JVC HA-D990: replacing the foam insert
Sep 29, 2006 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grzzlo

100+ Head-Fier
I read the thread about everyone getting cheap JVC's from etronics and got excited about the headphones. They were just what I wanted to fill a gap in my collection: cheap, closed, and don't require an amp. Anyway, I got a pair off ebay and they are, for the most part, in excellent condition. They were still in their box and the person said that they had never been used. Anyway, despite this, the foam insert between the drivers and my ears is very old and started to disintegrate the first time I put them on. At first, it seemed like I needed to replace the cushions, since the foam is attached to the cushions.

I called JVC, and the lady said that she couldn't find the HA-D990 in her computer, so I couldn't get any parts. So I've taken the foam out and replaced it with the foam from my Sen 580's, thinking that I can order a replacement from SenUSA pretty cheap (they don't sell the foam insert separately on the web, but I called and they said that I could get it if I talked to spare parts, who had left for the day).

So my question is this: have I changed the sound of these headphones?

I didn't really get much of a chance to hear what these phones should have sounded like with the original foam, so I'm not sure if I've changed the sound by switching the foam. I like the sound, but I don't know what it could have been otherwise. Does anyone think that it could have been noticably different, since the foam certainly is different? I guess I shouldn't really care, since it's a cheap fix and it sounds good, but I just feel it's a shame that I don't have a reference to compare the current sound to. Has anyone else compared the stock foam to other foams?

Also, does anyone think that it may be possible to order the orginial cushions somewhere?

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 10
So after listening to them a bit last night, I'm not entirely sure about using the Senn foam. Does anyone have recommendations for some other easily acquired (and very thin) material that I could try in here to compare?

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 10
hey....don't worry too much. You probably only change the sound very slightly. I ended up doing the same thing with my pair. I still think that the JVC is one of the best bargain under 100 dollars. I have the Sony MDR-V6, V7, and Denon D950 and the JVC is more musical and has more details. The V6, and V7 can be too bright at time, whilee the Denon has too much midbass emphasis. The JVC is more upfront and really fun to listen to.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 10
So you used senn foam, too? And you don't think it sounds dark? Or did it sound dark before, anyway? Did you get a good listen to what it sounded like originally?

I was listening to Thelonius Monk on my Shuffle and it sounded wonderful.
But for some music it seems like it would be nice if it were just a little brighter...

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grzzlo
So you used senn foam, too? And you don't think it sounds dark? Or did it sound dark before, anyway? Did you get a good listen to what it sounded like originally?

But for some music it seems like it would be nice if it were just a little brighter...

The foam is part of the earpad. If you need to replace the foam replace the earpad.

Part# .... J43633-001T. The pads are sold in singles.

http://www.jvcservice.com/service/JP...br=J43633-001T

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Is that the part? Oh, you are a dear.

How did you find it? And are you sure it is the right one? [Edit: I guess you have the headphones, so you should know...] The lady seemed to think they didn't have any parts for the D990. She didn't seem to know what she was talking about, though.

I just talked to Senn and they said they don't sell the foam by itself, you have to buy it with the cushions for $40. So that option is out anyway. The foam's going back in the hd580's. Still, it would be nice to be able to find a cheap piece of foam to put in there, rather than having to buy new cushions...

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Not really...I think they are infact a little bright. The stock and Senn foam isn't that much of a different. Changing the cable make the bass cleaner and also tame the brightness.

(oh....If I can remember correct, the stock phone is a little dark and bottom heavy, but changing to Senn's foam pad and cable really clean up the sound).

Regarding the pads, I think their price is rediculously expensive. I'm sure that you didn't spend more than 30 bucks on the phone and having to pay nearly 40 bucks for the pads isn't such a good idea.

FYI, back in 1992, the JVC was ranked at the top of Class C from Stereophile, while the Sony MDR-V6 was at the top of class D.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 10
I bought maybe 5 of those JVCs from etronics and all of them arrived in horrid shape in exception to one pair, so I kept one and returned all of them. Anyway, shortly after that the original material deteriorated away, and I had an old pair of HD580's pads that I no longer used...so I popped them in as JVC wants 40 bucks for pads. Still though, I don't think you can find a closed headphone under 80 bucks that sound better than the JVC. The V6 has a harsh high, bloated bass, and definitely a recessed midrange and the Senn 280 didn't do much for me.

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, it seems I'm out of luck, since I don't have any spare foam. I guess I'll have to buy new pads. Too bad, since I already spent too much on them anyway, thinking they would be in perfect shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back