JVC RX700 vs. beyerdynamic MMX 2
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

burwij

New Head-Fier
I received a pair of beyerdynamic MMX 2s as a gift earlier this week and I'm trying to decide what to do with them. Since I'm considering returning the MMX 2s I don't really have the option of opening them and testing them out, hence this post.

Right now I'm using JVC RX700s (with the foam mod) with a Xonar DG and a cheap Logitech desktop mic. My RX700s are in perfect working order and I'm pretty happy with the setup considering the price paid. I don't have a strong preference in the circum- vs supra-aural department, though I've gotten pretty used to the RX700s. From what I understand the MMX 2s ($100) are basically DT 235s ($60) with an added mic. I haven't gotten any complaints about my crappy Logitech mic, so that side of the equation doesn't really matter at this point.

I do a lot of gaming (FPS, RTS, racing, and pretty much whatever is on sale), though I also listen to a decent amount of music so I'm looking for the best all-around option. My music tastes are all over the place (Kanye just popped up after Blues Traveler), though it's probably skewed towards 90's rock/acoustic/alternative. I'm listening to standard MP3s with a $20 sound card so I don't think that qualifies me for audiophile status.

tl;dr - Should I go with the MMX 2 over the RX700, or is this a $100 sidegrade?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back