JVC HA-S700
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AnGeLiCbOrIs

500+ Head-Fier
I just saw the JVC HA-S700 at Circuit City. I was wondering if anyone here has tried them yet. They look similar to the TriPorts but are nicer looking. They cost about $45 online. Someone also wrote a glowing 5 star review on Amazon.

Quote:

I just bought these headphone for a trip to China. I wanted something lightweight that sounded great and the JVC hits on both items.
They fold flat to make storage easy and come with a pouch.
They compare very well to Bose Tri-port at half the price.
Don't buy in to Bose hype !!
Buy the JVC !

22015.JPG

31kgXxweYAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 19
I just bought a pair. The are solidly built and very comfortable. They have memory foam ear pads.

So far I think they are good for the money but I am not yet sure of the overall SQ. I will post a detailed review after some burn-in.

They are currently only $35 on buy.com.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 19
Hey, sorry for digging up an old thread, but how have these held up for these past few months? I've just seen some online and they look very interesting, exactly what I've been looking for. How do they sound and how comfortable are they? Since they're folding, do they seem pretty durable too? Thanks a lot!

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, sorry for digging up an old thread, but how have these held up for these past few months? I've just seen some online and they look very interesting, exactly what I've been looking for. How do they sound and how comfortable are they? Since they're folding, do they seem pretty durable too? Thanks a lot!

They don't sound that great out of my H120 but they are extremely comfortable (after a bit of stretching) and durable. There are a few impressions on my blog.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 19
My basic impression of them is that they are fairly comfortable, although they didn't fit very well over my ears at first, and seem to be fairly well built. The overall SQ is somewhat low, but not low for that price range, I think. I noticed a lot of sibilence, and the bass is somewhat boomy and out of control.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't sound that great out of my H120 but they are extremely comfortable (after a bit of stretching) and durable. There are a few impressions on my blog.

Oh that's your blog? Haha I read it already; seems to be the only review I could find on these headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you for your input. Even though comfort is probably my biggest concern, I would like them to sound somewhat decent (I know that's probably asking a lot at this price point)

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exediron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My basic impression of them is that they are fairly comfortable, although they didn't fit very well over my ears at first, and seem to be fairly well built. The overall SQ is somewhat low, but not low for that price range, I think. I noticed a lot of sibilence, and the bass is somewhat boomy and out of control.

Thank you, too, for your input. This makes it very tough to decide because I would love some comfortable headphones, but it's still hard for me to justify spending too much more than $50 on them.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 19
How do these compare to the AKG K81DJ?

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 19
As I posted, I gave these to my sister as a gift. I listened to them yesterday after what must be hundreds of hours of burn-in. I must say that the sound really improved. They sounded really good all around and are now even more comfortable than I remember. I can't think of another closed headphone in the sub $75 price range that I could recommend higher than these. They'd also make a nice gift as the JVC presentation is excellent.

I only listened to them for a few minutes so I'd be hard pressed to give a detailed review but they sounded very nice to me.

They are now an incredibly cheap $34 w/ free shipping at buy.com or from buy.com's Amazon store.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't think of another closed headphone in the sub $75 price range that I could recommend higher than these.

I can think of one. The S900.
wink_face.gif

It does seem that the JVC FOTM is over at this point. Never went to the S series either.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 19
i have one of these. i started the whole jvc fotm with the harx700 a few months ago and bought into more than i should have
smily_headphones1.gif
(i got the harx700, s700, hag101, and hag770. i still stand behind how good the harx700 is)
anyway i got these open box for 12$. like anything jvc- lots of burn in needed. these are very isolating for their size and like a little amplification. will give decent sound, some bass thump. mids a little rough. highs ok but not great. the koss portapro blosws these away in most matters. nice looking-if that matters. seems durable

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #13 of 19
Anyone else have thoughts on these?

I'm looking for a pair of isolating circumaural presentable closed cans for travel, and these seem to fit the bill for not a lot of cash. I think I'm just going to jump in with them and sell them if I don't like what I get. For $35 i guess I'll just test 'em out.

but if others have experience I'd love to hear it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else have thoughts on these?

I'm looking for a pair of isolating circumaural presentable closed cans for travel, and these seem to fit the bill for not a lot of cash. I think I'm just going to jump in with them and sell them if I don't like what I get. For $35 i guess I'll just test 'em out.

but if others have experience I'd love to hear it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

If you go for it, I'd love to hear what you think too. After looking around at this price point, I went with the HTX7 and I'm not too thrilled with them; mostly a comfort issue. So it's either back at this price or save for those D1001's
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 19
I'm not really interested in the phones, but I wanted to get impressions of the earpads because I've been looking for decent memory foam pads. Are these very soft and conforming or springy and is the covering smooth or that thin crinkly stuff on a lot of cheap phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back