JVC JA-S55 Integrated Amplifier
Jan 24, 2015 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cakebreaker

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if anyone has JVC JA-S55 Integrated Amplifier and how it sounds with headphones. I have the opportunity to get one soon but I'm not sure if it's even worth it.

JVC JA-S55
Integrated Amplifiers

Output Power:
65 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms (1kHz, 0.02% THD),
70 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms (1kHz, 0.05% THD),
60 watts per channel, min. RMS, both channels driven, into 8 ohms, from 20Hz to 20,000Hz with no more than 0.02% total harmonic distortion

Total Harmonic Distortion (1 kHz): 0.005% at 60W Output 0.02% at 1W Output
Intermodulation Distortion: 0.01% at 60W Output
Damping Factor: 50 (20 — 20kHz, 8 ohms)
Load Impedance: 4—16 ohms (SYSTEM 1 or 2) 8—16 ohms (SYSTEM 1 + 2)

Input Sensitivity (Impedance):
Phono: 2.5mV (PHONO-1, 2) (47k ohms)
Tuner: 200mV (50k ohms)
AUX: 200mV (50k ohms)
Tape play: 200mV (50k ohms) (Tape-1, 2)
Phono Overload Capacity: 230mV (RMS)
RIAA Phono Equalization: ±0.3dB from RIAA Curve

Output Level:
Tape rec: 200mV
DIN REC: 30mV (80k ohms)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (RMS)
Phono (IHF A Network): 81dB
Tuner, AUX, Tape Play (IHF A Network): 105dB
Frequency Response: 5Hz—100 kHz (+0, -1dB)

Tone Controls:
Bass: 100Hz ±8dB
Treble: 10 kHz ±8dB
Subsonic Filter: 6dB/oct. at 18Hz
Muting Level: -20dB
Loudness Control (-30dB Volume Control): +6dB at 100Hz, +4dB at 10 kHz

Dimensions (H x W x D, mm): 149 x 420 x 334
Weight: 10kg

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 16
I just deoxed some noisy switches and started listening to my JA-S55 last night. Blues music. 
At first, it sounded a bit strident, like it was straining. But as it kept playing, over time the sound become warmer and better.
I also noticed, muting it -20db and turning up the volume improved the sound quality as well. It seems to perform better when operating in its upper power range.
Overall, I like the sound when it's had time to warm up. I kinda see as a unit in a spare room rather than a primary piece of audio.
Don

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 16
  I just deoxed some noisy switches and started listening to my JA-S55 last night. Blues music. 
At first, it sounded a bit strident, like it was straining. But as it kept playing, over time the sound become warmer and better.
I also noticed, muting it -20db and turning up the volume improved the sound quality as well. It seems to perform better when operating in its upper power range.
Overall, I like the sound when it's had time to warm up. I kinda see as a unit in a spare room rather than a primary piece of audio.
Don

Thanks. What are you comparing it to? I have Matrix M-Stage and Darkvoice 336se, so I'm not sure if JA-S55 will be much needed. Well, unless it has a unique sound.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 16
I have been listening to a Sony STR-6046A receiver that gets a power assist from a Toshiba  SC-335Mk II power amp.
I'm in a small office, so my power requirements aren't huge.
Day two of listening to the JVC and it's growing on me. I'm noticing it does a good job on separation and spreading the sound around the room. More than the Sony. 
Don

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks. What are you comparing it to? I have Matrix M-Stage and Darkvoice 336se, so I'm not sure if JA-S55 will be much needed. Well, unless it has a unique sound.

Doesn't make sense to me to buy an integrated amp for headphone output when you already have that equipment. Buy an integrated amp if you need it for speakers :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 16
The integrated amp does have a large number of inputs, tone controls, meters and outstanding good looks, I think its a keeper. 

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Doesn't make sense to me to buy an integrated amp for headphone output when you already have that equipment. Buy an integrated amp if you need it for speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it doesn't but I have a problem. I can't stop getting new toys. Sorry :wink:

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 16
  I have been listening to a Sony STR-6046A receiver that gets a power assist from a Toshiba  SC-335Mk II power amp.
I'm in a small office, so my power requirements aren't huge.
Day two of listening to the JVC and it's growing on me. I'm noticing it does a good job on separation and spreading the sound around the room. More than the Sony. 
Don

Sounds intriguing. Against all odds I think I will go for JVC amp as well. As soon as I give it a try I will share my thoughts on it. Keep updating if you have time. Thanks man!

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey. I actually have that amp in my garage right now... used to be my grandpas. I've been using it for 3 years but over a while a bulb has gone out, some caps started to leak, and the DC offset became high in one channel. I'm thinking of getting it restored. There's a shop that specializes in restoring old audio gear near me. 

I ran LCD3, HE400/500/560, Sennheiser HD600, and an HD800 on it. It does well with headphones that are moderate to low efficiency (noise floor becomes audible easily). 

I actually compared it side by side with my original Lyr 1 for driving planars, believe it or not, it's on par with it! So, yes it's worth it! 

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 16
  Hey. I actually have that amp in my garage right now... used to be my grandpas. I've been using it for 3 years but over a while a bulb has gone out, some caps started to leak, and the DC offset became high in one channel. I'm thinking of getting it restored. There's a shop that specializes in restoring old audio gear near me. 

I ran LCD3, HE400/500/560, Sennheiser HD600, and an HD800 on it. It does well with headphones that are moderate to low efficiency (noise floor becomes audible easily). 

I actually compared it side by side with my original Lyr 1 for driving planars, believe it or not, it's on par with it! So, yes it's worth it! 

Nice pic! Can you describe the way JVC sounds like? Unfortunately, I've never tried Lyr,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back