K-pop, J-pop suggestions!
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #616 of 3,772
More woo!ah! On the brighter side. Like the tune though.

Woo Ah is one of my favorite groups right now, after Red Velvet and Dreamcatcher. Love their fun vibe. Songs make me happy, what can I say.
”I don’t miss u” is still my favorite song by them but their new album is showing a clear improvement over previous releases!

Jun 12, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #617 of 3,772
Woo Ah is one of my favorite groups right now, after Red Velvet and Dreamcatcher. Love their fun vibe. Songs make me happy, what can I say.
”I don’t miss u” is still my favorite song by them but their new album is showing a clear improvement over previous releases!
Can't get that purple song out of my head.

I'm walking around at work unconsciously singing pur-ple pur-ple with an accent.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #618 of 3,772
Can't get that purple song out of my head.

I'm walking around at work unconsciously singing pur-ple pur-ple with an accent.
I feel you man 😂

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #619 of 3,772
Something different. 80's concept with 80's synth sound. I wish they just go all out with 80's synth sound. lol. All these groups seem too similar, I wish they experiment more. I'm starting to see more experimentation these days.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #620 of 3,772
This one's a bit different as well. I don't see powerful female dances that often. I'm starting to see more costumes and computer visual effects now.

The presentation is like kpop male idol groups like BTS.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #622 of 3,772
Something different. 80's concept with 80's synth sound. I wish they just go all out with 80's synth sound. lol. All these groups seem too similar, I wish they experiment more. I'm starting to see more experimentation these days.

I would also like to see more experimentation, damn if I don't love 80s style anything.

It seems after a while they start taking more of a role in writing lyrics or being involved in the music as they develop. I really like what Twice has progressed to at this point, I think all the lyrics for the recently released album some of the members wrote all the lyrics except the the title track. Gfriend developed really nicely in a similar way and were also getting more involved and it really made a difference on their last album.

I've been noticing a trend of the newer songs, they're really short about 2:30 to 3:30 max. Alot of them are under the 3 min mark.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #623 of 3,772
I would also like to see more experimentation, damn if I don't love 80s style anything.

It seems after a while they start taking more of a role in writing lyrics or being involved in the music as they develop. I really like what Twice has progressed to at this point, I think all the lyrics for the recently released album some of the members wrote all the lyrics except the the title track. Gfriend developed really nicely in a similar way and were also getting more involved and it really made a difference on their last album.

I've been noticing a trend of the newer songs, they're really short about 2:30 to 3:30 max. Alot of them are under the 3 min mark.
90's music is more of my time, and I find that 90's to be the golden age of KPOP, but others that grew up in different era would see this differently.

My rationalization is that 90's is when Korean audiences were introduced to Korean artists that performed Western style music (From the US). Like Seo Taiji for example, and much American style R&B and hip-hop style crept in during that time. In addition, there were musical style influenced from European house, and Japanese music as well. So, it was the turning point from the conservative Korean music to letting in outside cultural influences. So, this was big times for music to change. And there were so much experimentation because the industry had no idea how to go about things. There was no trainee system, etc.. They would just band together some talent and put some concept together to see if it sticks. Times like these are the experimentation times, and I find any golden age is just that. Just like 90's Japanese anime, which was a whole of taking risks with experimentation.

Also, you have to consider that of Korea transition to democracy in the late 80's, when they were coming out of conservative government party. They were a dictatorship that didn't condone freedom of art expression, so the 90's explosion had to happen.

I feel that there's a 2nd coming of experimentation with kpop. Once they find their own style, and then the experimentation arrises. I'm starting to see it shifting. It's much slower to take risks and experimentation when things become systematized.

Here's some classic music from the 90's, in which I find it to be the golden age of kpop.

Although Seo Taiji introduced American style music to the mainstream, he's not all that original if we see that he's just copying the concepts. He doesn't differentiate himself as an artist like by providing some idea that's of his own not borrowed. It's better not to copy too well because by not copying exactly you are bringing concepts fro your own culture, which results in a different product than an exactly copy. For originality and art sake, it's better IMO. It's not really art unless you contribute something from you.

Some were pretty wild and original like these groups below. I don't know where they got these concepts from

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #624 of 3,772
90's music is more of my time, and I find that 90's to be the golden age of KPOP, but others that grew up in different era would see this differently.

My rationalization is that 90's is when Korean audiences were introduced to Korean artists that performed Western style music (From the US). Like Seo Taiji for example, and much American style R&B and hip-hop style crept in during that time. In addition, there were musical style influenced from European house, and Japanese music as well. So, it was the turning point from the conservative Korean music to letting in outside cultural influences. So, this was big times for music to change. And there were so much experimentation because the industry had no idea how to go about things. There was no trainee system, etc.. They would just band together some talent and put some concept together to see if it sticks. Times like these are the experimentation times, and I find any golden age is just that. Just like 90's Japanese anime, which was a whole of taking risks with experimentation.

Also, you have to consider that of Korea transition to democracy in the late 80's, when they were coming out of conservative government party. They were a dictatorship that didn't condone freedom of art expression, so the 90's explosion had to happen.

I feel that there's a 2nd coming of experimentation with kpop. Once they find their own style, and then the experimentation arrises. I'm starting to see it shifting. It's much slower to take risks and experimentation when things become systematized.

Here's some classic music from the 90's, in which I find it to be the golden age of kpop.

Although Seo Taiji introduced American style music to the mainstream, he's not all that original if we see that he's just copying the concepts. He doesn't differentiate himself as an artist like by providing some idea that's of his own not borrowed. It's better not to copy too well because by not copying exactly you are bringing concepts fro your own culture, which results in a different product than an exactly copy. For originality and art sake, it's better IMO. It's not really art unless you contribute something from you.

Some were pretty wild and original like these groups below. I don't know where they got these concepts from

For me, the golden age is the 2nd generation of groups after SNSD. It is evolving very quickly. Who knows where it'll be in 5 years, right now they're in a trend of collaborating worldwide with music composers, lyricists, etc. If theres one thing Korea is really good at is improving upon something. The music is advancing at a ridiculous pace, I wish they'd use more natural sounds tho, like instruments but it is pop afterall.

I'll be honest, I couldn't stand the 90s kpop then and it makes my genitals retreat into my body cavity to see it now. No offense, to each their own, I love alot of 80s stuff that make people want to throw up in their mouths.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #625 of 3,772
For me, the golden age is the 2nd generation of groups after SNSD. It is evolving very quickly. Who knows where it'll be in 5 years, right now they're in a trend of collaborating worldwide with music composers, lyricists, etc. If theres one thing Korea is really good at is improving upon something. The music is advancing at a ridiculous pace, I wish they'd use more natural sounds tho, like instruments but it is pop afterall.

I'll be honest, I couldn't stand the 90s kpop then and it makes my genitals retreat into my body cavity to see it now. No offense, to each their own, I love alot of 80s stuff that make people want to throw up in their mouths.
I think before the surge of hip-hop and r&b influences, much of the music was guitar based and the government decided to burn them guitars down because people were speaking out too much. lol.

That kind of music didn't really take off all that much in Korea. Korean music industry that took off is more akin to Motown style, or an assembly system of music production. Which is what I mean by kpop is heavily systematized, and I can't say that it's progressing at a fast rate in terms of variations. There's just a whole lot of boy and girl bands these days, to the point of generic-ness.

Rock really took off in Japan, and it's very apparent with Japanese music. Their music has more of a focus on members with instrumental talents. I do see greater variations of style in the Japanese music industry.

Korean music focus a lot on mainstream marketing, which is why it looks like the way it does. Big corporate music makers with a lot of influence in the industry. it just reflects the culture of big people taking control of things.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #626 of 3,772
I think before the surge of hip-hop and r&b influences, much of the music was guitar based and the government decided to burn them guitars down because people were speaking out too much. lol.

That kind of music didn't really take off all that much in Korea. Korean music industry that took off is more akin to Motown style, or an assembly system of music production. Which is what I mean by kpop is heavily systematized, and I can't say that it's progressing at a fast rate in terms of variations. There's just a whole lot of boy and girl bands these days, to the point of generic-ness.

Rock really took off in Japan, and it's very apparent with Japanese music. Their music has more of a focus on members with instrumental talents. I do see greater variations of style in the Japanese music industry.

Korean music focus a lot on mainstream marketing, which is why it looks like the way it does. Big corporate music makers with a lot of influence in the industry. it just reflects the culture of big people taking control of things.
Granted, but eventually it will become saturated perhaps already is, and artists who are more talented and unique will arise from the ashes.

It is how some of the big companies started then came to be as they are now.

Jun 13, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #627 of 3,772
Granted, but eventually it will become saturated perhaps already is, and artists who are more talented and unique will arise from the ashes.

It is how some of the big companies started then came to be as they are now.
Something unique I see from the kpop industry is rise of BTS and Blackpink. It reflects that such system is working with international audiences. Whatever system that's applied. Motown was the same way in America. Do I think their music was all that progressive? No, but I think Motown had a lot of hits.

I think also the rise of Bighit Entertainment is unique and unexpected. And BTS rising fame from outside Korea audiences. I think that's an interesting shift in the kpop industry. It just came out of the left field. I didn't expect such a rise from a group like BTS, who are completely different the kind of image they project in some of the countries of the international audiences. When you expect to break into a culture, you'd think a product that's catering to the culture would work best.

But then again, when Beatles first appeared, was there anything like the Beatles in America?

I'm not big on their music, but I just find their explosion in popularity an interesting phenomena.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #628 of 3,772
Something unique I see from the kpop industry is rise of BTS and Blackpink. It reflects that such system is working with international audiences. Whatever system that's applied. Motown was the same way in America. Do I think their music was all that progressive? No, but I think Motown had a lot of hits.

I think also the rise of Bighit Entertainment is unique and unexpected. And BTS rising fame from outside Korea audiences. I think that's an interesting shift in the kpop industry. It just came out of the left field. I didn't expect such a rise from a group like BTS, who are completely different the kind of image they project in some of the countries of the international audiences. When you expect to break into a culture, you'd think a product that's catering to the culture would work best.

But then again, when Beatles first appeared, was there anything like the Beatles in America?

I'm not big on their music, but I just find their explosion in popularity an interesting phenomena.
I find the rise of BTS and Blackpink interesting as well.

It was bound to happen at some point when the kpop industry decided to take the actual singing part seriously. Korea has had especially good male dancers for a while now, they were always winning the BBoy championships. Both BTS and Blackpink have strong vocals along with the ability to dance and visuals. Plus some can speak english. There have been alot of groups in the past but not many were good at the singing part and you know western audiences don't tolerate lipsyncing at live performances.

Check out what they actually sound like when the background music and effects are removed with software.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #629 of 3,772
... out what they actually sound like when the background music and effects are removed with software.

I see Seeun in the thumbnail, I like 😝 I've also listened to the MR removed performances of STAYC, and most, if not all of them are live. Aespa rarely sings live while the new song released by Twice has been surprisingly performed live on stage on the second day of promotion, if I remember correctly (the two usually use pre-recorded lives; saying this as a MY and Once). (G)i-dle, being the awesome people they are, sing live almost all the time (though with backing vocals).

By the way, it's important to know that some MR removed vids on YT are faked for the artists to sound *bad* or sound *good*. Hard to determine which is real and which is fake on the net...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #630 of 3,772
I find the rise of BTS and Blackpink interesting as well.

It was bound to happen at some point when the kpop industry decided to take the actual singing part seriously. Korea has had especially good male dancers for a while now, they were always winning the BBoy championships. Both BTS and Blackpink have strong vocals along with the ability to dance and visuals. Plus some can speak english. There have been alot of groups in the past but not many were good at the singing part and you know western audiences don't tolerate lipsyncing at live performances.

Check out what they actually sound like when the background music and effects are removed with software.

Well, most idol group music I don't consider the type that shows off vocal skills. I think they are usually produced in a way the vocals sounds rigid due to several members singing different part. Idol music is mix of catchy phrases. I do get a good idea of idol's talent in instances when they perform solo like Wendy or Joy.

I don't think Blackpink members are great singers when I listen to their singing. BTS has members that is very capable. SM Entertainment generally puts in members with vocal skills.

I thought of another interesting feat that kpop has achieved. If we look at streaming services, kpop is a separate genre well recognized. I was looking through Tidal, and ther is a kpop genre, but not jpop. This reflects that kpop is internationally recognized to the point of being a genre of it's own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back