K1000/Air Tight... nothing can touch, but ...
Sep 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About GS1000/Yamamoto, I find the combo very synergic. The amp is not a monster for extremes (hi and lowest frequences), but has a great mucality, especially for the med (WE 408A tubes). The GS1000 has a well known Grado bass and is very detailed, so the two objects work fine together, very recomendable !!! I prefer this setup respect to the W5000/Yamamoto.

On the other side, the Yamamoto cannot drive properly the K1000...

Nik

Nik,

You're dangerous...
tongue.gif

My wallet is shivering when it heard me mention of Yamamoto and Air Tight...
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My K1000 tube amp is based on the Cardinals, but with some improvements in the power supply and transformers along with a couple minor changes to the circuitry.

I'd love to hear more about this.

Sep 9, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will, that is, if you can hear it over the non-linearities of the 12AU7's.

My K1000 tube amp is based on the Cardinals, but with some improvements in the power supply and transformers along with a couple minor changes to the circuitry.

I did own the Cardinals many years ago and yes I did hook them up to my K1000 at times. It's a very nice combination, though I'd advise placing a 15 Ohm or so resistor in parallel with the headphones to prevent excessive phase shifts in the bass. Of the commercially available 300B amps, it's about the only one I can actually recommend with a clear conscience.

Thanks for the info Roam. What transformers are you running in your amp? And which driver tubes? (I know the Napolean uses different ones from the Cardinal)

I'm sure it's an amazing amp, the Cardinals are well regarded at DIYAudio.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info Roam. What transformers are you running in your amp? And which driver tubes? (I know the Napolean uses different ones from the Cardinal)

It uses Magnequest cobalt interstage & output transformers along with an autoformer volume control made by Tribute, also in cobalt. Tubes are Western Electric 300B's and 437A's, along with a pair of 6AX4's and 6CM3's in the power supply.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the right preamp, the F1 is an excellent amp for the K1000.

I can agree with this statement, having driven my K1000s for over a year with the F1. It is a fantastic combination. I use a McIntosh C2200 tube preamp.

BUT, changing the cabling of the K1000s with a Stefan Audio Arts Equinox hardwire or the equivalent is essential to get the most out of the K1000s. Personally, I would make recabling my number one priority - then find the perfect amp: Airtight, First Watt, Zanden, Moth and others.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 60
OMG...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
my beloved K1000 has been beated by another cans !!!
Which cans ???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

... another K1000, different SN (series 10XXX)

I'm now convinced (after 12 K1000 tested) that generally the older series (even if they are NOS, never used), have a more relaxed and "full" sound (especially in the med-bass frequences). I said GENERALLY, because, I have found some SN 10XXX that was very, very bright.

Some K1000 have problem in the bass frequences, the can produce some vibrations, other do not have this problem.

At this time my NOS sn 10XXX is the very best !!! (I have changed only one tube in the Air Tight, I'm using now the Tung Sol 5u4GB instead of the Mullard 6as4).

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

OMG...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
my beloved K1000 has been beated by another cans !!!
Which cans ???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

... another K1000, different SN (series 10XXX)

I'm now convinced (after 12 K1000 tested) that generally the older series (even if they are NOS, never used), have a more relaxed and "full" sound (especially in the med-bass frequences). I said GENERALLY, because, I have found some SN 10XXX that was very, very bright.

Some K1000 have problem in the bass frequences, the can produce some vibrations, other do not have this problem.

At this time my NOS sn 10XXX is the very best !!! (I have changed only one tube in the Air Tight, I'm using now the Tung Sol 5u4GB instead of the Mullard 6as4).

I have owned two K1000 with a 10XXX serial number. They seem to be more focused in detail and soundstage than the older K1000s I have owned and heard but its hard to say since I haven't had them together. Right now I am using 10840.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #38 of 60
I think to use this thread to describe my upgrade on the Air Tight/K1000 as this is my reference setup to date...

As many knows the Air Tight adopt these tubes:
2x 12au7a(ECC82) -> 2x 12bh7a -> 2x 300B and one 1x 5u4gb as rectifier.

Finally I have found the RCA 12bh7a "Black Plate", untill today I have used the same tubes but the "Grey Plate" version... to be honest there are an huge difference between these two kinds of tubes. I think (as many others RCA tubes) the truly (the very best) RCA have BLACK PLATE; I can hear a more richness in tonal balance, a tigher bass and incredible detail.

So... guys if you have an amp that use the 12bh7a the holy grail is the RCA Black Plate !!!

Nik

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #39 of 60
Hi Nik. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a matched pair of NOS RCA 12BH7A black plates (O getter) and while I have not compared it to the Grey plate version they are certainly a big step up the stock EH 12BH7s I was using before.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Nik. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a matched pair of NOS RCA 12BH7A black plates (O getter) and while I have not compared it to the Grey plate version they are certainly a big step up the stock EH 12BH7s I was using before.

Hi Kane,

did you heard the Mullard 5as4 Cryo rectifier? I find this tube the very best (compared with RCA and Tung Sol).

Best!
Nik

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foo_me has auditioned the Airtight 300B and he said they were pretty much at the same level.

It is funny since you said the BAT bettered it! The Airtight retails for a bit above 6k I think? Nik was selling it for 3.5k or so before! What a deal ;p

pricejapan has the airtight for under 4k (shipped to us), but the 300B tubes are extra. still, at that price the wa5 at 3k seems like the better buy. and there is a headphone version only model due out which should make the woo even more reasonably priced.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #42 of 60
The BAT is not "better" than the Air Tight, it is surely different. Depending by the tastes of the listener and also depending by each K1000, as I said they are all differents in sound...

My latest K1000 - sn 10xxx - perfers (and I with them) the Air Tight (with some specials tubes on it).

Best!
Nik

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #44 of 60
Thanks A LOT !

Really... I can't find any other headphones setup that give the same pleasure...

Best!
Nik

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Nothing can touch
k1000smile.gif
yes !!!

I never had a lot of cans and amps like this time… I always had just one headphones but this time I used many cans and amps to do a relaxed and long comparison… I spent a lot of time for this.
I think that after all the setups I had in my life, the K1000/Air Tight is the very best in any way and aspects. Now I can confirm this after many comparative tests with cans, amps and speakers.
Nik

Hi Nik,

After reading about your delight in the Air Tight ATM 300, I ordered one on approval. I am a devoted listener of the K1000s and have never heard anything better, particularly with my Stefan Audio Arts Equinox hardwire cabling.

The build quality and finish of the Air Tights was perfect. It is an amazing piece of gear. I had it in my system for three days and A/B'd it with my First Watt F1 and also with my Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2.

All of these amplifiers do a great job with the K1000s, so for me it becomes a matter of taste - kind of like comparing excellent wines. The Air Tight ATM300 produced a marvelous sound that was clear, and smooth and warm and alive all at the same time. But when it came down to deciding whether to buy the Air Tight ATM 300, I wasn't convinced.

Each of us has a different set of ears, and for me the First Watt F1 delivers such a "real" presentation through the K1000s that the hair stands up on the back of my neck. It grabs your ears and makes you sit up straight in your chair and lean into the music. It is not for casual relaxed listening, but rather for critical listening of those musical passages that truly excite you. For relaxed listening, the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 is just about perfect with the K1000s.

So, I didn't end up buying the Air Tight ATM 300 amplifier - not because of the price - but rather because I honestly prefer my current setups (F1/Sig 30.2). I have tremendous respect for the Air Tight engineers, and tremendous respect for your dedication in the search for the perfect sound.

It was a great experience for me, and I thank you for inspiring me to try it.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back