, without breaking the bank.
smily_headphones1.gif

The big difference I hear compared to my Stax equipment, is the resolution is much better than the Stax Signature with the T-1 amp...(of course, my stuff is 1987-88 vintage)......the music is "clearer" sounding and more like live. The Stax is still good, don't get me wrong, but it has a warm, euphonic coloration to it, a slight "veil", compared to the K1000.

I have noticed that placement is super critical in getting the best sound, inc the bass. By moving them just a little, it makes a huge change in the overall sound....if the placement is wrong over the ears, the sound gets thin . These are incredible headphones! Question: Why did the ever stop making them?
k1000smile.gif

[/size]

Congrats! I'm a big advocate for the RWA Signature 30, especially if you appreciate a very natural organic sound. This amp now sells for $1,500 new (occasionally they show up on Audiogon for less).

With the Sig 30 you may be able to replace you preamp and amp (it has an internal attenuator). You can also use it to drive 2ch speakers, especially those on the efficient side. Learn more by reading the amp comparison in my sig or visiting AudioCircle.com at this address... http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=78.0

Good luck. Kent

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 15
I sure hope they go back into production. The going price is so high now
frown.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks...will have to look into the RWA Sig 30....how about the Stephan Audio Arts extension....how many K1000 owners have it, and what are it's sonic attributes compared to the stock cable?

Why on earth did AKG stop making these headphones....?
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Inspite of the misinformation and ridiculously silly looks, the Red Bird Cage just keeps flying...you just can't keep a superbly designed and wildly original transducer down.

k1000smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Another Stax freak now also firmly entrenched in the K1000 camp. They arrived today and don't sound overly forwards or tilted up as I was led to believe. They sound great, little sibilance, excellent dynnamics and a very exciting sound overall. The don't go super deep as is to be expected but they are very solid and palpable. The bass is actually better than I was expecting.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Have a question.....I have a McInosh MC240 tube amp...it has 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps for the speakers....would the K1000's sound better on the 4 or 16 ohm taps instead of the 8 ohm...tried the 8 ohm already...so so sound....I don't want to do any damage to the K1000 by trying the different taps other than the 8 ohm....here are the specs of the MC240:

40w/ch stereo, 80w mono. Response 16-40kHz (+0 -0.1dB). Distortion 0.5%. Noise & hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8, 16, 125 and 600 ohms. 600 ohm center tap internally grounded. (2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 ohms in mono). Output voltages 25 (isolated), 70.7 (one side grounded) and 140V (center tap grounded). Internal impedance less than 10% of rated impedance. Input impedance 250k. Input sensitivity: 0.5V (in mono or twin amp). 2.0V in stereo.

Thanks, Stax i nox

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Have a question.....I have a McInosh MC240 tube amp...it has 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps for the speakers....would the K1000's sound better on the 4 or 16 ohm taps instead of the 8 ohm...tried the 8 ohm already...so so sound....I don't want to do any damage to the K1000 by trying the different taps other than the 8 ohm....here are the specs of the MC240:

40w/ch stereo, 80w mono. Response 16-40kHz (+0 -0.1dB). Distortion 0.5%. Noise & hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8, 16, 125 and 600 ohms. 600 ohm center tap internally grounded. (2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 ohms in mono). Output voltages 25 (isolated), 70.7 (one side grounded) and 140V (center tap grounded). Internal impedance less than 10% of rated impedance. Input impedance 250k. Input sensitivity: 0.5V (in mono or twin amp). 2.0V in stereo.

Thanks, Stax i nox

I don't think the K1000s will be damaged by trying the other taps.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Thanks, Stax i nox

I tried the 4 and 8 ohm tap on mine and preferred the 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Another Stax freak now also firmly entrenched in the K1000 camp. They arrived today and don't sound overly forwards or tilted up as I was led to believe. They sound great, little sibilance, excellent dynnamics and a very exciting sound overall. The don't go super deep as is to be expected but they are very solid and palpable. The bass is actually better than I was expecting.

I'm glad they worked out for you. They have a lot of the Stax qualities with some qualities of dynamics thrown in.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the 4 and 8 ohm tap on mine and preferred the 8.

I'm glad they worked out for you. They have a lot of the Stax qualities with some qualities of dynamics thrown in.

The similarities between the K1000 and the SR-X are quite stiking, much more alike than I was expecting with eerilie similar signature. Even the bass rolloff is close with the wee Staxes going just that bit lower. The details are easier to pick out in the Stax due to it being funnelled directly into the ear but the K1000 alerts you to other sound aspects because of the way they more easily seperate instruments via the wide stage and more distant presentation.

Given how much I adore the SR-X you can imagine how happy I am that I have found a fraternal twin to them. Not identical but very similar with it's own personality and way of doing things. Uncanny and awsome
k1000smile.gif
Of course it's largely to`do with the rest of the setup and others may well disagree with my asessment of this but to my ears they could almost have been seperated at birth.
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The similarities between the K1000 and the SR-X are quite stiking, much more alike than I was expecting with eerilie similar signature. Even the bass rolloff is close with the wee Staxes going just that bit lower. The details are easier to pick out in the Stax due to it being funnelled directly into the ear but the K1000 alerts you to other sound aspects because of the way they more easily seperate instruments via the wide stage and more distant presentation.

Given how much I adore the SR-X you can imagine how happy I am that I have found a fraternal twin to them. Not identical but very similar with it's own personality and way of doing things. Uncanny and awsome
k1000smile.gif
Of course it's largely to`do with the rest of the setup and others may well disagree with my asessment of this but to my ears they could almost have been seperated at birth.
eek.gif

Confirms my suspicion that I need an SR-X
biggrin.gif
(and dump this HD650)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back