JVC HA-FR201 Am I expecting to much?
Apr 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Canadian Bacon

New Head-Fier
Both my dad and I recently purchased some JVC HA-FR201 earbuds.

Out of the box, the bass seems decent, but the high end is a bit sharp. For a earbud that retails at $40, and purchased on sale for $25, is it of a quality comparable to others in the range? Is it me expecting better quality, or are is this a common trait amongst ear-buds of this price range? 

note: my first post here on head-fi, I hope I posted in the right place. If not, I'm truly sorry. 
redface.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Reading what others are saying, it looks like the JVC HA-FR201 has a v-shaped frequency response and a pretty big treble spike. V-shaped isn't necessarily bad quality, but a lot of cheaper IEMs seem to have it because of what consumers want.

May 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 5
  I had the FX101 which is the non-mic version, if they sound anything alike, then the treble will be less sharp after more normal listening or burn-in.  Give it a week or so.

I've had the 201 for a couple years now. The treble did not settle down IMO. I stopped using them when I got the 1X, since they sounded similar, but better all around (3X replaced the 1X for the same reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back