JVC Marshmallows rev + great quick MOD
Jun 26, 2008 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

3amsleep

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post here!

2 weeks ago my 30$ IEM panasonics broke, they where my choice of IEMs 'cause of the price/availability/sound (btw, they sounded pretty good back when IEMs just started to get to my country, but now i wouldn't recommend them).

the thing is, i started looking for a pair of new IEMs that sounded good and with a price lower than 30$ (i don't have a job right now so i can't spend a lot on headphones). looking on many forums and reviews i got to the conclusion that i'd give JVC marshmallows a try, so i got them for just 18$ bucks.

[size=medium]REVIEW[/size]

01bd8.jpg

first impression wasn't very nice, my iaudio G3 mp3 layer was at full volume when i turned it on... so i was like, ·$%"%"$&IH"$TG$I"!$!!!!$%"!%!"··$!"

later when i was more relaxed i tried again, and i was surprised, the sound was way better than my old IEMS, not as good as my home headphones ( 205 senns ), but the sound was really outstanding for a 20$ IEMs.

the un-eqd sound is just as many people described it, a little recessed on the highs, big bass and a bit muddy, but with a little EQ on the 5band of my mp3 player and voila!, the sound is detailed more balanced and harmonic.

02lx1.jpg

i have to say, i'm just so happy with this pair of IEMs, they're really cheap, and sounds GREAT!, obviously they don't sound as good as er6 etymonics or something like that, but i would say that for 20$ you are getting a typical 50$-60$ IEMs sound.

On the other hand i have some complaints on the construction of these things; The tips, as an industrial designer and an ergonomist i have to say they chose the worst shape to mold these things, the foam material is very good but the shape is terrible, it was almost impossible for me to get them in the right position inside my ears to get the full sound. The long rounded finish on the tips makes the tips bend and close themselves inside my ears, so i heard a damped/clogged sound.

I recommend changing the tips for a pair of orange shures or something similar, OR better, make this quick mod i came up with.

[size=medium]My quick tips Mod[/size]

After looking over the foam tips i understood what the problem was, and i found that there is a quick simple way to fix this problem efficiently.

so here they are, those nasty tips.
03qp6.jpg

and here´s the modded tips
04nw0.jpg

05yw5.jpg

06ac4.jpg

all you have to do is pull the foams out (leave the grey tube, don't take it out), be careful with your nails you can damage the tips, turn them around and put them in again, Yeah that's all!.

Now i can get the nicest fit, isolation and full sound right on to my ears without expending a cent on overpriced shure foams (which also are nearly impossible to get in my country).

i know it sounds dumb, but i can guarantee it's a day/night difference, and it's a completely reversible mod, so go ahead and try it.

im still burning them in, so i wont try the kramer mod for now, but when i do, i will comment about it.

happy modding!.

Regards, 3amsleep.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my marshmallows on monday. I didnt think there was a burn in time on these.. is there? how long is it?

well, the general consensus is that every headphone (and audio product with a diaphragm) changes their sound qualities over time, specially on the first 100-200 hours, then the changes are pretty subtle, almost nil, and imperceptible.

so, to make sure you are getting the "real" sound from your headphones, burn them for 100-200 hours or use them for an equivalent period of time, or use your preferred technique.

more info on the burn-in faq >>> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...urn-faq-56744/

Regards, 3amsleep.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't know. I've liked my plugs the other way since they are pointy and easy to shape like an earplug. Makes deeper insertion easier.

It depends on the ,model. I have the older FX-33(which has longer, pointier tips) and the FX-34(that has the more rounded tips). The FX-34 is the newer model that I didn't like too much. I think I'll try this on my FX-34s and see if they fit better.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 19
Hmm interesting, easy mod. May have to try it out when I have time. Just be careful with the cord as my first pair had an internal break in the wiring due to getting caught on a dresser and pulling...

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 19
What exactly are the differences between the older FX33's and newer FX34's?

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. I've liked my plugs the other way since they are pointy and easy to shape like an earplug. Makes deeper insertion easier.

It depends on the ,model. I have the older FX-33(which has longer, pointier tips) and the FX-34(that has the more rounded tips). The FX-34 is the newer model that I didn't like too much. I think I'll try this on my FX-34s and see if they fit better.

the idea is to be more like real foam tips that you have to roll and put in your ears, and with this method it would create a better seal. otherwise, pointy is better where you generally just shove them in.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the idea is to be more like real foam tips that you have to roll and put in your ears, and with this method it would create a better seal. otherwise, pointy is better where you generally just shove them in.

you've got it!, that's exactly what this mod is for.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remove the little paper filter from end of the sound tube to correct the unbalanced sound considerably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3amsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im still burning them in, so i wont try the kramer mod for now, but when i do, i will comment about it.

thnx anyways.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 19
no, removing the paper filter is not the kramer mod.

adding foam is the complete kramer mod.

stock marshmallows, even when burned in(i believe i've done something like a month pink noise 24/7), suck.

without paper filter, it is imo just about as bad.

with copious amounts of foam, it is way better.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly are the differences between the older FX33's and newer FX34's?

?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back