K-702 vs. HD-800 Blind Test...on my girlfriend
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #31 of 164
I kinda expected the answer of your girlfriend before opening the thread
biggrin.gif
.maybe the synergy between the hd800 and the phoniter is bad.

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #34 of 164
Interesting! Of all the headphones I have (only a few though) the K702 stand out the most, and I would really love to have a look at the hd800 someday. But strange thing I notice is your girlfriend's comment about the 'fun' bit of the K702. Quite rare to hear someone call them fun, especially against the high end model like hd800 (in fact I'm in love with their not being fun at all
biggrin.gif
)
Did your girlfriend have a try with any other well known headphones around here? Just curious.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not personal and I don't need you to close this thread, too. You can start your own thread and your wife can rant about whatever she wants.
tongue.gif

This was just my girlfriend's experience at her first meet. She came along for the ride, but I thought it was pretty cool that she wanted to be there and it was interesting for me to hear her perspective, since she has fresh ears and has no knowledge or opinions about any of the products.

I remember when my girlfriend used to come along for the ride, sadly those days are long gone.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #36 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember when my girlfriend used to come along for the ride, sadly those days are long gone.

Mine is alluded with my headphone obsession. Too bad she doesn't actually use headphones herself to begin with lol (she's never really had a chance to try any of mine). Perhaps i'll try convert her with my MS1..
tongue.gif
. Cheap & good, plus my friends think to seem they look awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #37 of 164
Acix,
If that's how your girlfriend feels about the K702's when compared to the HD800, I hope you've already booked the wedding??
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #39 of 164
While interesting, and while everyone certainly hears differently, unless someone took the time to match the levels using an SPL meter to within 1db, the results are pretty meaningless (and I mean absolutely no offense here, just stating facts) - it is fact that (up to a point) people will prefer the louder of the two - if the K702 were even 3db louder, that could account completely for her preference for them. As I'm sure everyone on this forum knows, setting the volume control at the same point does NOT match the levels between headphones.

When I do headphone and amp comparisons, I painstakingly match levels to within 1dB for comparisons, using pink noise and an SPL meter. Even that isn't perfect, but unless this is done, there isn't a lot of point to the comparisons, other than being fun conversation
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #40 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While interesting, and while everyone certainly hears differently, unless someone took the time to match the levels using an SPL meter to within 1db, the results are pretty meaningless (and I mean absolutely no offense here, just stating facts) - it is fact that (up to a point) people will prefer the louder of the two - if the K702 were even 3db louder, that could account completely for her preference for them. As I'm sure everyone on this forum knows, setting the volume control at the same point does NOT match the levels between headphones.

When I do headphone and amp comparisons, I painstakingly match levels to within 1dB for comparisons, using pink noise and an SPL meter. Even that isn't perfect, but unless this is done, there isn't a lot of point to the comparisons, other than being fun conversation
biggrin.gif

But that does not account for bright/strident highs on the HD800...

If Acix was playing his K702 louder for his girlfriend, then she would certainly not find highs to be harsh on the headphone that was player at a lower volume!

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #41 of 164
Quote:

She listened to my new CD with them.

Haha! Well that explains everything with regards to what she heard.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #42 of 164
Great thread!

My amp & headphones are on the bedside table, and my wife often listens.

Darkvoice 337 & HD600s: Although she appreciates the quality of sound, she prefers CX500 out of a Nokia phone.

I get the definite impression from this & previous posts by Acix that the HD800 & SPL Auditor are far from an ideal match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@Anadin: Where are the meets that you go to? I didn't know there were any in the UK.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #43 of 164
Quote:

At the last NorCal Meet, I did a blind test with my girlfriend between the HD 800 and the K702 on the SPL Auditor with the Ayre's QB-9 USB DAC.

I started with the 800, which she immediately disliked and found them hard to listen to. She thought they were one of the cheaper models, and was complaining that the highs were too harsh on her ears. She was shocked when I told her they were the HD-800...and she was even more shocked when I told her how much they cost. When she heard the 702, she said that the sound was much more smooth and rounded and more fun to listen to. She's not an audiophile, but she's the one that carries the classical collection in the house. She she grew up playing classical piano and has incredible musical perception.

My girlfriend and I don't agree on everything, but on this we can be sure that we're on the same page. This is her first official contribution to Head-Fi. Thanks, Laura!

It's a cute story.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #44 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that does not account for bright/strident highs on the HD800...

That's because they don't exist.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #45 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a cute story.

Yes, but it would be really funny if she then tried out the hd650 and said, "Wow, now that's what a headphone should really sound like!" I think that's the part Acix left out.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back