JVC Victor XA-HD500 6GB Player - Pics & Brief Comments
Dec 13, 2005 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FenderP

500+ Head-Fier
I got the Victor (JVC) XA-HD500 today. I only used it for about 30 minutes before putting it back in the box. Before you think I did that because it was a bad player, it isn't. It's a well-built, intuitive, small, light player that sounds great with the CC/K2 technology to enhance the sound. Its fatal flaw to me is the lack of gapless. I verified this by encoding a live album and playing it back.

Here's what it ships with:
  1. The XA-HD500 itself
  2. A US/Japan two prong world 100-240V adapter
  3. JVC headphones (white) with little thingy to put around the cable
  4. USB cable
  5. 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable
  6. Cradle, with power, USB, and line out
  7. Wireless remote control with battery

I didn't test the line out of the cradle, and did not even try the stock headphones. It drove my Westone ES2s very nicely at a volume under 10. I didn't test the remote either, but I did put the battery in it.

The driver install was simple and it integrates with Windows Media 10 - no proprietary software is needed. I could also install everything in English - including the manual - so you won't have to guess at how to use it.

The controls are intuitive and the whole feel of the unit is very, very well made. It does not feel cheap at all. The brushed silver is quite nice as well - very good looking player. The player also comes in black, but the silver color is only out in Japan and maybe in parts of the rest of the world, but not the USA which is supposed to get the black color.

It also does not sport a color screen as many know, but it does not hinder the player. I didn't take pics of the GUI, but some can be seen here (as well as other pics):
http://review.ascii24.com/db/review/...59270-000.html

It sounds better IMHO than my Vaio Pocket, which is my preferred player when it comes to sound. I was looking for something smaller and lighter which supported gapless for something other than WAV and had better sound quality. The search still continues.

It does have some customizable EQ: 50, 200, 1k, 3k, 14k. You can have 5 custom settings. It also has Digital AHB for bass. The CC converter function can be turned on and off. What's nice is it can also be set to mono, and you can control L/R balance.

Remember that this is geared towards a more audiophile audience, like the Kenwood HD20GA7 and the HD30GA9. To see a shootout of those two, go here:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...202/dev138.htm

The fact that it comes with a cradle and a wireless remote make it better than what most DAPs have either as it is shipped or aftermarket support. Usually these are expensive options.

I didn't test the 30 hour battery life claim, but reviews seem to feel it's pretty close.

So I am selling it (see the classifieds ad http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151911), but thought I'd post pictures for those interested.

Dec 13, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
So err...how distinguishable was the gaps? I take it you tried with several formats, lossy + lossless?

Less than a second as far as I could tell, but I also owned an iAudio M3 which was subsecond and it bothered me to no end. It was audible. So I guess It depends on your tolerance I guess - any gap just drives me nuts. I listen to a lot of live or segued stuff, so owning a player that can't play it back properly is useless to me, and I'm not ripping everything as one file. That's even more useless not being able to ffwd or rev through tracks which are "joined".

The XA-HD500 only supports MP3 and WMA, so no chance to try lossless or WAV on it. I tried MP3 and WMA at 320.

I was hoping it supported gapless because it actually uses a database in memory, not a file-system based HD, and the company who made the DB software put out a press release which touted the ability to cache information on the HD500 making it perform better. Looks like JVC didn't take advantage of everything already being in memory.

Other than that, it's a great player. The SQ is very nice. I was using it faster than my Vaio Pocket once I changed the language to English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back