JVC Marshmallows on sale <$10
Jan 6, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #46 of 65
Between leaving work and getting to Circuit City they had sold the last pair, so I ended up with a blue pair and a green pair at Best Buy. No problem matching the price. Not sure if I want blue or green, but they were better than pink! I figure I can beat the hell out of these at the gym and not care.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my pair today. I was looking into getting a sound-isolating phone, so this deal was very nice. But this being one of my first IEM/canalphone (don't know the difference clearly, yet, if there is one) the foamy is really hard to stuff into my ear, even though my ear canals are supposedly super huge. Oh, and it just blocked out the doorbell, so I guess that vouches for its sound-isolating capabilities. Oh, and lasly, one question, how long of a burn-in does this thing require? The sound currently isn't bad, but I want to get the last bit of performance out of this as possible.

A $10 pair of IEMs is exactly that, It's going to sound terrible burned in or not. You get what you pay for
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, I don't think you are going to notice a difference, burn in is usually not applicable with IEMs.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A $10 pair of IEMs is exactly that, It's going to sound terrible burned in or not. You get what you pay for
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, I don't think you are going to notice a difference, burn in is usually not applicable with IEMs.

Boy, I hope that's not true. I just picked up my 2 pair and plugged into my Tomahawk. First impression - not bad but yikes they are bright for my taste! I'll leave them running tonite and hope that the top end smooths out with break-in.
FWIW, I'm not hearing the massive bass everyone talks about but maybe cause the stock earbuds aren't very tight in my ears. I'll true the shure foamies soon.

BTW, at CC, the rack price is $24! I picked up 2 sets for 9.99 each ordering online and picking up at the store. Very strange.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well I think its all relative. For $10, these headphones are a steal. I paid $20 and don't regret it at all. I think they compare very well to IEMs that cost upto $60 (Shure E2, Ety ER6, etc...), especially with Shure E2 foam tips. Of course Ety ER4P or Shure E4Cs are going to sound alot better, but they cost ~$180.

Quote:

Well these aren't like REAL IEMs, which use balanced armature drivers, they use dynamic drivers like most traditional headphones and have improved with burn in, in my experience anyway.

And I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you've never even heard these headphones before.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #51 of 65
Urgh... when it's plugged into my Total BitHead at max volume without anything playing, it hisses very noticeably... Does this occur on other people's setups, too? Or did I just get a defective one?

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you've never even heard these headphones before.
tongue.gif

Nope, but that is of absolutely no relevance to what I said. any $20 phone is going to have noticeable issues, and the IEM comment was a possible, uninformed anwer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Urgh... when it's plugged into my Total BitHead at max volume without anything playing, it hisses very noticeably... Does this occur on other people's setups, too? Or did I just get a defective one?

Yes that is perfectly normal. All my amps make some kind of hiss when the vol knob is maxed. Whats more important is how the setup sounds at real world volume settings.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Nope, but that is of absolutely no relevance to what I said. any $20 phone is going to have noticeable issues, and the IEM comment was a possible, uninformed anwer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Disagree.
Just because a headphone is cheap, doesn't necessarily mean it will "have issues". How good a headphone sounds is more a matter of listener perception, preference and personal taste than its selling price.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #56 of 65
I tried 3 Circuit City stores in the area early to late last week when I was in the neighborhoods of them, and despite that their website said the store(s) had plenty of them in stock--when I got to the store, they didn't. "We're doing inventory right now--sorry" was the answer I was given by the brain-dead employees there.

Circuit City really sucks. Every time I go in there I get a sense of disarray--and if you pay store prices without bringing in a printout of what their internet site is selling items for you get raped. I tried to order them online for store pickup but for some reason the website wouldn't let me and kept trying to charge me for shipping.

I wound up picking up a pair of these at BB for $17.99. That's my last chance for Circuit City though. I knew I should have ignored this thread and just bought them at BB from the beginning...probably wasted more money in gas driving all over town to come up empty-handed on these than if I'd just bought them from BB in the first place. I actually wouldn't have given Circuit City a chance at all but I wanted the black ones (which my BB doesn't have). Oh well...

On the bright side they're enjoyable little phones. I haven't had a chance to do a head-to-head against my EP-630s but my sense is they compare favorably to them as others have mentioned.

The blue ones probably look "cheaper" than the black ones though--the E2 foamies suggested might help the look a bit.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #57 of 65
Sorry, I know I'm double posting about the same stuff, but I think this will be a better post to post this in. Is the static natural on these? Both my PCDP and laptop setup are producing it constantly.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #58 of 65
Anyone know if these are available in Europe for a reasonble price?

I just had the third pair of ep-630 die on me.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wound up picking up a pair of these at BB for $17.99.

The Circuit City near me also had none, though the website claimed differently. However, Best Buy matched the price. I thought for a minute they might try to claim that the model numbers were different (because of the color), but they didn't care. I did end up with blue and green instead of black, but no matter. The blue ones have a black cord, and it's white on the green ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back