JVC FX500 vs Shure E530 & Senn IE8's
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FortisFlyer75

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

(ignore Senn IE8 in the title!)

Just wandering if there is anyone out there who has the experience of been able to compare the sound of the Victor JVC FX500's to the Shure E500/E530's.

My E500's have given up the ghost with terminal & notorious cable split issues (out of warranty) and am contemplating buying the FX500's as they apparantly pair up well with the Sony X-series.

And as good as the Senn IE8's are, even though i must be the only one around that prefers the Shure E500 sound sig over the IE8 i am thinking do i invest in another pair of the expensive E530's or give the FX500's a go for the lesser amount that they cost?

So i just need to compare the FX500 to the Shure's really, so if anyone out there has had the fortune of owning them both and can give me their opinion on them both i would be most gratefull. ; )

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 18
From what I've read, I don't think the FX500 can match the detail and clarity of the shure. I don't know if you have the E500 already, but the E500 is essentially the same thing as the SE530.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 18
I have those three IEMs. To my ears, the FX500's have remarkable clarity, extended highs, recessed midrange and deep, visceral bass. I found the highs too sharp. They were very fatiguing for me and I could only tolerate listening to them for short periods. I would describe the sound signature as pristine bordering on stark. I found them just as detailed as my SE530's; even more so. They had excellent instrument separation and there was no audible hiss on my ipod touch.

These phones are very different animals. The FX500 is a dynamic driver and the SE530 is balanced armature. They render music differently. If you are a fan of the SE530's mids you might miss them when listening to the FX500's. In short, my FX500's are up for sale and my SE530's aren't going anywhere (nor are my IE8's for that matter).

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have those three IEMs. To my ears, the FX500's have remarkable clarity, extended highs, recessed midrange and deep, visceral bass. I found the highs too sharp. They were very fatiguing for me and I could only tolerate listening to them for short periods. I would describe the sound signature as pristine bordering on stark. I found them just as detailed as my SE530's; even more so. They had excellent instrument separation and there was no audible hiss on my ipod touch.

These phones are very different animals. The FX500 is a dynamic driver and the SE530 is balanced armature. They render music differently. If you are a fan of the SE530's mids you might miss them when listening to the FX500's. In short, my FX500's are up for sale and my SE530's aren't going anywhere (nor are my IE8's for that matter).

A bit off topic, it sounds similar to grado 325i.

That is quite a good comparison, could you describe the recessed mids in more detail? I am quite intrigued by the FX500, due to it's wood driver and enclosure.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 18
^ I don't know if I can really, other than to say that "you don't know what you've got until it's gone". I noticed an absence of midrange compared to the SE530's and the IE8's. The FX500's sound dry to me and not as musical as the other two. I've written a couple of lengthy posts about them in the appreciation thread that I don't want to repeat here. This is just one Head-Fier's opinion, there are many others who love them.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, I don't think the FX500 can match the detail and clarity of the shure. I don't know if you have the E500 already, but the E500 is essentially the same thing as the SE530.

Yes, i own the E500's, but unfortunetely as i mentioned the cable split issue had gradually degraded to the point of left channel wire now has an intermittant break in it, so it has had it's day and would ideally get the E530's, which yes, as you say are essentially the same as the E500, but i want to make sure that they have rectified the problem before investing another £250 for them!

Hence with what i had read on the Sony X-series forum the owners on there say the FX500 has a good synergy with the "X" and made me think if it was a good punt worth trying when looking at the price difference compared to the SE530's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Basically that was what my reservation is Iponderous that if i like the SE500 sound as much as i do, which i even prefer over the IE8's (which are still a very good iem) then would i like the FX500's.

The only reason i asked was like i said to Mythless, with a lot of people saying the FX500 had good synergy with the Sony X series which i have would they be worth the punt for around £80 odd pounds, but at the end of the day they are going to be missing something that the E500 give then is it worth getting them and i have read else where that they had a "fatiguing" sound after a while, so it intrigued me what they would sound like in comparison to my E500's.

The mids is one of the things i like about the Shure with it's more overall balanced sound, but it is just ever so bass light in certain situations when compared to say the IE8's but after listening to the IE8's for a long period i do find even with the bass port set to minimum, not fatiguing, but i would just say when i went back to the Shure's that i preffered the more overall balanced sound ( i know that sounds a little contradicting!) and i would also have to add the IE8's seem to have a better & wider soundstage than the E500's but over all i love my E500's!
( i do say that presently without having found a descent pair of tips yet for the ie8's that have a good a seal as my E500's, so who know's when i do find a pair maybe comply 400's i will change my mind there also!)

So i am still intrigued by the FX500's, but just wonder are they worth the punt for the £80 odd pounds or just invest that amount in getting another pair of as they are now the E530's if they have for sure rectified the cable issue.

Thanks for both your input so far, been much appreciated ; )

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit off topic, it sounds similar to grado 325i.

That is quite a good comparison, could you describe the recessed mids in more detail? I am quite intrigued by the FX500, due to it's wood driver and enclosure.

hmm id say the fx500 is a great big chunk better than the 325i. no staby staby in the ears all the time

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm id say the fx500 is a great big chunk better than the 325i. no staby staby in the ears all the time

the fx500 doesnt only stab you in the ears sometimes,but also in your heart...the highs are so harsh sometimes and not shy like the ie8 at all
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 18
Fortisflyer75 the FX500 sounds exactly like iponderous described out of my touch and S738; dry and unmusical. Almost like if it plays music in black and white while my other phones play music in technicolor. I still like them though. Some folks dig this presentation. However, I think they have considerably better synergy with the X than it does with my touch 2G and S738.There's something about the X that doesn't make them sound too dry and gives them more flavor. It also tames there highs a tad. I think I'm not as treble sensitive as most folks here so I don't find the highs on the FX500 to be harsh but they're peaky or have a spike in the treble that some folks might be sensitive to. I'm not exactly experienced to say where exactly that spike is but it's there and I think I might have gotten used to it haha.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortisflyer75 the FX500 sounds exactly like iponderous described out of my touch and S738; dry and unmusical. Almost like if it plays music in black and white while my other phones play music in technicolor. I still like them though. Some folks dig this presentation. However, I think they have considerably better synergy with the X than it does with my touch 2G and S738.There's something about the X that doesn't make them sound too dry and gives them more flavor. It also tames there highs a tad. I think I'm not as treble sensitive as most folks here so I don't find the highs on the FX500 to be harsh but they're peaky or have a spike in the treble that some folks might be sensitive to. I'm not exactly experienced to say where exactly that spike is but it's there and I think I might have gotten used to it haha.

Thanks for the in depth reply there, i think by what you are saying which other people have said when it is with the Sony X it is a different beast.

Without going offtrack too much i personally found my Touch 2G a bit flat and with any earphones until i got a Double Helix LOD for it which made it come to life!

I am not sure if i am treble sensitive or not as such, i am 30+ now so cannot hear asbo sirens at the shops anymore if that is the case! lol

By what i have heard here with out confusing the matter even more for myself my looking at the FX500 appreciation thread that if i cannot afford getting my dead E500's recabled or buy a new pair of E530's then i might take the leap and try out the FX500's anyway and see how they go with my X as do still have a perfectly good pair of IE8's at the moment to listen to as well!

After all when you look at the price of the FX500's compared to the relabbelled FX1000 in UK with it's doubled retail price which i believe is essetnailly the same can then i don't think it will be a huge risk to try these out, after all for good as the my Senn IE8's and my beloved E500's are they are not the perfect iem's even at their price range and am wandering if there is the perfect iem out there that is perfect across the spectrum range with highs, mids & lows with out any spikes, dropouts or seperation issues etc?

Cheers anyway HoneyBoy ; )

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the in depth reply there, i think by what you are saying which other people have said when it is with the Sony X it is a different beast.

Without going offtrack too much i personally found my Touch 2G a bit flat and with any earphones until i got a Double Helix LOD for it which made it come to life!

I am not sure if i am treble sensitive or not as such, i am 30+ now so cannot hear asbo sirens at the shops anymore if that is the case! lol

By what i have heard here with out confusing the matter even more for myself my looking at the FX500 appreciation thread that if i cannot afford getting my dead E500's recabled or buy a new pair of E530's then i might take the leap and try out the FX500's anyway and see how they go with my X as do still have a perfectly good pair of IE8's at the moment to listen to as well!

After all when you look at the price of the FX500's compared to the relabbelled FX1000 in UK with it's doubled retail price which i believe is essetnailly the same can then i don't think it will be a huge risk to try these out, after all for good as the my Senn IE8's and my beloved E500's are they are not the perfect iem's even at their price range and am wandering if there is the perfect iem out there that is perfect across the spectrum range with highs, mids & lows with out any spikes, dropouts or seperation issues etc?

Cheers anyway HoneyBoy ; )

Hey Fortisflyer75 they might be worth a shot but there's still no guarantee you'd like em haha. Even when paired with the X I still find their mids to be too thin and lacking in body. I removed the filters which seemed to have improved things to my ears.

EDIT

I don't really use my pair much because I prefer the IE8 to them. If you want I can loan you my pair. PM if interested.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 18
hehe..i think what you are looking for is the jh13pro
biggrin.gif
.ANYWAY,the FX500 is very good out of my touch 2g and the zune but as HONEYBOY described them,dry and dull(no musicality or fun factor like the ie8),i also tried them with my dad's fuze but it sounded just like the zune....dry and boring.the best synergy i found for them is the touch 2g but still not as enjoyable or airy as the ie8.maybe the sonyX has the magic to bring them to life
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fortisflyer75 they might be worth a shot but there's still no guarantee you'd like em haha. Even when paired with the X I still find their mids to be too thin and lacking in body. I removed the filters which seemed to have improved things to my ears.

True, i still might not like them....
They use filters like the old Shure E2c's do then.

EDIT

I don't really use my pair much because I prefer the IE8 to them. If you want I can loan you my pair. PM if interested.

PM'd you Honeyboy ; )

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe..i think what you are looking for is the jh13pro
biggrin.gif
.ANYWAY,the FX500 is very good out of my touch 2g and the zune but as HONEYBOY described them,dry and dull(no musicality or fun factor like the ie8),i also tried them with my dad's fuze but it sounded just like the zune....dry and boring.the best synergy i found for them is the touch 2g but still not as enjoyable or airy as the ie8.maybe the sonyX has the magic to bring them to life
biggrin.gif

I think there are not many out there that are as airy and open soundstage as the IE8's at the moment?

I take it that is why a lot of people say it sounds fatiguing then and cannot listen to it for long periods if it has a dry, black & white sound to it.

Not familier with the JH13 pro, how much are those? How do they sound then? ; )

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 18
jh13pro is supposed to be the best of the best iem(it is custom by the way)at a price of $1200.
i find the fx500 fatiguing because of the harsh highs and not because they are dry.you should accept HONEYBOY very generous offer before you buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back