K-26-P vs. DT 231 vs. PX 100
Aug 14, 2005 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
I am going to buy a few headphones for my frineds. They both actively play online games which includes a lot of listning for enemies, hence the soundstage should be pretty good. They both enjoy quite active music, rap rock etc.

All of these i can order for about 40E, which is about how much I want to pay for their birthday presents.

The phones will mainly be run from integrated sound cards.

I'd really like your help in deciding, currently Im leaning towards the K26P.

Thanks.

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 23
I would suggest either the PX100 or K26P. Go with your instincts and go buy those K26P's!
biggrin.gif
They're supposedly more balanced than the PX100.

Personally, I think they're a little bit uglier than the PX100.
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 23
This isn't even close. DT231 all the way - one of the best headphone values under $100.

I haven't heard the PX100, but it is often mentioned in the same breath as the KSC35, which I have owned. The KSC35 is great, but the DT231 is on a different level so I'm pretty sure that the DT231 would be better than the PX100 as well.

As for the K26p, I had them for a few days but sent them back because I wasn't impressed. Bass was decent and maybe even a bit too strong, but the mids were weak and guitars sound very lifeless.

If those are the only headphones you are considering, get the DT231.

Aug 14, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 23
Imo the PX100 is an excellent budget headphone for home too. It sounds great, and I wouldn't think the comparison with the DT231 is 'solved at the start' (ouch, haven't heard the DT231
frown.gif
).

Aug 14, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 23
Well, it does have soundstage to my ears. For instance, vocals have enough "perspective" and "air". Just btw, the Beyer is a closed supra-aural headphone, mind you -- given that, it shouldn't have more of it.

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 23
Actually, the DT231 is listed as closed, but it really isn't...more like semi-closed, if that. It lets in and out a lot of sound and the soundstage is decent. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but again, this is really no contest. The DT231 is on a completely different level, and it bests a lot of more expensive headphones. Case in point, I "upgraded" from the DT231 to the DT250-80, and I totally regretted that decision. The DT231 sound much better, imo.

A lot of people do not give the DT231 a second thought because it looks so bland and not many people here have heard it. But it really is one of the best headphone values under $100.

Aug 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 23
How bad is the clamp on the DT-231? I love velour but I fear anything that is supra-aural.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 23
For me these are circumaural, too. I don't they they'd work well as purely supraaural cans. Be aware that these aren't extremely balanced, recessed upper mids are followed by fairly bright treble (as you can see on the Headroom graphs). If you have a very warm, bassy source, they rock, otherwise the excessive brightness may well bother you. Foam mod recommended. They do have a soundstage, not huge but it's there.

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Actually, the DT231 is listed as closed, but it really isn't...more like semi-closed, if that. It lets in and out a lot of sound and the soundstage is decent. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but again, this is really no contest. The DT231 is on a completely different level, and it bests a lot of more expensive headphones. Case in point, I "upgraded" from the DT231 to the DT250-80, and I totally regretted that decision. The DT231 sound much better, imo.

A lot of people do not give the DT231 a second thought because it looks so bland and not many people here have heard it. But it really is one of the best headphone values under $100.

Seconded, it's way underrated. And if your friends might be interested in having a mic too for their gaming, the DT231 comes in headset form - DT234 Pro. Mine have only recently been usurped as my gaming can of choice by my DT770s, which have unbelievable positional sound, but I still go back to them if I need the mic and they don't do a bad job at all with games, movies or music.

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 23
I have all three of these, and I'm a real non-fan of the DT231. I find it just plain boring. The bass goes quite deep, and the treble is very extended, which I found a really attractive feature at first -- I put it on and thought, wow, this is really something at this price. But the midrange is very un-alive sounding, at least to my ears. That was unamped. Amping it actually served only to outline more clearly just how blah it sounded, strange though that might seem.

That said, one great thing about it is that when you have the music turned way down, instead of just hearing a murmur, you still get a good sense of the music from the strong bass and treble response. In other words, it's an awfully good "background music" headphone.

As you can see elsewhere in this thread, many others do like this headphone. All I'm saying is that your mileage may vary.

Between the PX100 and the K 26 P, I think both are good. A lot may depend on whether leakage is an important consideration, since the PX100 is very leaky and the K 26 P much less so. I like the PX100 unamped from an iPod quite a lot. Pretty good all-around, with some extra bass emphasis. When amped, it PX100 develops a really excessive bass emphasis that I find unlistenable. It would be unjust to call it boomy, one-note bass, but it does lean in that direction.

The K 26 P is also very good, and has a really fun sound, but is also a little bit closed-sounding, and seems to me a little less tonally accurate than the PX100. Still, I really like it, it's awfully musical, has great bass, and its slight isolation seems like something that would work well in a gaming context.

Both the K 26 P and the PX100 are light enough and comfortable enough for extended gaming sessions. I think the DT231 is much less so. The K 26 P and PX100 have short cords (1.5 meters, I think), while the DT231 has what I think is a 3-meter cord. The K 26 P folds down and has a soft zippered carrying case, the PX100 folds down and has a hard plastic case, and the DT231 doesn't fold and has no supplied carrying case.

For rap music, I think I would recommend the K 26 P of the two: its bass is very present yet nicely controlled, and the overall sound is a little bit on the "phat" side. The DT231, though I don't like it for the kind of music I listen to, is probably a pretty decent rap headphone: the lows sound really good. I have some doubts about the PX100 for rap since its bass is on the boomy side to begin with.

I'm not very sensitive to soundstage, and can't offer you any sort of useful comparison on that score.

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
For rap music, I think I would recommend the K 26 P of the two: its bass is very present yet nicely controlled, and the overall sound is a little bit on the "phat" side. The DT231, though I don't like it for the kind of music I listen to, is probably a pretty decent rap headphone: the lows sound really good. I have some doubts about the PX100 for rap since its bass is on the boomy side to begin with.

Thanks for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back