JVC Marshmallow Question
Apr 11, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 31
quietstorm:

You don't say which earphones you are buying these for. This thread started out about Marshamllows, but we all know that threads sometimes go left (or is it South).

So assuming your questions refer to Marshmallows....

My understanding is that the Shure E2/E2c tips fit the Marshmallow. (I am using UE tips). As a result, do NOT BUY the first ones on the page that you referenced, they are for the E3c/etc.

Next small...medium...large. Thats very personal. I believe that it depends on the size & shape of your ears. For best fit, you might require one size in the left and another size in the right. I would GUESS that medium is the most common size., but that's not necessarily correct for you.

If you head to DiscountHeadphones.com you will see various choices for the E2, including a variety pack for $9 shipping included.

I bought my UE tips from them. Universal Fit Kit, also $9. DiscountHeadphones.com

Steve

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 31
Thank you very much for the information, Steve and telling me not to buy the ones that I referred to in my previous post, heh. Yes, I ordered the marshmallows
smily_headphones1.gif

You are right about the size issue. Buying a variety pack would be wise. Thank you for the links. The $9 pack costs more than the marshmallows itself
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the reply. You mean the 1st ones on the list (Black Foam Sleeves), right? :
Shure - Sleeves

And again, they are different sizes, heh. Small, medium, large. I wouldn't want to buy all the sizes
smily_headphones1.gif
So what size is the most popular?

Yes, the black foams are the "olive" foams. I personally use the small olives which seem to be equivalent in size to mediums on canalphones like the MDREX71, CX300 etc. The medium olives are just slightly bigger and fit my ears as well. The large Ive never tried because they look humongous
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the black foams are the "olive" foams. I personally use the small olives which seem to be equivalent in size to mediums on canalphones like the MDREX71, CX300 etc. The medium olives are just slightly bigger and fit my ears as well. The large Ive never tried because they look humongous
tongue.gif

Thank you for the reply.

So, as I have read you have also used the olives for fx33 (marshmallows). Steve (the previous poster) said not to buy the olives, so I'm a bit confused here
redface.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #20 of 31
quietstorm...according to pomme de terre's signature he has SE210 phones, not Marshmallows. Those black foams will fit the SE210.

Of course, he could have both.

Steve

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 31
This thread has an interesting picture. Shows the diff between the openings in the tips. But if you read down, there are some interesting statements aboutstretching the openings.

Steve

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeZ5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quietstorm...according to pomme de terre's signature he has SE210 phones, not Marshmallows. Those black foams will fit the SE210.

Of course, he could have both.

Steve

Yep, I saw that signature also but he was describing the marshmallow tips so nicely that I thought he might have had them at one point. Still, I think that I'll buy one of the kits that you recommended
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #23 of 31
Ok so to clarify, as I said earlier here, the Shure olives do NOT fit the marshmallow. None of the tips from Shure's SE series will. I was merely trying to answer quietstorm's questions about olive sizes.

The only Shure tips that fit are the old ones that were made for the E2C (and other tips for the same size tip). This would include the old clear PVC sleeves, orange foam sleeves and black rubber sleeves.

And I do NOT own Mallows but my friend has a pair and Ive helped him kramer mod them as well as change sleeves on them (with my old E2C sleeves), so I have a bit of experience with them.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so to clarify, as I said earlier here, the Shure olives do NOT fit the marshmallow. None of the tips from Shure's SE series will. I was merely trying to answer quietstorm's questions about olive sizes.

The only Shure tips that fit are the old ones that were made for the E2C (and other tips for the same size tip). This would include the old clear PVC sleeves, orange foam sleeves and black rubber sleeves.

And I do NOT own Mallows but my friend has a pair and Ive helped him kramer mod them as well as change sleeves on them (with my old E2C sleeves), so I have a bit of experience with them.

Ok, thank you for clarifying, pomme de terre
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sorry I didn't understand before.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #26 of 31
The black foams fit if you stretch the hell out of them...but then again a lot of people don't want to put forth the effort to do so. I have them on my marshmallows right now, the Shure black olives that is.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #29 of 31
Comply tips work but I don't like them because they get dirty fast for me at least. For the Marshmallows, you want to get their T-400 series.

Comply Foam - Comply Foam Tips T-400 Version

They have a generic picture there, so disregard that for size. I never tried the complys on the mellows, only on my old UM1s since they came with it, but I would expect them to sound like the olives with less bass. The olives are more durable than the complys, that's for sure. Sorry I can't help you out with how they sound. They are also one size fits all, so if you have big ears, they MIGHT not work, and if you have small ears, they might hurt. The complys that came with my UM1s had a small size and a bigger size. Only benefit I see from getting complys is that you can take them off easily. Once the Shure olives are on, they are not going to come off easy...at all...at least they're easy to clean ^_^

Edit: When I say easy to take off, I mean to take off the stem of the marshmallows for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back