JVC-Victor HP-AL1000 refreshed review
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yklee118

100+ Head-Fier
I believe that these earphones had been reviewed once or twice within this forum, however after owning these phones I have come to realize that there are many tweeks out there that can make these clip-on earphones bearable for everyday use, if not audiophile purposes. For one thing, these earphones require good amplification if the desire soundstage and sonic imaging is needed. Otherwise using an ipod to drive these earphones can be rather fatiguing mostly.

I purchased the JVC-Victor HP-AL1000 about nine months ago through Audio Cubes and I must say the fit and finish is excellent with an overall excellent package to show that this set means business. The frequency response listed can be questioned since it is a clip-on rather than the intra-aural type earbuds. Bass will be one of the things that these earphones will be lacking. And like with some of these types of earphones, the mid-range to the high-frequency range can be rather shrill, however after considerable burn-in these tones soften up a bit. Still very bright, however bearable if the volume is kept down.

To the Review
This is a Clip-on type earphone with a frequency response of 12Hz to 25,000-Hz +/-2db. The maximum input power is rated at .5WRMS. This number is relative as most of the headphone amps that I own only max out at .5WRMS at 32-ohms, which is somewhat perfect. I do notice that when driven by portable music players, the treble and mid-range is rather thin while the bass is virtually non-existent. However when mated to an amp, this changes dramatically. I use the C&C F1 to drive these earphones because of the audio qualities that this amp exhibits. It is a rather neutral amp and when paired to an earphone with a bright characteristic, I would think using this amp will quell some of these anomalies.

I was right with the pairing. The C&C F1 brings some warmth to the HP-AL1000 while further toning down the harsh and bright treble tones of the earphones. I do have to say though that these earphones are not really eyeglasses friendly. That said, not a whole lot of people will like this quality, however the sound stage presentation coupled with overall sonic imaging is rather good. Detailed treble and mid-range tones make this earphone shine a bit like that with a newly purchased Sennheiser HD280 Pro. All of these observations are before adding some much needed dampening material to the interior and ear-coupler and after more than 500-hours of listening.

Before the tweeks, the soundstage is crisp with a slight amount of harshness when pushed pass a certain volume. Mid-range remains mostly smooth up until it reaches close to the upper frequency range. Bass is tight, responsive, with a bit of bite. It isn't boomy like the Sennheiser OMX50 or the KOSS KSC-75. One could say that if listened at a normal volume of 70 to 80-dba, the overall tonal presentation would be neutral. This opinion is based on coupling this earphone to an amplifier. Without amplification, most of this neutrality would be gone and in its place are these tinny overtones throughout the entire listed frequency range.

The Tweeks consist of a micro-fiber like material cut into precise pieces placed in both the housing and the ear-coupler. The result is a smoother mid-range response with a reduction of the treble of about 1-db. The harshness is removed and the soundstage presentation is further enhanced by a slightly enhanced level of warmth and presence. The tradeoff is the crystal clear treble response, however this is a warranted trade-off since the level of crisp can be rather tiring at times when listening to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture by Telarc or Deutsch Grammaphone. Bass tones are actually reinforced with the addition of the dampening material. And surprising when hooked up directly to my ipod, the overall quality of the soundstage and presentation hasn't really declined by much. Certain details are missing without the amplification, however still a pleasurable listening experience.

The first thing I did to test my newly modified earphones was listen to the tracks that I am familar with. The first is Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat". Her voice was presented in a way best described as being in a small room and the listener sitting about 6-feet away from the instruments and singer. The Piano tones coupled with the Double Bass and Jennifier Warnes is rather musical with no real coloration of any kind. Very smooth vocal tones compliments the piano and double bass. No hint of harshness or bright upper tones. A very smooth roll of frequencies.

The next piece is Stanley Thomas Keiser's Secret Island. The Alto Saxophone tones are smooth and with great presence is like actually being at the actual location listening to them perform. The overall soundstage presentation is rather enjoyable. Again no harsh overtones of any kind in this recording nor any played through the HP-AL1000. In fact some of the tones reminds me of the Audio Technica ATH-W1000 that I currently own. Very open and wide sound-stage presence throughout the recording.

The final piece is the First track of the Ecophony Rhine. It is a Japanese Recording that uses synthesizers and vocal recordings within a temple like environment. A great piece used to test soundstage imaging with both loudspeakers and headphones. The Bass presence is clearly evident with again not harsh overtones. Smooth mid-range to upper frequency roll offs is something not very typical with clip-ons, and this earphone is no exception. This is however before the modification. After though, the mid to upper frequency roll is every so smooth with the bass being tight and present throughout the track.

Overall the JVC-Victor HP-AL1000 is a very good, audiophile type clip-on earphone and with a good amount of dampening, this can give some of the more mid range expensive headphones a run for their money.

Feel Free to ask me questions

Thanks YKL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back