JVC HA-FXT90 replacements
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pieman3141

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I bought a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s on sale last year, and they were fantastic. However, the outer layer of the cable is starting to go bad in certain parts, and since this Saturday, the left side is really quiet. I tried jiggling the wire at multiple points (connectors, Y-junction, etc.) to no avail. I think these are gone. Alas.

SO: I'm now looking for a new pair. I've got my eye on the Shure SE425 and Westone UM2 RC. Both are sold at Headphonebar where I live, and I'd prefer something in the $300 CAD price range (or less). Does anyone know of any other options available?

Music preferences: As many as I can fit. I like a LOT of stuff, from classical to bluegrass to pop to metal to rock to EDM. I don't like hip-hop as a genre, but some of the music I listen to do incorporate hip-hop elements.

What I liked about the FXT90s: Speed and range. They were fast, and had a lot of range. Both bass and treble had presence, and they were very noticeable. I THINK the treble rolled off a bit, but I might be wrong. The mids were boosted too, I think. The sound was fast and snappy.

Things I did not like: The fit, and the godawful tips, and the angle. They were also just a bit too large, I think.

Nominally, I'd get IEMs shaped like the q-jays or Apple IEMs, but their build quality sucks or seems flimsy. Shure and  Westone look like they can take a beating, and  the replaceable cables sound like an awesome plan, but I'd like  to have other options so that I don't spend $300.

ALSO:

If I get the Shures or the Westones, can I wear them in front and wrap the cables over my ears, or do I need to do the behind the back thing?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back