JVC Marshmallows to UE Super.fi 5 EB or Pros-how similar are they
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iDunnolio

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm thinking about upgrading from my JVC marshmallows to the Super.fi 5 EB. How much difference will I hear and is it worth it to upgrade? I listen to a lot of rap music with heavy bass and I like to hear a bass presence. I also balance this out with heavy classical instrumental music so will the super.fi 5 eb work fine with classical as well? I'm afraid the super.fi 5 pros will not have enough bass for me because when I listened to my friends in comparison to the marshmallows, the marshamallows has more bass but not as accurate in everything else. The super.fi 5 pros has so smooth mids though, its awesome. So, my question is: how much difference will I hear and do you think the super.fi 5 EB's are good for someone who listens to this music mix: 50% rap; 20% rock, 30% classical.

Thanks

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 6
well i too have the marshmallows.. and other canalphones .. and it's a definite upgrade.

marshmallows are good for their price and that's not saying much..

with bloated bass overwhelming everything else.. i just couldn't stand it until i did the kramer mod and things started to become bearable.

I too was a sucker for bass, but now i really more of a quality>quantity type of guy.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I did the same jump and it was a big change, you will notice a big difference compared to the Marshmallow's, much clearer and more power. Definitely worth it if you ask me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 6
For the 50 % rap you listen to, they will be great, a huge upgrade. The other genres, specially the classical, the pros will be a much better choice. It is up to you if you want the bass or the clarity.

The pros are said here to be pretty bass heavy, but that is coming from people used to a lot less bass than the marshmellows. My guess is you will only accept the bass of the EB's.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I listened to my friend's super.fi 5 pros and they seemed to be missing a significant amount of bass in rap songs. In other pieces, they didn't seem to have a lot of sparkle in them. I was mostly a very smooth midrange I heard and some mid-low-bass but not <40hz. Is this basically the same sound signature as the EB but with just more bass? I would like to have some treble also. I think it is probably because I am used to listening to the Sony MDR-V6's. So, after listening to the super.fi 5 pro, what in the EB version should be different from the pros and what should I expect to sound the same for both the Pros and EB's.

Thanks!!

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDunnolio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this basically the same sound signature as the EB but with just more bass? I would like to have some treble also. So, after listening to the super.fi 5 pro, what in the EB version should be different from the pros and what should I expect to sound the same for both the Pros and EB's.

Thanks!!

Yes, it is pretty much the same sound signature, but with the EB's everything is slightly drowned out by bass. If you use them for some time though, you will get used to their sound signature and they will sound more neutral to you since they become your new reference. I used to find that I could get a detailed sound out of them, just couldn't stand the bass after the use of some more neutral phones.

The EBs and the Pros both use the same armature for the mids and highs, however the SF5 Pros have a bass armature for tight, detailed bass and the EBs use a 13mm dynamic dricer for deep, somewhat bloated and very exagurated bass.

Sounds like the EBs are what you are looking for then, many head-fiers praise them, and most agree that it is only after 150 hours or more that their true sound emerges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back