JVC HA-DX3
Mar 17, 2002 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pj-

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried a pair of these. According to a hifi choice review, they do no wrong. They do weigh quite heavy at 340g, however they have a double headband and large earcups. I love the idea of a wide soundstage with bass.

Mar 17, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 12
I've already posted a review of the DX 1, which might help sate your curiosity. I thought the sound well matched Hi Fi Choice's description of the DX 3 (materially they're almost identical), except that they seemed to indicate a fuller bass on the DX 3, and someone else here who's heard both in a shop situation described the DX 3 as more "lush". Nevertheless I thought the sound of the DX 1, though a little bright, remarkable honest and uncoloured. It's now replaced my Senn 580--that's how good it is.

Mar 17, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the DX3 and thinks it's great. I use it mostly for Rock music but is sounds good with softer music also. It has a nice extended top end and can handle the low notes also. I alternate between it and my Beyer DT 770 when listening to Rock.

Mar 19, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 12
For those of you who are interested in the the DX3s, I think I found a pretty good deal for them here for only $135.95 with free shipping. Sounds like a pretty damn good deal to me, considering that I've only previously been able to find these for 200 bucks. People have complained that the DX3s are overpriced at around a hundred bucks more than the DX1s, so maybe now's the chance to get 'em for cheap!

jvchadx3.jpg

Mar 19, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Now, there's another headphone that fits my budget which I need to consider. Add the JVC HA-DX3 to my list that includes Sennheiser HD580, HD590, Grado SR225, AKG K501, as well as the JVC HA-DX1 (83 bucks). Let me start off by asking, "How well the JVCs are driven directly through the portable or with a cheap portable amp?"

Mar 19, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 12
If you wait a couple of weeks I will be getting a pair of DX3's and an Airhead, so I might be able to answer that question for you.

Mar 20, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 12
'Let me start off by asking, "How well the JVCs are driven directly through the portable or with a cheap portable amp?"'

That's an easy one to answer---not well at all. My DX 1 is around 3 db less efficient than the Senn 580, so I wouldn't be trying to drive it with a portable.

On the subject of the difference between the DX 1 & 3, it's interesting to note that both have exactly the same specs except for weight, where the DX 3 is 40 grams heavier. The drivers are almost certainly the same, and the cans are physically identical except for the copper ear cups of the DX 3. So one has to wonder at the difference in price.

Mar 20, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 12
Not quite the same specs. The DX1 is rated at 45 ohms and the DX3 is 90 ohms. That's going to make the DX3 even more portable unfriendly. Looks like an amp is a must. I believe there was also something in the specs about additional acoustic damping. In your review, didn't you comment that the cups were very microphonic? Maybe the additional damping solves that.

(HBZ)

Mar 20, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 12
Ok, suppose that I rule out the JVC DX3, I'm down to the Grado SR-225s and the Sennheiser HD-590/580s (although I'm leaning more toward the 590s because it's more easily driven, more comfortable, and it just plain looks cool). Shame, since the JVCs, especially the DX3 with copper caps, are some of the coolest looking 'phones I've seen. The closed-design would've been nice when walking down noisy sidewalks, too.

To anyone: Grados 225s or Sennheiser 590s; which is better sounding without an amp?

pp312: You say that the efficiency, or volume level, is low with even the DX1s, but is the sound quality that adversely affected when an amp is not used?

Mar 21, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 12
"Ok, suppose that I rule out the JVC DX3"

Why? Did I miss something? Why are you ruling them out?

As for how they perform with portable equipment I wouldn't know, as I never use portable equipment. I can say this though: The DX1 is an exceptionally neutral and uncoloured product, so I would not attempt to use it with anything not similarly neutral and uncoloured. I get fine results with the Marantz 4000, but of course would expect better results with a better amp so long as the characteristics of said amp were sympathetic--ie, the DX1 needs a warm sounding amp; cold and analytical is out.

Regarding microphony, the DX1 like the DX3 has rubber cups fitted to the ear cups presumably for damping. If so they don't work, though they may have some other function. Microphony in a closed back phone is very difficult to eliminate as vibration essentially has nowhere to go. As stated, I solved the problem somewhat, as well as eliminating mechanical noise from the swivelling joint, by covering the whole back of the cups with Gaffa tape. Since this is black, it actually looks OK, but it means pre-positioning the cups to your head shape since they're obviously going to be immoveable after the tape is applied and won't fit anyone else. If this sounds like a lot of trouble it is, but I couldn't have lived with all that creaking every time I moved my head---those into heavy metal obviously won't be as bothered. I'd like some feedback on this from anyone with a pair of either phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back