JVC vs Sennheiser vs Beyerdynamic
Nov 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alemstar19

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to buy a headphone. I am new at this. I have no idea about headphones so i need your help. I have searched the forum and found these headphones;

HD598 vs DT-990-PRO vs SZ1000 vs HFI-780 vs SRH-840

I usually like to listen to rock, hip-hop etc. and I watch lots of movies. I can't decide which one is best for me ? By the way I'll buy a E10k amp and HM5 earpad.
Please help me out.

Best.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 7
DT990 are great sounding for all types of music, movies and gaming but they are open back and not portable. If you need portable and closed back headphones then I will highly recommend the Mikro90, they are on ear but they sound really good, balanced and they improve further with AMPs help. Denon D2000 are full-size closed back with great rich sound quality headphones and not quite portable for daily commute.

I will generally use them in doors so sound isolation and portability is not that important for me.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 7

I will generally use them in doors so sound isolation and portability is not that important for me.

What is more important to you, strong bass impact which a good closed headphone might deliver, or better midrange detail, soundstage, and comfort that you would get from a good open headphone like the HD598? Some are okay with the bass impact that the open Sennheiser headphone give, while others are not. I have a problem using closed circumaural(around the ears) headphones as my ears become uncomfortably hot rather soon. 

The JVC Ha-sz1000 seems like a bass monster based on the reviews at Amazon. So it seems like the opposite of the HD598. 
From a review on Amazon" but they definitely lack clarity!! Bass is the main driver here and although the mids and highs are present, it seems they have a bit of a "veil" to them and this veil causes them to loose clarity."

You really should try to find a store to listen to some headphones not just to hear which has your preferred sound signature, but to experience the fit and comfort(or lack of it) that each headphone gives you.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 7
  What is more important to you, strong bass impact which a good closed headphone might deliver, or better midrange detail, soundstage, and comfort that you would get from a good open headphone like the HD598? Some are okay with the bass impact that the open Sennheiser headphone give, while others are not. I have a problem using closed circumaural(around the ears) headphones as my ears become uncomfortably hot rather soon. 

The JVC Ha-sz1000 seems like a bass monster based on the reviews at Amazon. So it seems like the opposite of the HD598. 
From a review on Amazon" but they definitely lack clarity!! Bass is the main driver here and although the mids and highs are present, it seems they have a bit of a "veil" to them and this veil causes them to loose clarity."

You really should try to find a store to listen to some headphones not just to hear which has your preferred sound signature, but to experience the fit and comfort(or lack of it) that each headphone gives you.

There is no shop that i can try so i have to trust your experiences and comments. This is the final form of my list;
HD598 vs DT-990-pro vs SZ1000 vs HFI-780 vs SHR840

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 7

The JVC ha-sz1000 seems like a bass monster based on the reviews at Amazon. So it seems like the opposite of the HD598. 

There is no shop that i can try so i have to trust your experiences and comments.This is the final form of my list;
HD598 vs DT-990-PRO vs SZ1000 vs HFI-780 vs SRH-840

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 7
If I recall, a main reason I stopped considering an 840 is because it has a small soundstage.  If so, that wouldn't be much fun for movies.

"DT990" and "watch movies" are three words that often go together around here.  In fact, I'm wearing mine right now while watching a movie.

It's hard to go wrong with a DT990 as long as you like strong bass and highs, or if you are willing to eq them if you don't.  

Some people call the HD598 bass light, and that's worse than calling them bass neutral.  On bass alone, that's probably not what you're looking for.

You didn't answer JK1's question about bass and closed-back vs. open-back.  DT990 is open and is known for having strong bass, but I'm guessing one or both of those closed choices you listed have even more.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back