JVC HA-RX330 modding
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gianni70

New Head-Fier
The JVC HA_RX330 headphones response is originally quite unbalanced with a lot of bass and mid-bass and more or less no mids. This is more or less what owners claim about the predecessor of the RX330, the RX300 model. Here the spectral response of the older

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro...00_All_-_-_All_-_90_20-20k_-_fr_impedance.png

The two model are very similar, at least externally, but they are not identical: the RX300 cup is fixed with two screws, and the drivers are different: the RX300 one is vented with four small holes on the magnet top borders, the RX330 is still vented but with a big central cavity which the aperture is a controlled by an holed plastic screen.

Thinking to tune a little bit the audio response by adding some damping foam inside the cups, I took apart the headphones and I discovered the drivers are vented and they have holed magnets. That gives a quite wide chance to control the speakers response.

9937629_l.jpg

9937628_l.jpg

9937627_l.jpg

The manufacturer kept the speaker back venting port widely open, and according to the literature, that can produce a boomy output, with disruptive interference in the midrange: I've greatly improved the audio performance by closing the venting port with a self-adhesive felt pad (for furnitures..): in this way the bass output is more balanced. Next after some more audio tests I've controlled the back emission of the speakers making use of some foam applied to the back and the inner walls of the cups.

9937633_l.jpg

9937632_l.jpg

9937631_l.jpg

Now the response is much more linear, with good and more controlled bass and quite transparent mids and highs, very enjoyable, detailed and not fatiguing.
So, if you like DIY, with less than 15 bucks and less than one hour of funny cut-and-paste, you will have , in my opinion, a very lovely listening tool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back