JVC Flats...No, I'm Not Crazy!
May 22, 2009 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Stevie B

Head-Fier
About a week ago someone on here posted a thread (in the full size forums) about the JVC flats. I read it and became curious so I headed over to my local Biglots store and picked up a pair for $10.

When I got home I was very skeptical about these and wondered if I had made a mistake. So I plugged them into my Asus laptop (i didn't have access to any of my amps) and all I can say is that I'm VERY impressed.

First they are extremely lightweight and very comfortable. The have good isolation and very little leakage. The sound quality is very good. The highs are a little rolled off, and the bass is light but punchy. The Mids are where these headphones shine, they are very clear and aggressive (very Grado like). They are closed and have that closed sound with a slight airyness too them.

Are these Giant killers: No. They are however a great deal for $10. These are perfect closed portable cans (that you won't be afraid to break) with good sound quality and a low price tag. In the thread I read on these it said the JVC could compete with cans like the V600's & it's price-brackets and have to say I completely agree! For $10 bucks their a steal!

May 22, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 12
JVC "Flats" = HA-S150 (or HP-S150 in Japan)

I'm surprised that I even found a frequency response graph for these:

2epsdn6.gif

Source: ヘッドホン Victor HP-S150

May 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm not sure but for $10 it wouldn't hurt to try.

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Wow, don't know how I missed this before but that's an excellent site. I've been looking for a frequency graph of the HA-DX3 for months.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, don't know how I missed this before but that's an excellent site. I've been looking for a frequency graph of the HA-DX3 for months.

It's easily one of my favorite sites for reviews and graphs. Recently (edit: three months ago), the author put up an interesting article regarding manufacturing variances, using the Flats as an example. I have yet to read it all, and I'm too lazy (and unqualified) to translate it, but here's the link if anybody's interested: 第57回 ヘッドホンの個体差.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 12
I just exchanged a pair of Sony MDR-ZX100's for JVC flats this morning. The sonys are bloated and muddy. I should have went for the JVC Flats in the first place. They sound crisp clean and balanced! The only thing I'm not huge about is how small the earpads are. I expected them to be about MDR-V150/ZX-100 size earpads. Best pair of supra-aural headphones I've ever had.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's easily one of my favorite sites for reviews and graphs. Recently (edit: three months ago), the author put up an interesting article regarding manufacturing variances, using the Flats as an example. I have yet to read it all, and I'm too lazy (and unqualified) to translate it, but here's the link if anybody's interested: 第57回 ヘッドホンの個体差.

That's quite an interesting article, I've been wondering about that for a while. There must be some 'actual' difference in SQ as well as the 'perceived' individual differences. He picked cheap headphones on purpose since it was more likely for them to have a wider variation than the higher priced 'phones which are tightly controlled, manufacturing wise (hopefully). Still the variation is surprising, even between left and right channel of the same unit.

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 12
The HAS160 is a great headphone. It is my favorite headphone under $40. Amazing since this is only around $10-15. I like it much better than the portapro, and almost as much as the PX100. The HAS160 is so neutral. It almost sounds like a mini Sony V6.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 12
I pulled out one of my pairs of HAS160 Flats to compare with some other headphones....and boy do they sound good. I own three pair...and there's a reason. For this price, I have not found anything comparable. Small, lightweight, comfortable, closed, inexpensive, great sound.  I even prefer them to my Koss KSC75's. I find the JVC Flats to have a crisper and more "alive" sound. The JVC Flats also don't leak much, which is nice when I use them on public transportation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back