JVC HA-FXT100, HA-FXT200, HA-FXT200 LTD HI-SPEED
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #76 of 254
I believe the only main difference between the fxt100 and the HA-FXT200LTD is the build quality. The HA-FXT200LTD has a lot nicer cable than the fxt100 and different colors on the housings. Other than that the sound should be close if not the same, its like the same thing JVC did with the FXT90 and FXT90LT the cable is a lot more durable. I base that only on the fact that the specs are the same just the quality of the materials have changed. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #77 of 254
i don't think fxt100 and 200 sound identical but the sound characteristics should be similar. When jvc released their fxz100 and fxz200, some people reported difference in sound quality between them. Based on that, i am assuming jvc is doing something here.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #78 of 254
Hmmm. Oops, sorry I just noticed that there is an extra part in the HA-FXT200LTD vs the fxt100, there is a bass tube in the FXT200 that is not there in the fxt100. Ya I agree with you FightBrothers they should sound a bit different but should still be close in characteristics though. The parts I guess is what is causing the bass difference but I don't own the fxt100 so I'm not sure.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #79 of 254
Ordered the LTD, I've had good luck with JVC products in the past and I'm a sucker for all those geeky technologies (HI-SPEED TWIN DRIVE SYSTEM HELL YEAH :D). Also found a review where the reviewer think that it's on par with CKR9 but with better dynamic and lesser soundstage (and half the price!). It's also quite power hungry where his Vivo X5max (iirc it has 9018K2M and a rudimentary headamp) can't drive it well but found it "hi-fi" sounding with a Fiio X5 which match with alorora's finding. http://pie.pconline.com.cn/599/5993207.html (in Chinese, but it's quite readable with google and/or bing translate).

Can't wait. :D

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #80 of 254
EDIT: I first posted this impression of my FXT208SE on 16th February (16/2). It is June now and my impressions have changed significantly (positive) since then. Mainly my claim about the bass is outdated - the bass is bottomless and goes audibly down to 20hz. Will update soon :)

Looking at this thread makes me depressed, lol. Why aren't there more people raving about these things? Granted, it isn't even on the international JVC site, and it's so far only widespread in their HQed region which is Japan, but still, these things deserve more rep.

I'm here to try to describe the difference between all the 3 different sets, and also relative to the stuff I have in my possession, namely my main portable IEM, the JVC FX1X (eq'ed), and my home/desktop main headphones, the Beyer DT 880s. Note: My FX1X's are always EQ'ed to counteract the treble peaks at 3khz and 5khz respectively, and ONLY for this reason is it EQ'ed, the rest of the frequency range remains unaltered.

Thanks to Singapore's Stereo Electronics store having imported all these new JVC sets in bulk, I managed to audition all them repeatedly before deciding to actually purchase the FXT208SE. Do give them a visit if you happen to be in Singapore.

First thing I'd like to point out is, ALL of them sound different - yes they have the same general signature, but the whole frequency 'scale' is tilted to either bass or treble (or balanced, in the case of FXT208SE / FXT200LTD - yes these two are the same, I'll get to that in a bit).

Second thing I'd like to point it is that my FXT208s are still on the burn at the moment and although they've changed a lot in the first 48~72 hours,  I've heard what the matured FXT208SE sounds like (from the store) and I know the burn-in is far from done, so I'll refrain on commenting on these directly until the burn-in is complete.

As for the general difference between the sets, I'll just show you generally where they stand on the 'frequency scale', in order of bass-tilted to treble-tilted:

FXT100
FXT208SE / FXT200LTD
FXT200

If you wanted to include their new woodie in (which I dislike, but some people may like it), you can insert that right before FXT200.

FXT100
The FXT100 sounded comfortably dark (like reclusive/hikikomori kind of dark, which is my kinda 'dark' really) but didn't muffle out the treble too much either. I almost wanted to go for these because, as you can tell from my portable being the FX1X, I like to have my sub-bass ripped and rugged =3. I think this was because of the lack of a bass port or something, which is something the FXT200 and FXT200LTD/FXT208SE had. Also, the materials used to make the FXT100s were different too. If your priority is sub-bass, this is the one to get.

FXT200 & FXT200LTD / FXT208SE
FXT200 has the most treble, and lacks any sort of bass-rumble (or at least one that I can hear at reasonable levels).

The FXT208SE is the most balanced, out of all 3 sets, as it sits perfectly in the middle of the FXT200 and FXT100. Its bass does not extend all the way down though, and from my own pair, with the help of SineGen, it only extends until around 25~26hz, and not below that. It also tends to 'slur' its subbass a lot so don't expect a rugged bass rumble from it. 

At the moment it's not finished burning in yet and I don't want to talk about the FXT208SEs solely from my auditions of it from the store so I'll just wait until my pair is completely done before reviewing them in detail.

Difference between the FXT200 and the FXT208SE / FXT200LTD

I was actually really surprised as to why there was sound difference between the FXT200 and the FXT208SE, since the latter is supposed to be just a special/limited-edition set. I asked the guys at Stereo whether the burn-in on either of these things were actually not finished yet, and I pointed out the reason I was asking was because the difference was HUGE - listening to the FXT200 and then listening to the FXT208SE is like listening to jazz on a radio speaker (FXT200) and then being shoved into a disco with dubstep in the background (FXT208SE).

The guys at Stereo initially said that, yes, my suspicions were spot-on, the FXT200s aren't fully burned in. That was on my first audition.

The following week I dropped by again, and asked them the same thing. I think, after I asked them about the burn-in being incomplete the first time, they all actually had a listen to both of these sets side-by-side together, and they all noticed the huge difference too because on the second time that I asked them the SAME thing, their response was "oh yeah we have no idea why they sound different, they're supposed to sound the same because they're made of the same materials, just that, like the FXZs one was aluminium (or iron or something) and the other was brass (or copper or something)." I remember hearing those triple drivers FXZs and I noticed the difference too, even though it was just aluminium vs copper/brass, the difference was there. (forgive my lack of knowledge about the brass/copper thing - I didn't bother digging up info about something I'd only heard once or twice, and 3 years back, so yeah).

Strong point for all 3 JVC FXTs

This, I believe, is the main selling point for these sets. (It's also sufficiently present in most of their other entry IEMs, like the FX101, FX40, FX1X):

SOUNDSTAGE!

I'd even say that it beats my Beyer DT880's soundstage too, but loses on the treble side (DT880's clean treble is, imo, undefeated, not even by its own 'brothers').

Try listening to this with ANY of the 3 sets, and by the GODS do you SEE the SOUND SOAR TO THE HEAVENS AND BEYOND.

But if you think making the sound soar is its ONLY strong point of its soundstage, then I'll have you know you're dead wrong.

Soundstage generally implies that you'll be judging audio on 3 axes, plus roughly 2~3 more things that aren't really 'axes'(plural of axis) but I'll explain below,

1. Z-axis - Front-to-back
2. X-axis - Left-to-right (overlaps with the 'plus-one' below)
3. Y-axis - Top-to-bottom

and 3 more that you've probably heard a lot of;

4. Separation
5. Layering
6. Positioning

(Sorry but I'm not going in any order from here onwards though, so bear with me)

The DT880's lose out on a few of these, but mainly the Y-axis which is responsible for making orchestral choral voices and string instruments soar to the tippy-top of the 'soundstage'.

The Beyer DT880s also loses out to the 3 JVC FXTs in terms of positioning.

Positioning by the meaning of the word alone (in audiophile context) means where the sound is coming from, i.e how good or how convincing the headphone/IEM is at placing these 'virtual' sources of sound around the 'soundstage', and THEN making them as tangible and realistic is possible (recall how some tracks or in-game audio effects sometimes make you look out your window when you thought you heard thunder and rain coming from outside, or when you thought someone was watching you from behind judging by their whispering/breathing and when you turned around, nobody was there). The best tracks to test for this are tracks that have instruments not just on the 3 main XYZ axes, but at the extreme ends of their diagonals as well. Tracks that make you feel like you're standing atop a tall tower overlooking the vast expanse of the world that stretches to the horizon below you.

The DT880s is able to give you a general sense of the 'soundstage', but that's all that it can give you - a general sense of the soundstage. You may say its frickin' wide or wider than the JVCs, but is it convincing? Nope, at least not near ANYWHERE as much as how realistic/3D the JVCs' soundstage are, and across ALL of them at that.

Let me try to describe this. Imagine you're a bat, you 'image' the things (i.e. the virtual sound sources) in your surroundings by echolocation - you roughly gauge how far away a 'thing' is by the amount of time it takes for a sound that you made to bounce back to you.

A good pair of headphones does that. A better one does this:

It doesn't bounce the sound back at you, it PLAYS it at you DIRECTLY from where it is at in 'soundstage space', no loss in quality or loudness (akin to lossy vs lossless audio file formats). From experience, I think this is roughly determined by how well the IEM/headphones can 'peg' or 'hook' their mid-bass/lower-ish-mids to its sky-soaring treble.

In my opinion, the mid-bass, when 'pegged' to the treble correctly, just makes the soundstage positioning THAT much more convincing to the mind, and as a result it sounds much more realistic.

I won't comment on separation and layering, since I think that's easy enough for any of you to figure out what they imply, but generally all of the sets mentioned above are able to decently/crisply separate and 'layer', with the DT880's coming out on top in terms of layering (it is called analytical for a reason).

All in all, I think the JVCs win in the soundstage department, even up against god-tier/high-end semi-open headphones like the Beyer DT880s.
Nothing beats being able to immerse yourself completely in chillstep soundscape XD.

Weak aspects across all 3 sets: upper-mid/lower-treble peaks

I've hinted at this above, but the treble/upper-mids on these have JVC's signature wonky treble peaks in them (centered around 3khz and 5khz), albeit much smaller than their entry-level IEMs, but still it's a dealbreaker if you put it up against things like the DT880s which is god-tier in terms of it's treble cleanliness/smoothness. You can throw anything harsh at it (DT880) and it'll try to pick everything apart piece by piece and then put it back together to ENSURE that it DOES NOT come back out like incoherent stream of background noise, and instead comes out as a nice gentle breeze. Then there's also the long burn-in time to tame the peaks across all JVC IEMs (tames sufficiently around 200 hours, and then completely at around 250+ hours)

It's simply like a slap in the face with things like heavy metal music on the JVCs. I can never find myself looping tracks with any form of distortion or electric guitars (etc, you get the idea) in them because of the treble peaks, ESPECIALLY if they're not burned-in and tamed down. This kind of harshness is completely absent in the DT880s.

You might've heard people claiming the contrary; that the DT880s are the ones that has peaky, strong treble, but that's just because of the 'peak' at around 8khz ~ 10khz (this region actually helps instruments soar in the Y-axis as I've mentioned above, AND also partially helps 'separation' - you can try playing around with this region with an EQ on a generally flat sounding headphone like the Audio Technica M50s and you'll see what I mean). There are also peaks in the ~16khz region which rise quite significantly when paired with an overly strong amp, so there's that too. The DT880's are NOT harsh, it's frickin' clinical in terms of its treble cleanliness up to the 10khz range, after which it gets wonky depending on your amp.

... wow it's gotten this frickin' long already, guess I'll be stopping here then.

Thus far I've only (mainly) described the bass/treble emphasis across the 3 sets and the strong soundstage of all of them against my DT880, but then I've already said SO MUCH so I'll stop here since it's already past midnight at the moment I'm typing this. If you guys want more I can come back another time :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #81 of 254
Thank you for the extensive impression! Made the wait even harder! :D

From distilling all the product pages, press releases and interviews about FXT100/200/LTD in Japan, the only thing they changed in LTD is that the cable is braided inside the gold colored sleeving and that's it (oh and the aluminium faceplate's color I guess). Beside those, it's completely the same down to the of silver coated OFC copper cable and fiber glass housing.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #82 of 254
Seems like the FXT100 would be my choice out of the three then; I have the T90 and love it but wish it got more bass rumble. Although the T90's treble is already prominent ( good thing it doesn't have low-treble empasis like cymbals) and hit my limit, I cannot imagine how brighter the T200 would be and how painful it will get when it comes to high notes, so I'd cross that out. Furthermore, The T100 retains the supple cable that I love from T90 while the LTD's have that stiff cable which cause microphonic issues. So because of these premises, my choice will be FXT100!

Also, I visited to the Stereo store during my visit to Singapore and I agree, I disliked the JVC's woodie FX750 and FX850 I've demoed because their isolation is so bad it feels like they have big holes from the earphones. They failed to block the crowd noise in the store ( and from mall), so all I heard is outside noise not the songs. Isolation is one of my top priority since I hate outside noise from interfering songs I listen and I mainly use my earphone outdoor. I'd get disappointed with the woodies if I chose them.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #83 of 254
Nice explanation and impressions there @iWaffle
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the fxt100 would suit me as well, being a bit of a (sub)basshead. Since they lack ports, do they have good isolation and minimal leakage?

And can anyone compare the fxt100 to the ttpod T1E in terms of sub-bass extension and quantity please?

Cheers

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #85 of 254
Finally got the FXT200LTD, but dang the JVC tips are weird. The medium is too small yet the large tips is too big (don't even bother with the S), no wonder they're selling ML version, separately... Thankfully the IEM works well with heir tips I have lying around.

Now for the sound, I won't comment much since I have to burn it but one thing I immediately notice is how bright it is on bright recording lol. It's also quite effortless and encompassing sounding (nice width and depth). Gonna need some burn-in time to see if the rough edges soften.

And oh yeah, the fitting is great and it's quite light. Also the golden cable actually look quite darkish in person so it's not as gaudy as I thought it'd be seeing the photo on the web. :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #86 of 254
Do you have any channel imbalance? Ive been looking at picking up a pair of the ltds. Literally just bought some Fostex TE05s but id like a good range of iems to listen to :) i owned the fxt90s and sent them back due to imbalance.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #87 of 254
Do you have any channel imbalance? Ive been looking at picking up a pair of the ltds. Literally just bought some Fostex TE05s but id like a good range of iems to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif
i owned the fxt90s and sent them back due to imbalance.

I've listened to some song and can't detect any imbalance. I've looked through several reviews before I bought it and I think the one from here is the only known case, yet.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #88 of 254

Do you have any channel imbalance? Ive been looking at picking up a pair of the ltds. Literally just bought some Fostex TE05s but id like a good range of iems to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif
i owned the fxt90s and sent them back due to imbalance.

This is gonna upset some of you, but yes, I did detect channel imbalances on one or two of the demo sets I've tried. It varied with volume too so it made it rather difficult for me to do comparisons having to adjust the channel balance again and again. I think it has something to do with their dual driver design; I can't imagine the amount of tuning and precision required to get the combined loudness of 2 drivers to EXACTLY match another 2 drivers. If you could actually see the soundwaves inside the IEM housing I imagine it'd look like a massive ****storm of pure chaos, kinda like when you're trying to untangle your IEMs' wires in a windy place.

I'm not bothered by this if you ask me personally, since I have asymmetrical hearing which requires me to make channel balance adjustments across all the stuff I use anyways, so this is barely a new problem for me lol.

Quote:
  Nice explanation and impressions there @iWaffle
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the fxt100 would suit me as well, being a bit of a (sub)basshead. Since they lack ports, do they have good isolation and minimal leakage?

And can anyone compare the fxt100 to the ttpod T1E in terms of sub-bass extension and quantity please?

Cheers

Edit: I almost forgot to comment on isolation. I don't think they leak any sound at all, though I haven't really tested this out yet lol. As for isolation, the FXT208SE's isolation is kinda average, though I'm STILL able to hear high-pitched noises leaking through though; I think this is less apparent on the FXT100 since it doesn't have a bass port but I might be wrong on that count. The extra bass from the FXT100 should be enough 'isolation' though xD.

My FXT208SE has just reached roughly 250 hours burn in and I'm rather disappointed that the bass didn't grow as it did with their cheaper FX101 model. I used the same exact burn-in routine too.
The sub-bass was so whisper quiet that I couldn't tell if its ACTUALLY making ANY sound at all from 30hz downwards, so I guess for my bass needs I'll just stick to my JVC FX1Xs lol.

What DID change however, and this isn't unexpected as I mentioned in my previous post, is that the freaky peaks in the upper-mids/lower-treble mellowed down from extremely harsh to 'just grainy'.

The peaks ARE still there but they've simply shrunk down in size to the point where they just give off the impression of 'grain' in the treble. It's pretty obvious if you use something like SineGen and then sweep across the frequencies from 1khz up to 10khz; you'll notice a bump from 3khz to 5khz, and also one at 7khz (this one supposedly makes 's' sounds annoying but it didn't sound as such when actually listening to songs though.. soo.. idk, your mileage may vary I guess).

I'm still gonna continue the burn-in process until it's well past 300 hours though, just to see if I can get rid of the grain, lol - the Beyer DT880s really do spoil me with regards to treble.

Also, just a warning to anyone that's even thinking of getting the FXT200 variant. That set sounded like a tin can to me, reminded me of the time I tried one of my professor's RE-0 (or was it RE-zero, idk). The difference between the FXT208SE/FXT200LTD vs the FXT200 is like the difference between the cheaper JVC FX101s vs the FX40s - look those up and it'll give you a good idea of what to expect from the FXT200.

EDIT: Now don't be too discouraged to try them after what I've said though lol, as their soundstage is still godlike to me

Also, I haven't said this before, but JVC seems to have their PRaT (pace rhythm and timing) down VERY nicely so that's another plus point for team JVC :).

You'll automatically know if/when a pair of IEMs has got this down just by checking if you're instinctively banging your head and/or tapping your feet while listening to music with them on, even though its treble/bass isn't up to par.

EDIT: THE SUB-BASS IS THERE!
Silly me I tried to 'fish' out the sub-bass in sinegen with my bass EQ on lol. I guess this thing doesn't respond well to EQ in the bass region, similar to the FX101. It mutes out the more you try to boost it. It also has a hardcap/ceiling in terms of how much/loud bass it can output.
So remember guys, listen to these with any sort of EQ turned off. Might also help if you had an amp with a low enough output impedance, as I kinda sensed these things are somewhat power hungry what with the dual drivers and all.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #89 of 254
Because of the bass problem and some channel imbalances u mentioned, I don't know if I should buy this...I would agree that tuning the drivers precisely is difficult

Looking at special drivers used like this and the Ckr9..TLD

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #90 of 254
Because of the bass problem and some channel imbalances u mentioned, I don't know if I should buy this...I would agree that tuning the drivers precisely is difficult

Looking at special drivers used like this and the Ckr9..TLD

..eh I just amended my post with regards to the bass lol. It has somewhat of a decent rumble now that my EQ's off, weird. So don't use any sort of bass boost on this, it'll make it go the opposite way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back