JVC Riptidz - Fantastic "beater" headphone for less than $10!
May 5, 2012 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GigaFi

500+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]

[size=10pt][16] JVC Riptidz HA-FX8[/size]

[size=9pt](One of the eight available colors of the Riptidz)[/size]

[size=10pt]Packaging[/size][size=10pt] – Comes with the bare minimum: SML tips in blister packaging.[/size]
[size=10pt]Build[/size][size=10pt] – Plastic body and thin cable is about what you’d expect for the price but the lack of strain reliefs is questionable. Supposedly sweat proof, but you can test that.[/size]
[size=10pt]Comfort[/size][size=10pt] – Small, lightweight, and very comfortable. Isolation is about average, so while not great, it still sufficiently blocks out external noise.[/size]
[size=10pt]Soundstage[/size][size=10pt] – The Riptidz’s sense of space and imaging is decent for its class. It’s not confining and provides just enough depth to be enjoyable but won’t blow minds.[/size]
[size=10pt]Lows[/size][size=10pt] – Very slightly mid bassy. Impactful when called for, smooth and well done.[/size]
[size=10pt]Mids[/size][size=10pt] – The midrange was very clear and vocals were placed right where you would want them. The slight bassiness did not color the mids.[/size]
[size=10pt]Highs[/size][size=10pt] – The whole top end of the JVC is relatively laid back, dull even. Despite the lack of quantity, it still somehow manages to have some harsh spots.[/size]

[size=10pt]The JVC Riptidz is a fantastic pair of headphone for the $5-$10 it costs. Durability concerns aside, the balanced sound make it one of better options at this price range.[/size]

[size=10pt]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size]

I read a few posts and reviews here and there on the Riptidz and decided to give them a try. Glad I did because they are quickly becoming my favorite at this price range!

I won't say they are better or worse than the current budget gems like the SHE3580 or the MEP-933 BUT they for sure have a better cable (besides strain reliefs) and a better fit.

These are in no way high end but I just thought they sounded (and looked) great for a pair of headphone that is essentially disposable. 

These can be had for $6-$9 on Amazon right now (multiplet colors available) or IF you can find them on clearance at Best Buy, they will ring up for $5. For that price, I'd say skip a trip to McDonalds and give these a shot! Post impressions if you do!

Off the top of my head since I don't have them anymore for comparison, feel free to chip in:

vs SHE3580 - The Philips had a much more impactful deep bass but slightly less mid bass. The JVC is less V-shaped and more balanced making the midrange more noticeable. Cable on the 3580 was horrible tangly mess but pretty good over here.

vs MEP-933 - Pretty different sound signature. The bass was less pronounced in the Monoprice (even lacking to me) but the midrange was much more forward. Fit is IMMENSELY better with the JVC because it's made for...you know...human ears.

vs M9 - The low end is much more controled on the Riptidz and is noticeably less in quantity. Midrange and highs were also very dull on the M9 in comparison. Not my preferred sound but not bad though.

vs CK-700 - You tell me, it's on my "To Buy" list :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back