JVC HA-S680 vs Koss ProDJ100 - for music movies and games
Dec 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sad Panda

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, in the spiriting of buying things this weekend I'm looking at a nice pair of headphones for general all around use.
The Koss is $40 after tax on amazon
The JVC is $96 after a 3 year square trade warranty, original price $81. I figured if I get these imported from Japan, I better get the squaretrade just in case.

I'm comfortable spending <=$120 for a pair of headphones (I really don't care which type as long as they comfortable and don't leak sound too much) but I would like to know in terms of performance per price, do the jvc sound at least x2 better? If you guys have another suggestion, I'm all ears
beyersmile.png

edit, I also notice a koss mv1 stereophone for $59, I couldn't really find much about them outside of amazon reviews though.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 11
I consider the DJ100 pretty good headphones for music mainly, not so good for movies or games. Soundstage is pretty limited.
Can't comment on the s680.

Do you have a dedicated soundcard? 

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 11
I do, creative xfi fatality pro I believe. I usually use the turtle beach px5 on my desktop which has the dedicated soundcard, these will probably be more so on the go with my laptop or cellphone than with a soundcard.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 11
The JVC HAS400 is only around $25 though. I love my HAS400. It has so much detail. I haven't heard the HAS680.  The HAS680 most probably sounds better than the HAS400, although the question is whether it sounds that much better than the HAS400 to be worth 4x as much. I guess with headphones if you pick the best in each price category, then a headphone that is double the price might perhaps be 10% or 15% better.

I haven't heard the proDJ100, although many say  it is almost on par with the Sony V6, which I am very familiar with. I enjoy listening to the HAS400 much more than the Sony V6, as the HAS400 has so much more detail. As I said I haven't heard the JVC HAS680, although the HAS400 sounds so good that I doubt the HAS 680 sounds more than 30% or so better. Of course this is all so subjective. The HAS400 is easily available in the US though, and is such a great value. It also feels very well built. My only complaint about the HAS400 is that it is a bit bulky, however it is less bulky than the Sony V6 or Koss PRO DJ100. I wish they had made the HAS400 with a headband and driver enclosures like on the HAS160.

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Hmm for $70, the S680 sounds like a good buy. http://www.fromjapan.co.jp is very confusing to navigate however.
I've decided to get a pair of the Koss ProDJ100 as well just to see how they are. I can just make it a gift If I don't like it.

I also noticed the AKG 240 studio headphones on sale for 60.

I probably am willing to go higher end for a nice pair of headphones so I'm still looking.
Either the JVC S680, the Koss MV1, or the AKG 240. I read that the MV1 need an amp as they are 250 ohms, so that probably wouldn't be ideal for portability. So out of those 3 which would be the best option?

Edit: after doing some more research, it seems that the Grados sr80i is also a good choice. Man there are a ton of options. I'm leaning towards the JVC s680 but if I'd welcome more opinions. I'm planning on keeping the pair I buy for a long time.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Which did you get? I'm really curious about the HA S680, is it actually circumaural? I want it to surround ears, not push top and bottom of them...
I love the sound signature of the JVC FXD 80s, so I figure this would be good for me, would pair with a SoundBlaster Z or the Omni USB thing.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 11
  Which did you get? I'm really curious about the HA S680, is it actually circumaural? I want it to surround ears, not push top and bottom of them...
I love the sound signature of the JVC FXD 80s, so I figure this would be good for me, would pair with a SoundBlaster Z or the Omni USB thing.

It's not circumaural, although the pads are quite large and comfortable.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Ugh, what headphones are then?! They're either all circular and too small to fit an ear, or they're sort of oval shaped but not quite big enough. Why can't anyone copy the Logitech G35 shape, its perfect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back