K-340 Problem/Question...
Aug 29, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #32 of 64
I hate to be this guy, but you might just not like the K340. I didnt like them at all when I listened to them, it was like there was TOO much sound, not too much volume, but too much sound. It was weird, duff not a HP i like.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
I hate to be this guy, but you might just not like the K340. I didnt like them at all when I listened to them, it was like there was TOO much sound, not too much volume, but too much sound. It was weird, duff not a HP i like.

I think I know what you mean, there's not enough separation between notes, probably because the reverb effect causes sounds now as well as a few milliseconds ago to be heard at one time, causing one big wall of mixed up sound to be heard. Hopefully I'll be able to fix that, though. I don't think it's that I don't like it, there are just... uh... certain problems that must be dealt with first.
biggrin.gif
I can get what people are saying about the Swiss chocolate mids, though... really syrupy, and mildly dark presentation. Switching between this and the K501, I can tell the K501 is much drier but crisper and airier, probably because of the openness.

Aug 29, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #35 of 64
Phergus, I think what you mean by having "too much sound" (congestion?) can be related to they being under driven. Are they syrupy? Yes, they are, in a wrong setup and pre-mod condition. After the mod (removing the cotton, the plastic grill, and bi-wiring the electret units), and pairing them up with a powerful tube amp, they really open up, both top end and bottom end.

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Phergus, I think what you mean by having "too much sound" (congestion?) can be related to they being under driven. Are they syrupy? Yes, they are, in a wrong setup and pre-mod condition. After the mod (removing the cotton, the plastic grill, and bi-wiring the electret units), and pairing them up with a powerful tube amp, they really open up, both top end and bottom end.

Im not sure of the amps name, it was abut the size of an oven and had tubes, it was melvings, so I dont think it was under driven. But yea kinda like it was congested, Im not sure. I shoudl have another listen now that I have trained my ear alot more.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg

I know they are currently being under driven, because I'm using a crappy old headphone out of a crappy old receiver. I also know that a powerful enough amp costs at least 300 bucks.
frown.gif
Perhaps I should listen to it stock and properly amped before I attempt to mod it, although the stock cable isn't something I like very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
Those are very unlike mine.

The transformator looks strange.

In what way do they look strange/different from yours? You got me intrigued
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
I know they are currently being under driven, because I'm using a crappy old headphone out of a crappy old receiver. I also know that a powerful enough amp costs at least 300 bucks.
frown.gif
Perhaps I should listen to it stock and properly amped before I attempt to mod it, although the stock cable isn't something I like very much.

some old receivers have pretty good headphone outputs, but, yes, you probably need to sink a few hundred dollars into an amp before you can say you know how your K340 sound
plainface.gif
. Having said that, the cotton mod mentioned above is free, easy and should benefit the sound no matter what amp/source you use. The other mods could wait till you have a good setup and you know your phones better...

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis
When I bought the K340, all I knew was that I wanted something that sounded like the K501, except... well, better. I hope this effort will be worth it in the end.

I personally don't think the K340 and the K501 sound anything alike; the K340s I've heard sounded very small and closed-in to me; total lack of soundstage, recessed highs and lows. Only thing that I really liked was the midrange. If you want an improved K501, I'd go with the K701. It's very similar, but with more extended highs and lows.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
If you want an improved K501, I'd go with the K701. It's very similar, but with more extended highs and lows.

I agree that the K701 sounds like a better K501, and that the K340 is a rather different beast. I may even agree that a stock K340 driven by a wimpy amp has
Quote:

recessed highs and lows

but
Quote:

total lack of soundstage

?
blink.gif
?

The soundstage of the K340, especially of a stock K340, is the most realistic representation of a concert hall that I have ever heard using headphones. Also the K340 are the only phones I know of that sound better without crossfeed than with crossfeed.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #44 of 64
First, I have to clear this one up: The K340's HAVE a very good treble extension. One just has to have a good synergy in the rest of his system.

For example, on my setup (see sig), when I plug in the Sylvania Chrome Dome 6SN7GT, the highs on the K340 are VERY extended, to the point where even I was amazed at the potential of what one would call a "rolled off" sound. Of course, whether I like it or not is another issue all together
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
So when did people start becoming surprised that the AKG340 had no highs?

-Matt

Perhaps the one you heard didn't have working electrets? I don't see how it is possible that drivers made for treble frequencies would not put out any sound unless they were not working.
confused.gif

And SonicDawg, I tried looking up prices for those tubes. Are they really 100-150USD (NOS)?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back