JVC-Victor DX1000 Impressions + Pics (Complete with On-Head pic awesomeness!)
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I am really enjoying these! This is the first pair of headphones I have ever owned that did not have a really recessed mid-range. I am still adjusting to it, however, I am finding I really like the presentation of guitars.

The bass is fully integrated into the sound, making for a smooth presentation. It is not too laid back, but just right for me. The highs are sparkly when they need to be, and not overbearing or shrill. Overall an excellent can!

For those who say they lack bass, it is most likely because the other frequencies are at the same volume as the bass, (no recession) making it seem as though there is not enough bass.

The headphones themselves are very very light. The cups themselves are quite light aswell. Build quality is top-notch. The ear pads are basically giant pillows which cradle your head.

Sounstage is really big! I can hear sounds coming at me from some different angles. Instrument seperation is also very nice.

My only real gripe is the slight spike in the upper mids some call "honky-ness". It is not very noticeable on some tracks, but others sound a little hollow due to it.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 28
nice joe. how do they compare to your other headphones?

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 28
Actually, I have not done any A-B tests because I cannot make myself take them off of my head! I will probably compare them to my ultrasones and a900 tomorrow sometime.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 28
aren't jvc made by harmon kardon now?

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 28
One other thing to add:

These are REALLY big headphones. I look like I have softball glued to each side of my head! I think the only thing larger than these are some of the stax and the sony r-10's! I will post an oh head pic if you promise not to laugh!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 28
Another update:

These HP's will let you know if the recording was poorly mastered. I am hearing so really bad imaging, which I attribute to poor recording technique.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 28
yes I did say the pads are like pillows, comfy and with the right amount of firmness. The bass is there in spades, get some very heavy bass tracks and see. No bloating what so ever and is natural all the way. What I like best about these cans though is the soundstage, big but never so big that you feel alone in some stadium. You want to have some fun, try a binaural recording called "Virtual haircut", you will be floored. do a Google search.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 28
Who did you order them from? I've been debating between the JVCs and A-T ATH-W5000's. Any customs duty?

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who did you order them from? I've been debating between the JVCs and A-T ATH-W5000's. Any customs duty?

If you're talking to me then, no customs as in Australia the final figure has to pass $1000 dollars before one incurs GST and Customs. I bought mine from Audiocubes. From what I've read the W5000 might be slightly better at detail retrieval although the JVCs are much better at Bass.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a Picture for the ages:

Why yes, I do have a MASSIVE head!

jgonino, where did you purchase your DX1000's, and did you have to deal with any customs duty here in the States?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back