JVC XRCD - Is it worth the price?
Aug 9, 2001 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anybody ever tried the JVC XRCD disks? Are they worth the extra money?
confused.gif

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 18
They are excellent sounding. Worth the price? Probably not as they are very expensive, but if you really want the best sounding version of a particular recording then it might be (unless you get the LP version
wink.gif
). I have heard some dropouts on one of the older jazz releases, I forget which right now, as well as a little distortion. I'm sure that's a master tape problem that they couldn't avoid, but just be aware that for whatever reason the sound is not always perfect.

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 18
I like them, but too expensive. I've only bought a couple of discs that were really favorites of mine - Art Tatum & Ben Webster, Wes Montgomery "Full House", and I've heard a few more.

They are fatigueless to listen to (no high-end harshness) and do sound somewhat "LP-like". They make a claim that the CD format can sound really, really good.

Still too expensive - all CDs should sound more like them, but not cost so much!!!

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 18
JVC XRCD discs sound very warm and smooth. consequently, they don't have a lot of "sparkle" in the treble. personally, i think MFSL was better.

see if you can find what you're looking for on half.com (or some other used CD web site).

Aug 10, 2001 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Yeah, I agree that they are too expensive but I think I'm going to find a couple of titles and try them out. I do have some HDCD titles but didn't really notice any great improvement over regular CDs.

Aug 10, 2001 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 18
acidtripwow: do you have an HDCD-compliant cd player, like the Denon 370? If you don't HDCDs will only sounds 6dB louder than their "normal" CD counterparts....

Aug 10, 2001 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 18
wow - one point off Denon 370.....hehe

Aug 10, 2001 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 18
I bought the Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard on JVC XRCD because it was one of my all-time favorite recordings. It is much better sounding than the standard CD. No comparison really, I could probably tell the difference out of my car stereo. The price on it was about $25 I think, with the normal CD coming in at around $11. I had thought that the $11 cd sounded great, so now I'm really in heaven with that recording. I'm certainly sold on the process, though it is only worth the money if you are buying an album that you already cherish.

--
Scott

Aug 11, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Arnett's comment about Mofi discs having more "sparkle" is dead on. Likewise, Mofi Discs tend to add warmth to the Midrange - their discs sound great though.

The XRCDs seem to be a more neutral rendition of the master tape - but do seem to add a touch of artificial smoothness
to the sound.

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 18
Well, this just proves the CD is not dying to standards like SACD.

Imagine if JVC did there XRCD to SACDs...

XRCD Mastering + SACD = Audio Heaven?

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 18
Can someone explain what XRCD technology is? I can infer that its some sort of improved version of CD audio that works with redbook players. Where do they sell these cds and how do you know if they are XRCD?

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 18
from xrcd.com:

"You don't need a "golden ear" to hear the improvement in an xrcd. The improvement in sound quality of xrcd over a conventional CD is not subtle. Obvious gains in clarity, transparency, dynamics and warmth of xrcd can be heard by all. xrcd allows the listener to hear what the producer and artist intended to hear the sound of the original master tape. And, unlike some other recent attempts to improve CD sound quality, no additional equipment or add on converter is necessary to fully realize the sonic benefits of the xrcd process.

xrcd is the optimization of CD mastering and manufacturing. The care and time put into the creation of an xrcd far exceeds that of any other compact disc. Sophisticated analysis by both test instrument and ear are used to evaluate every step of signal transfer, from the inception of the mastering process through the final manufacture of the disc. The degree of specialization of the process is such that only one production line at one manufacturing facility in YOKOHAMA, Japan is of sufficient quality to produce the xrcd.

Find out why virtually every audio publication in the US has given xrcd a glowing "thumbs up." LISTEN AND COMPARE."

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
acidtripwow: do you have an HDCD-compliant cd player, like the Denon 370? If you don't HDCDs will only sounds 6dB louder than their "normal" CD counterparts....

wow so that's why Beck's MUTATIONS sounds so freaking loud compared to other cds.. dang. :)

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back