K-701s... K-601s, or something else?
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grain

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

I've just joined here after having read so many threads from the site, I figured I might as well join!

Can anyone help me - I'm about to buy a new set of headphones, specifically for mixing/mastering electronic music.
I thought I had my mind made up on the K-701s, but I'm worried about the apparantly uncomfortable headstrap, and also the review on these pages that mentioned there not being the low-end necessary for electronic music, which I must say I was suprised to read. The AKG site specs say 10 Hz to 39.8 kHz, which I figure should certainly cover it.

Does anyone recommend any other cans that are extremely comfortable to wear over extended periods, with a flat, wide freqency response, preferably lightweight.

I have suffered for too long trying to mix on my Sony MDR-V700s, which are great for DJing, when I'd usually only ever have one ear on, but after an hour of wearing at home, with both ears; the clamp style fit, and the weight of the stap on the top of the head becomes unbearable... I got to get something comfy!!

I think the K-701s sound perfect - but how uncomfortable is that strap??

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 10
I usually wear the 701s at work and I can wear it all day. It's quite comfortable, but from what i gather from other posts, the people with a wide head, (not sure how to describe it) find it uncomfortable. I don't think you will really know until you order and try it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Good luck on getting a headphone replacement.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 10
If the fit is too tight, some people solve it by placing the phones over some books so they strech out. But there is no going back after it's done, so don't overdo it.
Good luck!

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm probably just going to go for the 701s.. Riceboy, if you say you can wear em all day, thats good enough for me. Lemur, thanks for the tip... hopefully my heads not too wide. I dont think it would be...

basshead.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 10
good choice, 701s are more neutral than 601s between what you're considering

aren't there better studio headphone choices for mixing though? anyone else have any insight?

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all.

I've just joined here after having read so many threads from the site, I figured I might as well join!

Can anyone help me - I'm about to buy a new set of headphones, specifically for mixing/mastering electronic music.
I thought I had my mind made up on the K-701s, but I'm worried about the apparantly uncomfortable headstrap, and also the review on these pages that mentioned there not being the low-end necessary for electronic music, which I must say I was suprised to read. The AKG site specs say 10 Hz to 39.8 kHz, which I figure should certainly cover it.

Does anyone recommend any other cans that are extremely comfortable to wear over extended periods, with a flat, wide freqency response, preferably lightweight.

I have suffered for too long trying to mix on my Sony MDR-V700s, which are great for DJing, when I'd usually only ever have one ear on, but after an hour of wearing at home, with both ears; the clamp style fit, and the weight of the stap on the top of the head becomes unbearable... I got to get something comfy!!

I think the K-701s sound perfect - but how uncomfortable is that strap??

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I think you should try one pair for a period and see for yourself because the shape of our heads is different.
blink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Yes, try them on at your local hi-fi store.
Show up early at opening and wear them until they close for the day.
580smile.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 10
For mixing you'd want akg k240m/s or better, Equation RP-21, all studio headphones, although I am under impression that some mixers did very well with dt880, but I just can't imagine k701 serving your purposes for electronica.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm on my second go-around with the K701. The over-the-top-of-the-head strap still proves a bit problematic (feels like a low-level, chronic noogie after about 2.5-3 hours). Very nice hedphones, but still not my first choice.

How about the Ultrasone Proline 2500 or 750? : ) Either gives you excellent spatial separation (with a slight edge to the 2500), and will fill (some would argue overfill) the bass deficit left by the K701. The sense of sonic "relief" from the Prolines would, I think, work well for electronica, IMVHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back