K1000 - Are they REALLY worth 2-3 times the price of K701?
Dec 6, 2006 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 148

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, i have read most of the k1000 vs k701 threads, but i can't decide if the K1000 are worth three times the price of K701. I mean, is there such a NIGHT&DAY difference between the two headphones, that can make me go
basshead.gif
? I really don't think i have audiophile ears, as i didn't noticed a difference between a m-audio revo 5.1 and an audigy 2 (with a pair of grado sr60), so for me, the k1000 should sound incredible compared to k701, to justify the price difference.

[size=xx-small]ps: sorry for my poor english skills. [/size]

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 148
It's completely different.. You can't even imagine what it sounds like without listening to it
So yes, you'll notice a difference

And yeah, i think it's worth it up to $1000.. maybe 1200

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the k1000 should sound incredible compared to k701, to justify the price difference.

They do. Need the right amp though or they sound thin.

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 148
The K1000s give you an unique experience that you simply cannot get at any price. So in those terms price really isn't an issue.

That said, I think the main difference between two headphones are in soundstaging. If that's not a priority, there's no need to get the K1000.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 148
The difference is not simply in soundstage, the k1000 is overall better in every aspect.

Yeah and the price difference is definetly worth it, a night and day difference really.. And I dont notice dac differences either (over certain price level of course).

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by varro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is not simply in soundstage, the k1000 is overall better in every aspect.

In your opinion.

I use to own K1000s. After an extended (3 week) audition of the K701s I came to the realization that to my ears the K701s are a better all around headphone. For me the K1000s are tremendously sensitive to the quality of the recording. With about 5% of my recordings the K1000s are the absolutely best headphones available. With the other 95% the K701s are the best.

I sold my K1000s. I could not justify keeping a $1200 headphone that I could use only about 5% of the time. If I had the funds I’d love to own both, but if I can only have one of them the K701s are by far the better choice.

The K1000s are very different. Some people love them some don’t. I think that they are a fantastic, but limited headphone. I’d strongly recommend an audition with your amp before purchasing a set.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 148
Having owned the K1000 I can say it was worth the $425 I spent on it lol. That being said, I would expect that the 701 would suit most people better. For the serious, hardcore, somewhat nuts audiophile whom loves to tweak the K1000 is very rewarding.

Think of it as the difference b/w 2 girlfriends. One, the K1000, is a friggin knockout but really needs lots of attention. The other, the 701, isn't omg I'm melting hot but is easy to get along with and doesn't mind grabbing a burger instead of the Lobster.

I own the Headphile K340 and can say this: it's the in between of the two. That's why I will share it with others but never sell it.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 148
Yes the K1000 are worth the large price difference over the K701. Remember though that you'll have to spend a good bit on proper amplification. When properly driven the K1000 are easily one of the best headphones around while the K701 are mediocre to good at best. All IMO of course.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 148
Remember, initially upon release the k-1000 was not so well recieved and only gained this HUGE following when they went out of production @ cost of $450 ... Now @ $850 - $1000 used and "The Right amp" presupposed the hyper better sources in such a balls to the wall cost nearly no option, THEY ARE GREAT!!! Just misunderstood in misapplications previously ;-}

No doubt they are worth 3X their retail cost new to some headfellows. Only you can decide the value of a single component in your chain of gears.
I believe it is at least instructive to us all, of the need to view a headphone and amp as one when speaking of their sonic qualitys vs that of any HP in other than general terms, when compared. Yet some folks mistakenly and repeatedly, all to often lately, like to speak in absolute terms without this all important context.

The marketplace sets the value.

Is it of value to you at its price point, in your existing set of gears within the context of your cash flow would be the better question. As opposed to interjecting another one or two cans with an appropriate balanced investment throughout the system would probably yeild more versitality and enjoyment and therefore value, would be my point of view on the subject.

The k-1000 certainly has the potential to be worth its price to many Head-Fiers in their systems assembled for the purpose of yeilding their greatest sonic potential.

I'm always skeptical of terms used, especially "Night & Day" or "Blows outa' the water" as being more emotional than stated in fact! Exception being the gear I hold an emotional relationship to, of course ;-}

spacemansplif: Without a doubt my GF with her red hair would be the exception, if you saw her turned on like only I can; Say anything bad about her and I ought to.....

tkam:" the K701 are mediocre to good at best." You ARE funny ;-}

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... the K701 are mediocre to good at best. All IMO of course.

And that coming from someone who actually likes the L3000. The L3000 (Actually all AT headphones) have a grossly colored midrange. IMHO

I’ve listened to all of the better AT cans and hated them all, and I really wanted to like them. They are beautifully built headphones.

My point is that the 701s and even the L3000s should be on the list of must audition headphones. Each Persons tastes will dictate whether they’ll actually like them or not. These threads asking should I buy this, or is this worth the price will bring out a multitude of differing opinions.

Remember all opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Except my opinions, my opinions are priceless.
wink.gif
eck22.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Think of it as the difference b/w 2 girlfriends. One, the K1000, is a friggin knockout but really needs lots of attention. The other, the 701, isn't omg I'm melting hot but is easy to get along with and doesn't mind grabbing a burger instead of the Lobster.

That was an awesome description

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 148
Oh boy, i am more confused now than when i started the thread, lol.

The thing is this:
- i can get the K1000 @ 500-600 Euro, on ebay Germany.
- the K701 are @ 250-300 Euro here.
- i don't have an amp and dac (only my revo 5.1), YET. My buy order is this: 1. Headphones, 2. Amp, 3. DAC.
- a good and matching amp&dac will follow, either for K701 or K1000.
- i don't plan to change headphones (and amps\dacs, etc) like crazy in the future. I am planning to stay away from the endless money pit as far as i can.
biggrin.gif

- since i don't have a proper room (and money) for a GOOD set of speakers, i'm looking for the next best thing that can get me close to the speaker type sound.
- i CAN'T listen before i buy.
frown.gif

As i said before, it seems i don't have such trained ears as most audiophiles, so if i make the effort to buy the K1000, i aspect to notice the difference on the spot, not having to listening for weeks to make up my mind on which is better of the two.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion.

I use to own K1000s. After an extended (3 week) audition of the K701s I came to the realization that to my ears the K701s are a better all around headphone. For me the K1000s are tremendously sensitive to the quality of the recording. With about 5% of my recordings the K1000s are the absolutely best headphones available. With the other 95% the K701s are the best.

I sold my K1000s. I could not justify keeping a $1200 headphone that I could use only about 5% of the time. If I had the funds I’d love to own both, but if I can only have one of them the K701s are by far the better choice.

The K1000s are very different. Some people love them some don’t. I think that they are a fantastic, but limited headphone. I’d strongly recommend an audition with your amp before purchasing a set.

I know what you mean.. Its true the k1000s shows the recordings weakness, but its was only annoying in the beginning when listening to a good recorded album and straight after that a bad one.

The k1000s just show how the music is recorded. This doesnt mean that a bad recorded album sounds inferior with the k1000 than with the k701:s. the k1000s just dont make them sound any better. Allthought direct comparison of good recorded music might make it seem like that, when the k701s cant output huge differences like the k1000s. I hope you understand what im saying.

Over period of time I have getting used to it, its doesnt annoy me anymore.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, i have read most of the k1000 vs k701 threads, but i can't decide if the K1000 are worth three times the price of K701. I mean, is there such a NIGHT&DAY difference between the two headphones, that can make me go
basshead.gif
? I really don't think i have audiophile ears, as i didn't noticed a difference between a m-audio revo 5.1 and an audigy 2 (with a pair of grado sr60), so for me, the k1000 should sound incredible compared to k701, to justify the price difference.

[size=xx-small]ps: sorry for my poor english skills. [/size]

if your preference is for the AKG sound, then yes. Except with a proper amp more like 4-6 times
wink.gif
k1000smile.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 148
Just to add on to some of the opinions in this thread, keep in mind that the K701 were about $299 upon initial release. Which was, IMO, the best bang for buck in high end headphones. I am aware that the price has gone up abit, but it still is a great deal relative to the prices of other high end cans. When I purchased my K1000 they were going for around $800 and that was a steal for me. Even so, at $1000+ I still think they are worth it. Nevertheless, as said above, when underamped these headphones are pretty lacklustre, it is amazing what a poweramp does to them. So all in all, you would probably have to think of transforming a good portion of your system for it to be worth it over a k701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back