JVC Marshmallow Question
Apr 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

raydanator

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have another quick question. Will these tips work with the JVC Marshmallows?

Amazon.com: Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones: Electronics

I was told something about the e2C replacement tips working or something like that, but am not sure which are which. Also, how do you remove the gray tube on the marshmallows? I was told that was necessary to do, and do you have to cut it off, or what have you guys done? Thanks a bunch!

-raydanator

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 31
The E2C and the SE tips are different sizes. The SE ones are much smaller bore and will not fit over the E2 tips. As far as the marshmallows are concerned i'm not sure what modifications need to be made to fit the E2 tips on them.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 31
Ok, well I don't quite understand about SE's fitting over E2c's , I don't actually own the Shures, but I read that the orange foam e2Cs lose their expandability pretty quick, and the more round shaped ones are more siliconey or something, and not foam, so I think I might try the SE replacement tips. I don't know what size they are or anything, but if anybody has any ideas, or measurements or anything, please let me know. Thanks much for all the help,

-raydanator

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 31
Tips from the Shure SE series will NOT fit the Mallows (this includes the olive foamies)

Tips from the E2C WILL fit, after removing the tubing on the Mallows. I find that the fit is slightly loose though (maybe not loose, but not very tight).

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 31
Oh ok, well thanks for letting me know. I contacted Shure, and the sizes seem really close: "The nozzle on the SE210 has a diameter of .130 inches."

But I think you know what you're talking about, so thanks for the info.

Does anyone use/like the E2c soft flex tips, or the foam tips? Amazon.com: Shure EA510M Soft Flex Replacement Sleeves (Black) for Shure E2c, E2g, I2c and QuietSpot Headsets - Medium: Electronics I don't really know much about them, besides reviews saying that the soft flex tend to loosen out of your ear. I really like foam tips as well, but I read that they lose their "foaminess" after a couple weeks. Is this true?

Also, I found these sound isolating silicone tips, I believe: Amazon.com: Shure PA757S Small Flex Sleeves for Shure E2c Sound-Isolating Earphones (5 Pairs): Electronics

I'm thinking the best ones are probably the soft flex, but I'm not sure. What do you folks prefer?

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks DoomzDayz, all that info helped-especially after I noticed the mod for '33s. I'm definitely trying that one out.

Out of the three e2C tips- Foamies, Soft Flex, and Clear, which have the most isolation? I actually really like the stock tips on the fx33's, but they're wearing out, and I wanted to try something new. Isolation would be nice, but the soft flex, and clear seem pretty similar. I'm definitely going to try out some foam ones, because they seem very close to the stock tips, which I like. Anyways, thanks for all the help everyone, and i'll stop bugging y'all with these tip questions. Thanks

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 31
The foams will isolate the best but the orange foams arent very comfortable (hard and scratchy) and I dont think theyre made for repeated use either.

From what I remember, the black flex sleeves are flimsy partly because the rubber sleeve part is thin. They are the most comfortable though.

The clear (PVC I think) sleeves are very stiff and not very comfortable. I have a friend using these on his Mallows right now and he says theyre fine.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 31
I am using UE tips on my Marshmallows. I did this some time ago, but as I recall...

The grey tube on one earpiece came off very easily (just pulled off?). The other earpiece needed a small pair of needle nose pliers to 'encourage' it to separate; but still came off quite easily. I'd hate to need to put them back on though.
tongue.gif

Steve

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The foams will isolate the best but the orange foams arent very comfortable (hard and scratchy) and I dont think theyre made for repeated use either.

Sorry, for writing into this 6-days-old thread but what do you mean the foams are not made for repeated use?
I just ordered the marshmallows and have been reading that people really like the orange shure e2 foams so I am considering buying these.
Also, I've read quite a lot of the "marshmallow foam" threads but couldn't find an answer to the question: what size of the foams should I order? small, medium, large?

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 31
i use the orange foams for around 2 months, then they get kinda gross and mushy... that's when i replace them! TA-DA!

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use the orange foams for around 2 months, then they get kinda gross and mushy... that's when i replace them! TA-DA!

and what size do you use for the foams? have you tried different sizes?

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietstorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, for writing into this 6-days-old thread but what do you mean the foams are not made for repeated use?
I just ordered the marshmallows and have been reading that people really like the orange shure e2 foams so I am considering buying these.
Also, I've read quite a lot of the "marshmallow foam" threads but couldn't find an answer to the question: what size of the foams should I order? small, medium, large?

They are very porous and will trap a lot of dirt and gunk unlike the new olive foams which are smooth.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very porous and will trap a lot of dirt and gunk unlike the new olive foams which are smooth.

Thank you for the reply. You mean the 1st ones on the list (Black Foam Sleeves), right? :
Shure - Sleeves

And again, they are different sizes, heh. Small, medium, large. I wouldn't want to buy all the sizes
smily_headphones1.gif
So what size is the most popular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back