K1000 Award/AKG News
Jan 11, 2006 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I am back from the CES. As always it was a grueling week. Since I am kept busy manning Siltech’s room I don’t have much time to explore what’s new. The best thing is that, I have been going to the CES long enough to know what restaurants to dine in. There is a little Thai hole in the wall restaurant that is rumored to be the best Thai restaurant in the country. It is my favorite restaurant in the country (I love Thai food).

Anyway the reason for this post is that Mr. Mike Torlone AKG USA’s Marketing Development Manager stopped by Siltech’s room to say hello. He had just been given The Stereophile Product of the Year Award (Joint Accessory) for the K1000’s. It is their second time. They also won in the early 90’s. I believe that the K1000’s are very deserving. Still I find it somewhat amusing that they win after they have been discontinued.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Mike and I chatted and here is a synopsis of what we discussed.

The production is catching up for the K701’s and K601’s. Shortages should be nonexistent by late January.
biggrin.gif

There is NOT a replacement for the K1000’s sitting in the wings.
frown.gif

AKG considers the K701’s to be their Top model. There will not be a replacement for the K1000’s.

He stresses that the K1000’s were discontinued before and that demand was sufficient to resurrect them from the grave. This does not mean that they will be brought back, but if demand is great enough they could be brought back.

I believe he also mentioned that there are no other colors planned for the K701’s.

That is the latest news on the AKG’s

K1000_Award.jpg

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Mr. Mike Torlone AKG USA’s Marketing Development Manager stopped by Siltech’s room to say hello. He had just been given The Stereophile Product of the Year Award (Joint Accessory) for the K1000’s. It is their second time. They also won in the early 90’s. I believe that the K1000’s are very deserving. Still I find it somewhat amusing that they win after they have been discontinued.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

K1000 as a Stereophile Product of the Year for 2006? They must be joking, unless it's as a memorial tribute to a dead product. Don't get me wrong. I've got a pair and they're amazing phones. But the design is like 20 years old.

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears
K1000 as a Stereophile Product of the Year for 2006? They must be joking, unless it's as a memorial tribute to a dead product. Don't get me wrong. I've got a pair and they're amazing phones. But the design is like 20 years old.

It's an award for Accessory of the Year 2005 (Joint). They give the awards at the end of the year, not the begining. It also won a Stereophile award in the early 90's. It got the award because they reviewed it again in 2005 and it is still an awesome product.

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Anyway the reason for this post is that Mr. Mike Torlone AKG USA’s Marketing Development Manager stopped by Siltech’s room to say hello. He had just been given The Stereophile Product of the Year Award (Joint Accessory) for the K1000’s. It is their second time. They also won in the early 90’s. I believe that the K1000’s are very deserving. Still I find it somewhat amusing that they win after they have been discontinued.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

That is actually a pretty good portent to their resurrection. All they need now is some prayers... the resurrection will occur, and they will sit at the right hand of the most high... I'll remember to include the K1k in my prayers tonight.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Interesting that the Akg K-1000 won this award from Stereophile yet again in 2005. I would say is in recognition of the fact that the K-1000 is simply a benchmark audio product -- like the original Quad loudspeaker or the LS3/5a, the Klipshhorn, or the Linn Sondek -- that defies age.

If you haven't had the fortune to spend time with the K-1000, you really haven't had an opportunity to know what's possible with a pair of transducers...let alone headphones!

biggrin.gif
k1000smile.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the report! Wow, I'm glad I got in when I did with the K1000!
k1000smile.gif
I wonder how they'd be tweaked (if at all) if they do come back.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Out of all the headphones I've owned the only one whose departure I sometimes lament is the K1000. Although overall I prefer other cans (very few) and find an ever-present issue with the AKG, it truly is something unique; all serious head-fiers could benefit from spending some quality time with the Austrian lass. Now the K701 will try to banish the HD650 from my life once and for all...
k1000smile.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
That is actually a pretty good portent to their resurrection. All they need now is some prayers... the resurrection will occur, and they will sit at the right hand of the most high... I'll remember to include the K1k in my prayers tonight.
k1000smile.gif

I have embarked on an email campaign to AKG in Austria, urging them to reconsider discontinuing the K1000s. If you would like to join in, you can find the contact information at:

http://www.akg.com/usa/powerslave,id...uage,ENUS.html

Just in case they don't agree to bring back the K1000s, I am getting a backup pair.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back